No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Newman Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would have loved to see us play Mo State. Newman is better than sitting on our arse though.

Comment

• Comment

• Unfortunately there will be more of this sort of thing as the season moves along. Hopefully not too much, but at least we get a game and we get more game time...is it still on ESPN+?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          Really good article. Sounds like they knew well before the conference announcement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
            Unfortunately there will be more of this sort of thing as the season moves along. Hopefully not too much, but at least we get a game and we get more game time...is it still on ESPN+?
            6pm ESPN+

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

You are absolutely right. Its a scam anybody that can't see it is just blind. They always penalize the shocks. I remember the NCAA taken into account some power 5 schools having major injuries to star players at the beginning of a year and saiying that those early season losses should not count against their record for tournament selection. But then penalized the shocks Van Vleet`s senior year when we had so many injuries. The shocks were forced to play in the play in game against Vanderbilt. They would not have done that to a so-called power 5 school. There is no question thre is a double standard.

That being said I still root for the Shocks against Newman. Our young team needs games. Go shocks.

Comment

• Agree totally

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

We've actually had really good luck getting Home and Homes with power five teams.

OU OSU
                  KSU
                  Missouri
                  Baylor
                  Seton Hall
                  Alabama

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. The 24 hour turn around would be tough, but let's not act like other teams haven't been able to work out good replacement games.

​​​​​

Comment

• Especially at home

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post

As I said in my initial post, I believe it will be used against WSU because they played two non-D1 programs. The schedule, regardless of circumstance, is the excuse for the selection committee to use it against WSU if they so desire.
                      I guess I’m just wondering specifically how it will be used against us. Do you mean as a tie breaker? Like if it comes down to us and one or a few other teams for the last spot are they going to decide based on number of total division 1 games played? If so then what can we really do? We attempted to get other games and no was was available or willing. Play a D2 opponent or play no opponent at all, it won’t change the total number of D1 games. Might as well get in some live practice/scrimmage.

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                      A win against a non-D1 opponent is not a "resume builder" in fact a win by anything less than 20 ideally 30 could be used against WSU come selection time.
                      It seems unlikely that point spread against D2 opponents will be considered by the committee. It is a weird year so I guess it’s not impossible.

There are ample opportunities in the conference to gather more wins, however conference play, especially in the AAC has not been kind to our beloved Shocks.
                      We finished 2nd in our first year and got a five (four?) seed. All we can ask for are the opportunities to get wins. It’s up to the team to take advantage of them. If we’re not able to win enough to build a resume then we probably aren’t a tourney team anyways and two games against ESU and Newman aren’t going to change that.

My question to you is, what example do you have from previous NCAA selection years, leads you to believe that Wichita State will be given the benefit of the doubt by this group? My memory may be jaded and I am omitting something. How about that path to the final four when the Shocks were a one seed? It seemed then and still does today that the committee did Wichita State absolutely no favors, in fact I believe it was intentionally obstructionist.
                      I’m just personally not inclined to go the conspiracy route. Is it possible there is some bias, intentional or otherwise, against WSU? Sure. I just don’t think it’s likely.

The committee changes members regularly and includes members from many different conferences. They’ve taken steps to increase the transparency and fairness of the selection process.

There are teams every year that get left out who should have been in and teams included that shouldn’t have. It’s just the nature of the challenge of seeding a tournament in which 300+ teams are competed for limited spots.

I think there is probably a portion of every fan base that feels as though they got the shaft in any given year.

Should KU fans complain when they get knocked out of the tourney as a 1 or 2 seed by Bradley, VCU, UNI, Bucknell, etc? Was there some conspiracy against them?

Regardless of any disagreement we may or may not have on this wonderful fan board, I do sincerely wish you and your family a Happy and Prosperous 2021.
                      Thank you and the same to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Really good article. Sounds like they knew well before the conference announcement.
                        Did you catch this statement - "We couldn’t wait two or three days to find out, so we had to get somebody right then.”

Does that mean there was a team interested, but they needed to see if they could move some things around?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Stickboy46;n1269950]

We've actually had really good luck getting Home and Homes with power five teams.

OU OSU
                          KSU
                          Missouri
                          Baylor
                          Seton Hall
                          Alabama

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. The 24 hour turn around would be tough, but let's not act like other teams haven't been able to work out good replacement games.

​​​​I did not mean to imply that we have never been able to get some power 5 teams to play the shocks, just that it has been very difficult. And if I recall correctly a lot of those Big 12 teams only recently agreed to play the shocks. After VanVleet and Baker were gone. And Weber for KSU has refused to play the shocks for almost his entire tenure. No doubt he received a little pressure when OU and OSU agreed to play. But the only reason he agreed because he felt our program was down because we had all the transfers. last year.. The Missouri game in my opinion is because of the relationship of former Coach Marshall and C Martin.. The reason Alabama scheduled the shocks because they wanted revenge for the Shocks beating them in the game for the NIT Championship. Then they came to Wichita to steal our coach so fuk them. In short power 5 schools only schedule the shocks when they think they have an advantage or have ulterior motives.

As far as your last statement about other schools getting good replacement games, I suggest you read Taylor Eldridge article in today's newspaper. Its very informative.

Comment

• I'd be delighted to have the Selection Committee holding 2 D2 games against us. That would mean we were in the conversation, which is about exactly where we were last year. After losing 4 starters, over half the roster, and the coach, and being in about the same position as a year ago would be a better outcome than should have been expected.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I thought that non D1 games received exactly ZERO weight in the NET calculations. In the NCAA Selection Committee’s eyes, it’s like the game didn’t happen. If that’s the case, then we could lose to Newman and it wouldn’t hurt us in the NET (though I’d like to not test that theory).

The reality is that our geographic location offers few easy options for D1 guarantee opponents on short notice. This was not the time to set up a series. While I wouldn’t have turned it down, had hell frozen over and KU agreed to play, I’d have hated it. They’d get a very watered-down version of CKA and then we’d have gotten AFH at full strength next season.

Since low-major D1s apparently weren’t in plentiful supply, I’m good with Newman. As Doc and I have discussed a few times, in this COVID era, just get games.
                              78-65

Comment

• I’m interested to see how much, if any, progress has been made by Chauncey and Jayden since Emporia State.

How is Trevin’s grasp of the offense progressing? He has potential to impact the defense if he can improve on the other end.

Will Bilaut suit up for this exhibition? I assume he is healthier after a week or so off. Would be nice to see him get some extended run.

Would obviously rather see them face ECU but this game has potential to be a nice primer for the next two huge games. Ole Miss is likely our last opportunity for a “signature” out of conference win. Houston will an interesting measuring stick early in the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X