Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aargh
    replied
    I hate to give an example from my days playing intramural ball, but I believe I have a track record of not letting stupidity stop me from posting.

I could ALWAYS beat my defender into the lane. I could always draw a big defender to stop me from getting to the hoop. I'd look for the open big and they were all moving into a rebounding position instead of looking for a pass and if I wanted to pass my best option was to try to bounce the ball off the back of their heads to see if I could catch it after bouncing it off the backs of their heads.

When I could get to the hoop, I never figured out how to get the bounce off the board to go in the hoop at the speed I was going. When you get to the hoop going full speed down the lane, it's not at all like running a layup drill. The ball comes off the backboard really hard and unless you throw it up there backwards and know how to comepensate for your speed, it ain't going in.

Gilbert does some things getting into the lane that cause him problems. Off ball movement recognizing the situation could solve that problem.

Leave a comment:

• shock
    replied
    Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

I don’t remember that particular play but I wasn’t impressed with some of the calls and non calls.
    High flying block coming from behind the layup to smash the ball against the backboard. Player was already past the back board by the time dex flew in and spiked it.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I was trying to figure out why AG was not passing to our Bigs like he did at UCONN. But I think your right. You nailed it. Our Bigs don't move to the right spots quick enough. Heck IPBC doesn't even demand the ball like a Big. Our Bigs need to get better at moving to right spot and creating the right angle to receive the pass. Go Shocks.
    I'm thinking it'll happen eventually. Only 10 games into the season thus far. Covid, 2020, familiarity etc. When it happens (clicks)...it'll be a hallelujah moment!!!

Go Shocks!!!

Leave a comment:

• TheShocktocles
    replied
    Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
    Regarding AG getting stuck in the lane sometimes. Perhaps our bigs need to get open better and quicker when he does that. I think he wants to make a backdoor pass for an easy bucket to one of them...but they don't cut quick enough to an open angle. I mean he's been a point forever and I venture to say he kinda knows what he's doing.
    I was trying to figure out why AG was not passing to our Bigs like he did at UCONN. But I think your right. You nailed it. Our Bigs don't move to the right spots quick enough. Heck IPBC doesn't even demand the ball like a Big. Our Bigs need to get better at moving to right spot and creating the right angle to receive the pass. Go Shocks.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Shocker
    replied
    Regarding AG getting stuck in the lane sometimes. Perhaps our bigs need to get open better and quicker when he does that. I think he wants to make a backdoor pass for an easy bucket to one of them...but they don't cut quick enough to an open angle. I mean he's been a point forever and I venture to say he kinda knows what he's doing.

Leave a comment:

• WeWillShockU
    replied
    Originally posted by shock View Post

Was he the one that whistled dex on the block where he was never even close to the player?
    I don’t remember that particular play but I wasn’t impressed with some of the calls and non calls.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Leave a comment:

• 1979Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    I’m going to stick up for Mo a bit. He hung around and had he left, I am positive we wouldn’t have upgraded his position that late. We are a better team with than without him, in terms of both depth and character.
    Mo has made a lot of improvements since last year. One of his biggest improvements is his free throw shooting. Knowing that he's going to get fouled a lot, that's a big plus. But like a lot of people have said, he needs to improve his rebounding and up his BBIQ (know when to pass out of double teams, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• wichshock65
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    Really like how the Shox looked in this game. Looked cohesive and rebounded the ball better (particularly on the offensive end). I have to say that I am over the moon excited about our guard play. AG and CP2 at the point and TE and RC4 at the 2 spot. Very dependable and consistent each game. Good guard play can take you far. Although, I would like to see AG not get trapped in the paint so much. If there is a lane take it, if you have 3 bigger dudes clogging things up, don't take that chance. Thought JB looked good in his limited time. That offensive rebound and mid-range jumper was a slick thing of beauty. The kid shows flashes. RC4 played much better on defense. Was pleased with Trey's defense and rebounding as well.

Leave a comment:

• shock
    replied
    Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
    Is there a worse official than Zelton Steed? The guy big foots over other officials and made a horrible no call on Tyson’s break away at the end of the game and gave Cincinnati the ball.
    Was he the one that whistled dex on the block where he was never even close to the player?

Leave a comment:

• molly jabali
    replied
    My coaching days are long gone, but my favorite tech I ever received was telling a showboat ref(we had him a lot) "not one person besides maybe your wife paid a penny to see your ACT tonight"

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Originally posted by DCShockerFan05 View Post

My generous interpretation of that was that he legitimately saw a foul, saw his colleague blow whistle/raise arm, and figured he'd seen the same thing. When the call wasn't as he expected, he jumped in to correct it. But that doesn't excuse not just making the call himself as it happened.
    There are a number of times during games that you could call a foul, but it doesn't really impact the game so you don't. The foul in this scenario wasn't egregious in the moment, but it ended up leading to the team that was fouled to lose the ball, so since the ball wasn't given to Cincy, the foul was called. It wasn't a wrong call. There are time where the ball is given to the team that last touched it because of a foul that isn't called.

Fouls aren't always black and white. A lot of times, if it doesn't impact the game or isn't just painfully obvious, they don't get called. It's pretty common and happens in every game at every level every night.

Leave a comment:

• DCShockerFan05
    replied
    Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Is that the guy who called a foul on Mo two seconds after the other official signaled Shocker ball? Believe it was early in the second half. Never seen anything like that. He didn’t have his arm raised as the closer official was signaling WSU possession.
    My generous interpretation of that was that he legitimately saw a foul, saw his colleague blow whistle/raise arm, and figured he'd seen the same thing. When the call wasn't as he expected, he jumped in to correct it. But that doesn't excuse not just making the call himself as it happened.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Is that the guy who called a foul on Mo two seconds after the other official signaled Shocker ball? Believe it was early in the second half. Never seen anything like that. He didn’t have his arm raised as the closer official was signaling WSU possession.
    Yes, he was the guy that was consistently calling fouls from the other side of the court, while out of position and overriding the ref that had a direct and clear view of the play.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X