Wichita State vs. Memphis Pregame Discussion 1-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

They just had a Top 30 recruit de-commit.

https://247sports.com/college/memphi...his-159482155/

They also have not had to face the consequences yet for intentionally violating NCAA rules. I wonder if Memphis will decide to use that ruling whenever it comes to part ways with the U.S.S. Hardaway.
    And from what I can tell, not a single mention of the decomit on their board. Nor is there discussion about our upcoming game or the fact that fans will now be allowed.

I think it's safe to say that the Penny excitement is all but gone from the fanbase.

Comment

And yet they gave him an extension within the last couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

And from what I can tell, not a single mention of the decomit on their board. Nor is there discussion about our upcoming game or the fact that fans will now be allowed.

I think it's safe to say that the Penny excitement is all but gone from the fanbase.
        I saw one person say in response to reinstating fans in attendance, it didn't matter because they have no fans left. My, how things change.

Comment

Yikes! Why should we care what the Memphis fans think about their coach and a player not honoring his commitment. All I know is that the shocks have not beaten Memphis at their place. I would like to see that end. Beating them in Memphis is more important to me. Go shocks.

Comment

Fans are going to be pumped tomorrow. If nothing else, just to for the sake of being able to gather for a ball game.

That kind of atmosphere will pump the Shocks up, and I'll be lookin' for a whole lotta' drive-and-dishin' in Bluff City Thursday night.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
              Fans are going to be pumped tomorrow. If nothing else, just to for the sake of being able to gather for a ball game.

That kind of atmosphere will pump the Shocks up, and I'll be lookin' for a whole lotta' drive-and-dishin' in Bluff City Thursday night.
              Hopefully they wear themselves out before the game on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                Yikes! Why should we care what the Memphis fans think about their coach and a player not honoring his commitment. All I know is that the shocks have not beaten Memphis at their place. I would like to see that end. Beating them in Memphis is more important to me. Go shocks.
                We beat them by 20 at Memphis in the 2017-2018 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pickle View Post

We beat them by 20 at Memphis in the 2017-2018 season.
                  Ok. My bad I forgot about that one. I just remember their coming into Koch Arena and stealing one from our boys. Still I want to beat them in Memphis.

Comment

2 cents from N Roll:
                    This is a game we can and should win, and need to win to keep our drive towards a conference title alive.
                    Memphis has athleticism and talent, but not cohesion as a team unit. Our Shox play better as a team, and our improved athleticism allows us to match up much better than in the previous 2 seasons. Our depth at guard, and the ability of our guards to handle pressure make us better positioned to handle and counter Memphis main offense (fast breaks off TO).
                    The main keys to victory as I see it are, as some of you have stated:

--Rebounding. Memphis will be crashing the boards hard. We must prevent allowing them to get rolling thru 2nd chance opportunities. The early 2nd half run by Houston was kept alive when they continued to get 2 and 3 shots per possession. This will need to be addressed by using the players who are aggressive on the boards. The 3 headed monster needs lead by the one boxing out and grabbing DR's. Hopefully Mo continues to do this. Monzie and Ricky need to be ready to come in and clean that glass. Dex needs aggression too. IB needs to shorten the leash a bit on guys who give up OR's through missed blockouts. If Craig is ok to play, his rebounding always seems to be legit.

--Handling the pressure. AG, Ty, Dex, Ricky, lil Wade, Craig and whoever else is handling the rock needs to not get too sped up, But also know when to push in transition. The guards in this team seem way more capable of doing this. AG needs to penetrate in our halfcourt sets, and kick. I think letting Ricky and Monz drive can be beneficial too. Ty can always make them pay for crowding him on the outside. These Shox have been good vs. getting blocked, and they need to continue to make smart choices on the inside with their finishes. Drive to create fouls will be a positive.

--Taking quality shots. Mo will have newfound attention, and needs to kick it out instead of forcing. Cisse can make him pay if he doesn't. Ty's green light needs to be smart looks. His will come, he doesn't need to force looks that aren't good. We should also get to the line early and often. Our ball handlers can totally benefit from the fouls that will come with the Memphis pressure

-- Stay together. This Shox team has no quit in them. There will be runs. They need to continue their winning mindset, and keep doing what has gotten them this far.

I know, seems simple, and nothing we don't know. But we are the superior team, and this is a Roadie we need to keep pace with Houston. We are where a lot picked Memphis to be, and they are about where we were predicted to be.

Play our game the Shocker way, and we come out in Victory.

Let's do this, men.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

They just had a Top 30 recruit de-commit.

https://247sports.com/college/memphi...his-159482155/

They also have not had to face the consequences yet for intentionally violating NCAA rules. I wonder if Memphis will decide to use that ruling whenever it comes to part ways with the U.S.S. Hardaway.
                      That would be a PR disaster....for them...

Comment

Originally posted by Shocknroll33 View Post
                        2 cents from N Roll:
                        This is a game we can and should win, and need to win to keep our drive towards a conference title alive.
                        Memphis has athleticism and talent, but not cohesion as a team unit. Our Shox play better as a team, and our improved athleticism allows us to match up much better than in the previous 2 seasons. Our depth at guard, and the ability of our guards to handle pressure make us better positioned to handle and counter Memphis main offense (fast breaks off TO).
                        The main keys to victory as I see it are, as some of you have stated:

--Rebounding. Memphis will be crashing the boards hard. We must prevent allowing them to get rolling thru 2nd chance opportunities. The early 2nd half run by Houston was kept alive when they continued to get 2 and 3 shots per possession. This will need to be addressed by using the players who are aggressive on the boards. The 3 headed monster needs lead by the one boxing out and grabbing DR's. Hopefully Mo continues to do this. Monzie and Ricky need to be ready to come in and clean that glass. Dex needs aggression too. IB needs to shorten the leash a bit on guys who give up OR's through missed blockouts. If Craig is ok to play, his rebounding always seems to be legit.

--Handling the pressure. AG, Ty, Dex, Ricky, lil Wade, Craig and whoever else is handling the rock needs to not get too sped up, But also know when to push in transition. The guards in this team seem way more capable of doing this. AG needs to penetrate in our halfcourt sets, and kick. I think letting Ricky and Monz drive can be beneficial too. Ty can always make them pay for crowding him on the outside. These Shox have been good vs. getting blocked, and they need to continue to make smart choices on the inside with their finishes. Drive to create fouls will be a positive.

--Taking quality shots. Mo will have newfound attention, and needs to kick it out instead of forcing. Cisse can make him pay if he doesn't. Ty's green light needs to be smart looks. His will come, he doesn't need to force looks that aren't good. We should also get to the line early and often. Our ball handlers can totally benefit from the fouls that will come with the Memphis pressure

-- Stay together. This Shox team has no quit in them. There will be runs. They need to continue their winning mindset, and keep doing what has gotten them this far.

I know, seems simple, and nothing we don't know. But we are the superior team, and this is a Roadie we need to keep pace with Houston. We are where a lot picked Memphis to be, and they are about where we were predicted to be.

Play our game the Shocker way, and we come out in Victory.

Let's do this, men.
                        Man you hit that assessment out of the park. Some kid has got that ball and running home. Great job. Go shocks.

Comment

Do we know if Porter's injury allows him to play vs. Memphis?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                            Haven't heard any report at all.

Maybe coach mentioned it on his show yesterday? Wade can handle court time if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                              Yes, he is expected to play but not at 100%. CJ is in the same boat, but with a back issue.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Yes, he is expected to play but not at 100%. CJ is in the same boat, but with a back issue.
                                OK. I'm pretty sure I know who you're taking about, but how are we referring to Clarence Jackson and Chaunce Jenkins again?

Comment

Working...
                                X