No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Newman Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Ted Lasso's Neighbor;n1269807]Looks like they're bumping capacity up to 15% -https://goshockers.com/news/2020/12/28/mens-basketball-shockers-fill-schedule-hole-with-newman.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
      Wish we would not have bothered with Newman. Can’t see the value.
      You can't see the value.....? I have question for you, what do you do for a living (your occupation)?

Comment

I can see value. I hope that IB handles substitutions with the same rotations he would use in a regular game this game to grow our team. Sub remaining 3 scholarship players the last 5 minutes or so of the First Half, and then the final 10-15 minutes of the game, getting the walk ons in with a couple of minutes of the game. Of course, providing our team is playing well, and gets a good lead early. If our regular rotation "sucks", or if we show a lack of playing hard, then I say by the end of the First Half, all substitution patterns are off. Get players in the game who are playing hard, etc.

Comment

The team absolutely needs this game. More experience playing together is so valuable especially this year.

Comment

I was going to ask how the Newman team compares to Emporia State, but I see they play at Emporia State January 2, so I guess we'll find out then. Plus we should have an idea Wednesday.

Comment

I see value in this game for sure. It's a competition and a good chance to mix in some of the new guys with the vets and try out rotations, sets, and defensive schemes. No down side at all.

Comment

My 2 cents worth.

Have no more than 3 normal starters on the floor at one time.

If TvW is at point, ETN and 2 other starters need to be on the floor.

Generally (not always, but at least some):

If Bilau is at the 5, I'd like to see TW and DD and either CP or AG with him.

Play only Seymore or Jenkins, not both at the same time.

Try to keep AG, ETN, DD, and TW less than 25 minutes (prefer no more than 20).

How do you do this? That's what assistants are for. Let iHCIB coach.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  My 2 cents worth.

Have no more than 3 normal starters on the floor at one time.

If TvW is at point, ETN and 2 other starters need to be on the floor.

Generally (not always, but at least some):

If Bilau is at the 5, I'd like to see TW and DD and either CP or AG with him.

Play only Seymore or Jenkins, not both at the same time.

Try to keep AG, ETN, DD, and TW less than 25 minutes (prefer no more than 20).

How do you do this? That's what assistants are for. Let iHCIB coach.
                  I'd like to see Bilau at the 4.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Yeah, at least give him some time at both the 4 and 5.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I disagree. He needs to get better and receive more minutes at the 5. That’s where we need him most right now and he needs to improve his defense, rebounding, and knowledge of how he can mesh in the offense. I’d like to see him improve his back to the basket offense ( that’s his biggest weakness and an easy place to improve if he’d work on it).

He he needs to be in a 10 player rotation at the 5 with his minutes increasing as he IMPROVES. Right now, his playing time depends on foul trouble on MU and Poor Bear. Thus far, Bilau hasn’t shown very much except potential and that’s no reason to give him minutes. Some people act like he deserves minutes because he has shown potential and that’s no reason to play him imo. I’d just as soon see Seymour get minutes at the 4 because he’s shown potential too.

The 10 man rotation at this time seems pretty well set.
                      ** 5 Man - No one has taken control of being our best Center yet. Udeze doesn’t rebound good enough, fouls too much, and can’t pass the ball. Poor Bear has shown improvement but he still needs improvement and consistency. I already shared that Bilau needs to improve and he is our 3rd best 5 man option who leaves a lot to be desired.
                      ** 4 - Trey Wade will remain the starter, although his play has not been consistent for a Senior. However, he is solid at most facets of the game. His height can be a bad matchup at times but not usually. However, while he shows flashes of good play, and is solid on defense, rebounding, and knows the offense, he’s shown a tendency to take some bad shots, especially 3 point shots early in the clock. He needs to realize that he’s not the main option. It appears that Ricky Council 4 is our next option and he deserves playing time. In fact, Ricky is pushing to be a starter later this year. He has been really good for a Freshman, but his main weakness so far, by his own admission, he sometimes forgets what he needs to do during a game.
                      ** 3 - Dexter Dennis is our best defensive player and solid at all phases if the game. Hopefully his consistency of shooting will come back. Ricky Council and Porter have shown the ability to back him up.
                      ** 1 and 2 These positions are easy to project. Our best PG is AG and our best 2 is obviously ETN. Porter is an excellent back up at both positions and can also play the 3.

These players deserve to be our 10 man rotation and deserve the minutes at this time.
                      Last edited by Shockm; December 29, 2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

For those butthurt about Newman being scheduled:

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I disagree. He needs to get better and receive more minutes at the 5. That’s where we need him most right now and he needs to improve his defense, rebounding, and knowledge of how he can mesh in the offense. I’d like to see him improve his back to the basket offense ( that’s his biggest weakness and an easy place to improve if he’d work on it).

He he needs to be in a 10 player rotation at the 5 with his minutes increasing as he IMPROVES. Right now, his playing time depends on foul trouble on MU and Poor Bear. Thus far, Bilau hasn’t shown very much except potential and that’s no reason to give him minutes. Some people act like he deserves minutes because he has shown potential and that’s no reason to play him imo. I’d just as soon see Seymour get minutes at the 4 because he’s shown potential too.

The 10 man rotation at this time seems pretty well set.
                          ** 5 Man - No one has taken control of being our best Center yet. Udeze doesn’t rebound good enough, fouls too much, and can’t pass the ball. Poor Bear has shown improvement but he still needs improvement and consistency. I already shared that Bilau needs to improve and he is our 3rd best 5 man option who leaves a lot to be desired.
                          ** 4 - Trey Wade will remain the starter, although his play has not been consistent for a Senior. However, he is solid at most facets of the game. His height can be a bad matchup at times but not usually. However, while he shows flashes of good play, and is solid on defense, rebounding, and knows the offense, he’s shown a tendency to take some bad shots, especially 3 point shots early in the clock. He needs to realize that he’s not the main option. It appears that Ricky Council 4 is our next option and he deserves playing time. In fact, Ricky is pushing to be a starter later this year. He has been really good for a Freshman, but his main weakness so far, by his own admission, he sometimes forgets what he needs to do during a game.
                          ** 3 - Dexter Dennis is our best defensive player and solid at all phases if the game. Hopefully his consistency of shooting will come back. Ricky Council and Porter have shown the ability to back him up.
                          ** 1 and 2 These positions are easy to project. Our best PG is AG and our best 2 is obviously ETN. Porter is an excellent back up at both positions and can also play the 3.

These players deserve to be our 10 man rotation and deserve the minutes at this time.
                          4. Clarence Jackson is the one pushing to start at the 4

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

4. Clarence Jackson is the one pushing to start at the 4
                            Yes I forgot about him. He would be the 10th. He has been inconsistent too so far. But he, at times looks very good. Plays very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

No answer in Manhattan?? Funny how that works

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                                Meh.

I still say there is more to lose than gain by playing Newman.

Comment

Working...
                                X