Wichita State vs. Ole Miss Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. Ole Miss Pregame Discussion

Sorry, not the fancy pre game discussion thread ... But it's less than 24 hours out and not a thread yet.

Was kinda shocked to see that Ole Miss opened as 7.5-10 point favorites per vegas. I'm not a betting person but that feels like easy money to bet on the shocks. Ole Miss is coming off an 18 point loss @Alabama.

Not sure what to expect. Gotta slow down Shuler if we are going to win this one. I would like to see a clear effort to hit the boards this game, particularly since they are a good offensive rebounding team.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Sorry, not the fancy pre game discussion thread ... But it's less than 24 hours out and not a thread yet.

Was kinda shocked to see that Ole Miss opened as 7.5-10 point favorites per vegas. I'm not a betting person but that feels like easy money to bet on the shocks. Ole Miss is coming off an 18 point loss @Alabama.
      Sorry Stick. Got busy and totally forgot to get this thread started. Thanks for covering!

Take the Shox and the points.

Comment

I’d love a win
        i predict a close loss
        tough to win after a layoff

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Sorry Stick. Got busy and totally forgot to get this thread started. Thanks for covering!

Take the Shox and the points.
          You're pushing your luck ……..

Comment

7-10 point dogs actually sounds just about right. Our bigs do not match up well with SEC type big men. It will have to take extra effort from our guard play to pull off the upset.

I feel like a game like this (now into January) will show us if we’re an NCAA caliber team or not (and no we don’t have to win it for us to be one either)
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I agree that the post play will have to step it up. They need to stay on the floor, rebound and not foul. I think we are as talented on the perimeter as they are. Our bigs need to show they rise up too. Looking forward to a good game.

Comment

Dang I wish we still had AM.
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Dang I wish we still had AM.
                  But then we would have 14 on scholarship.

I know that AM didn't sell anyone on his play last year. I was buying AM hard after the NIT run. He was solid then, but he slipped again last year. His inconsistency was frustrating. Maybe he just needs to play (warts and all) to be more effective. I haven't watched him this year but he may still have difficulties on defense but he needs to play a lot. We would still have 3 Centers this year although, with JB's injury, we may end up with only 2. Maybe MU, and PB would have done well at Grand Canyon. I would imagine their competition level is a step down.

Furthermore, I would imagine that in an emergency (fouls and injury to JB), Seymour would get a chance.

Comment

Big game. This will give us a good opportunity to see if this team has progressed. Full roster, plenty of practice time - should be able to give Ole Miss at least a run and would be huge for their confidence if they continue to be road warriors.

Comment

We do have a couple coaches who know how the Ole Miss coach thinks and that may help out a little. Good article on kansas.com by Taylor regarding how the Ole Miss head coach, Kermit Davis, was the head coach at Texas A&M when Isaac Brown played there:

It’s been a little more than 30 years since Kermit Davis visited the home of Isaac Brown in Pascagoula, Mississippi, to recruit him to the Texas A&M men’s basketball team for the 1990-91 season.

Now the two will meet again some three decades later, when Brown, the interim head coach at Wichita State, brings his Shockers (5-2) to The Pavilion in Oxford to take on Davis’ Mississippi Rebels (5-2) for a 5 p.m. showdown on ESPNU. Current WSU assistant coach Billy Kennedy was also an assistant on Davis’ staff that season.

Davis said he was ecstatic to see Brown finally receive an opportunity to be a head coach.
                      Source - https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...248218580.html - not behind a paywall so if you see a login you may have to use incognito or private window to view
                      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Pregame:

Ole Miss is a lot like WSU. Play a lot of guys. A lot of those guys are mid range height wise (6-7 to 6-9), and maybe a little more comfy inside with their mass. That being said, the game will probably be decided by the outside shot (duh, which games aren't anymore).

But the two teams are pretty similar by the numbers. EXP appears to be a "wash" between the two teams. Ole Miss may be a little turnover prone. Being a 10 point underdog, I feel like somebody knows something that can't be seen on paper.

WSU has traditionally (in the last decade and even under the Turg) upped their game against big name opponents. Ole Miss checks the "name brand" box and the conference is, well, its the SEC. So yeah. This ain't Tulsa, who we may have beaten on the road, but the Shocks will have to bring their "D" game (Dennis Defense) if we hope to pull this one out.

Devontae Shuler is bad guy numero uno

and he will dictate the play for Ole Miss. Corral him and the Shocks have a shot. And speaking of shots, Ole Miss' shooting #s are a little too similar to the Shocks, and they can struggle with FTs as well. So hope we have one of our better days...

and they come in firing blanks.

Lace 'em up, pardner, and go Shocks!!!!

Comment

We will probably lose the rebound battle in most games including this one. Our keys to winning #1 a harassing defense
                          that disrupts their flow, #2 a reasonably good offensive flow of our own, and #3 keeping TO's under ten. Ole Miss by 9

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                            We will probably lose the rebound battle in most games including this one. Our keys to winning #1 a harassing defense
                            that disrupts their flow, #2 a reasonably good offensive flow of our own, and #3 keeping TO's under ten. Ole Miss by 9
                            4. foul trouble

Comment

They have a maximum of 10% capacity right now, I believe. If correct, that would mean a max 950 fans at the Pavilion. That could help a little.
                              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X