Wichita State vs. #11 Houston Game Thread 1-6-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apkbaum View Post

I’m wondering if they are limiting his playing time because he still isn’t 100%? Seems like if he plays in the first, he doesn’t touch the court in the second.
    I understand limiting minutes if not healthy, but I'm sure he can play more than three minutes in one half while sitting the rest. Even 8-10 minutes could go a long way in development and confidence, as well as helping our team. The kid works hard and should be rewarded for it.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• We have 7 tough games in a row, so hopefully he can show something in practice because there are no easy games until Tulane on Feb 3. Cincy looks to be down this year but always plays us tough. This stretch of games could make or break our season.

Comment

• Tyson is a really good player but what I like the most about him is his attitude. Nothing soft in his approach to winning. Mo would be a capable 5 in the Valley but he is overmatched in the AAC. Bilau has the size and athleticism to make up for his lack of experience. More game experience will make him better. No amount of game time will help Mo.
        I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• 6 assists for the game is not enough. Gilbert had 4 of them.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Agree with your points Woodrow. I missed the lack of assists last night. Team has been out rebounded for the season
            despite two really weak opponents. Only way to improve is better center play. JB has a lot of upside potential and
            Poor Bear has some, as well. MU just doesn't have any polish on either end of the court and IMO little upside. I'd
            like to see coach bite the bullet now, roll the dice, and go primarily with the Bear and JB. Perhaps that scenario
            would light a fire in MU and we could see some improved play.

Comment

• Originally posted by apkbaum View Post

I’m wondering if they are limiting his playing time because he still isn’t 100%? Seems like if he plays in the first, he doesn’t touch the court in the second.
              I thought he looked ok too in the first half. Either this reason or coach still has a lack of trust to play him when we are losing the momentum and behind 10 points or so? Coach IB does see him everyday.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I thought he looked ok too in the first half. Either this reason or coach still has a lack of trust to play him when we are losing the momentum and behind 10 points or so? Coach IB does see him everyday.
                  Or, does he just forget about him? I recall earlier in the season when we only had a roster of 8 I think and he completely forgot he had available players when we were dealing with foul trouble and cramping.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                    Tyson is a really good player but what I like the most about him is his attitude. Nothing soft in his approach to winning. Mo would be a capable 5 in the Valley but he is overmatched in the AAC. Bilau has the size and athleticism to make up for his lack of experience. More game experience will make him better. No amount of game time will help Mo.
                    Looks like Woodrow and I are on the same page of the hymn book.
                    I do not like rude behavior either.

That is all.
                    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Or, does he just forget about him? I recall earlier in the season when we only had a roster of 8 I think and he completely forgot he had available players when we were dealing with foul trouble and cramping.
                      Sub,
                      I wondered the same thing about JB. But then again, where are the assistants? Isn't BK a highly respected, veteran head coach?
                      I'm not saying MU doesn't try or work hard. It's just matter of ability and ability to play at a higher level. There is a place for everyone and their ability.

That is all.
                      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That's a possible third option. I don't know which one it is. Another part of this is that IB was the Bigs Coach in the past, so he may have more insight into all of the bigs (example: one may be a harder worker than another), or he may have a bias for MU and a little less so for Poor Bear. I think the bigger transgression (or at least I think is easier to notice) is that PB is playing better than MU and deserves more minutes. PB's defense has been good, and he is playing with confidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

It would be nice if things could click for Jackson sooner than later. I think he just has more raw ability than Trey but he’s just too unreliable on the little things to have on the floor for too long against teams like Houston.
                          I agree. He has got to get better understanding defensive assignments and other small details. But clearly the talent is there. I am not sure why he is disconnecting on some assignments, but I sure hope it clicks in soon. He can be a tremendous help to this team. I also see some of the same issues with RC IV. But hey they are new to the program and so us fans and coaches will have to go through the growing pains. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Just got back from the game. Don’t really wanna type out a long drawn out observation, but I was glad we played tough and kept it respectable. We have a lot to learn as a team and have a lot of upside still. I like Gilbert but have never seen a guy play smaller than Gilbert. Dude has no ups whatsoever and no confidence once he gets in the paint. I do like his ball handling, speed and penetrating abilities.
                            I like AG too. And I am not worried about his ups. Those qualities are more than good in my opinion. But man he has got to change some of his ways if he wants to be the player everybody thinks he can be. First and foremost Rum The Dam Offense. Be a pass first point guard. Second he has got to shoot a better percentage from the free throw line and he has to improve on knocking down open 3 pointers. I am not being hard on the guy. I realliy like him. But he has to understand the standard that has been set by point guards at WSU. For example free throw shooting:

Clevin Hannah 85% (I cant even recall CH missing a free throw)
                            Joe Ragland 80%
                            Fred Van Vleet 80%
                            Landry Shamet 80%
                            C Frankamp 80%
                            SHJ 80%

I realize that I am not giving their exact percentage for the above players but I am rounding up. Heck if I round up for AG he is shooting 67%. Do not tell me that is good enough. The same with his 3 point shooting. Other teams know that TE and DD are two good 3 point shooters so they are concentrating on them on the defensive end. So that means AG and TW have to knock down those open 3 points shots they are given in the game. Like that lady announcer said on the Mississippi game you let AG take open 3 pointers. Teams did the same with Jamarius Burton his freshman yr at WSU. Unfortunately AG does not have a summer to get better. It must come during the season. GET IN THE GYM AND SHOOT. Don't tell me it can't be improved. Look how MU improved his free throw shooting. Now my rant is over. Go Shocks.

Comment

• This game was right there for the taking until about 3 minutes in to the second half. Credit to Houston for making defensive adjustments to completely take the Shox offense out. Defense changed and the Shox switched to more of a one on one game and that never works out well. Especially when you can't get an offensive rebound to save your life. Rebounding needs to be THE emphasis going forward. I thought Bilau brought energy but then disappeared on the bench for some reason. I really like the effort and energy that IPBC brings. He needs to be starting with Udeze coming off the bench and possibly even after JB. Udeze cannot figure out what he needs to do on defense to rebound.

DD and TE were money as usual. Trey needs to stop taking threes, period.

Comment

• Another great article from Taylor today. He should be required reading for all WSU fans. I know I learn a lot from his perspective and game breakdowns.

Comment

Working...
                                X