Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 NET Rankings Thread (Initial rankings 1/4/21)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Ah yes the ole moving goal posts. Wins vs the field (who is the field? who they decide? circular logic here). Top 100 teams? Because beating 103 UCF is SOOOO much worse than beating 98 Northwestern (5-14). Beating Houston "by a whisker" (by 5) ... I'm guessing no one will mention that Duke beat Virginia "by a whisker" (by 1)
    It's just so frustrating. It's like we're in the Missouri valley all over again. Not in a million years would I have guessed we would be first place in the American and not even knocking on the door of the tournament. Just weird!

Comment

Just keep winning. The opinions will come around.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
        Just keep winning. The opinions will come around.
        Bold of you to assume we have games left to win!

Comment

Bracketology is something fun to talk about and it generates clicks but I don’t particularly care what Lunardi, Palm or any of those guys think. Last I checked they don’t actually set the field and usually aren’t that accurate until the day before selection Sunday. And that’s in a normal year, let alone this upside down bizarro season we’re living in.

I probably won’t read the article. Shockernet has been saying what we need to do to get in for a solid month now. Just because the big names can be bothered to actually look at our resume now doesn’t mean anything has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
            Bracketology is something fun to talk about and it generates clicks but I don’t particularly care what Lunardi, Palm or any of those guys think. Last I checked they don’t actually set the field and usually aren’t that accurate until the day before selection Sunday. And that’s in a normal year, let alone this upside down bizarro season we’re living in.

I probably won’t read the article. Shockernet has been saying what we need to do to get in for a solid month now. Just because the big names can be bothered to actually look at our resume now doesn’t mean anything has changed.
            Even right before the selection they're not as accurate as they want you to believe. I don't think a single one you mentioned is better than average in any given year when it comes to their bracket projections. And that includes their late tweaks after all games have been played and they'd already made adjustments.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Bold of you to assume we have games left to win!
              Is it? If the games don’t happen there’s nothing anyone can do. If they do happen, then what proshox said is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

It's just so frustrating. It's like we're in the Missouri valley all over again. Not in a million years would I have guessed we would be first place in the American and not even knocking on the door of the tournament. Just weird!
                Actually in the year of Covid, the Valley is a better conference to be from, it appears.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

If 3-4 of our close wins turn into losses (which they easily could've and probably should've) this season has a totally different feeling. And we're talking matters of 2-3 points. WSU is very fortunate to be 13-4.
                  True, but one could also say with a full roster, we could be 15-2. We were severely undermanned when we played Missouri and Ok. State. I see both sides to the argument, but at the end of the day all that matters to me is a win or a loss.
                  Last edited by WstateU; February 22, 2021, 11:14 AM.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Sitting at #23 :) Nice to see some recognition after Thursday's win. Still a way to go with this team!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...atest-power-36

Comment

Originally posted by apkbaum View Post
                      Sitting at #23 :) Nice to see some recognition after Thursday's win. Still a way to go with this team!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...atest-power-36
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

So imagine, Colgate plays absolutely nobody, but wins their games by an average of 20 points, shoots better and handily outrebounds their all over 200 Net Rankings opponents.
                        Colgate's strength of schedule is 200+.

Wichita State barely wins their games in a much tougher conference, strength of schedule at beginning of year is 26, but sinks to 46 because of cancellation of a big tournament.
                        We barely beat our opponents, barely outshoot our opponents, and barely outrebounds them.

But in the Potempkin world we live in, where the tournament is controlled by the Power Five Conferences, Colgate is ranked 11 and WSU is ranked 68!

Also, Power Five schools like Indiana, Duke and Maryland who are barely above 500% winning record, and even Power Five schools with losing records like Penn State, Northwestern and blue-blood Kentucky are equal, or even significantly above us in the most important Rankings (KenPom, RPI, Net Rankings).

This is so despite the fact that WSU has been one of the 10 most successful schools in the country for a decade, and Colgate, Penn State and many others ranked above us have no history of basketball success.

Then imagine diehard WSU fans go on the schools forum and try to justify how WSU is accurately ranked. If only we won our games by more points, if only we rebounded better, surely we would rank higher!

Well, you don't have to imagine it, this is reality.

As PT Barnum said, there is a sucker born every minute and two people to take advantage of him.

It's one thing to get screwed, it's another thing altogether to participate, or then try to justify being screwed.

DIck Vitale knows the score.

Comment

Tied for 36 in the AP.

Comment

PS. There is no way on God' s green earth that the Mo Valley is even close to the American.
                            Our lowest school is in the 160's and the Valley has several schools ranked at or below 200.
                            A comparison of strengths of schedules show American teams, therefore, rank much higher.

The American is ranked no. 7 and the Mo Vall is ranked no. 11!

What a bunch of dolts, every one on here ought to be sorely pissed about how WSU is being treated, yet again.

Comment

The Associated Press college basketball poll started on Jan. 20, 1949. The original poll had 20 teams, with Saint Louis the first school to hold the No. 1 ranking. From the 1961-62 season through 1967-68 only 10 teams were ranked. It expanded again to 20 teams from 1968-69 through 1988-89. The Top 25 began the next season, and it has stayed at that number ever since. The AP's final poll is released after the field for the NCAA Tournament is selected.

Comment

They seem to think we are in as of now...
                                WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — Wichita State headed north to South Dakota to open its season with an interim coach a week on the job, a roster almost completely turned over from last season and almost no...

Comment

Working...
                                X