No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Newman Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel works 2 ways, testing works 2 ways.

Logistically speaking, in 2020-2021, it just isn't going to happen.

Remember Duke women's basketball has already quit. I doubt they are the last one that will.

Baseball will be a nightmare too. We might end up with a 1981 type looking schedule, heavy on the KCAC.

I'll be surprised if we play more than 1 or 2 midweek games by the time it's all said and done. And I'm not saying it's "right"....it just is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I can name 1... WSU
      We don't go... We likely don't have to quarantine half our team because they sat on a plane with an infected travel party member to play in a tournament that was a shell of what we signed up for.

​​​​​The Missouri and OSU games likely look way different because we would have nearly the entire team for them and maybe even had an extra game before hand if we found something locally.

So no I don't need to argue it ... because it happened
      This is a stretch.

They are testing the team regularly so whoever had Covid would have tested positive whether it was here or South Dakota. As far as I know they never said definitively who tested positive but considering the number of players who sat out it seems likely it was a player rather than an infected travel party member.

There’s a lot of mental gymnastics required to reach your conclusion.
      Last edited by pie n eye; December 28, 2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

This is a stretch.

They are testing the team regularly so whoever had Covid would have tested positive whether it was here or South Dakota. As far as I know they never said definitively who tested positive but considering the number of players who sat out it seems likely it was a player than an infected travel party member.

There’s a lot of mental gymnastics required to reach your conclusion.
        No mental gymnastics at all
        Would someone have tested positive? Yes ... Would half the team be considered a "close contact" of said positive if they weren't on a plane that same time? Likely no.

Sorry, logic isn't mental gymnastics ... It's just logic.

Comment

Also I understand the newman thing. Just now all our eggs are in the conference basket. Had an opportunity to maybe get a tournament level team on the schedule, but that's not what the coaches wanted. Which is fine.
          Opportunity? We are coming off Christmas break and the guys were likely preparing to play ECU as soon as they returned.

Even if finding another opponent on 48 hours notice is as simple as “look at schedule, see no game, call team, game booked” (I doubt it), you have to consider the challenge of scouting a brand new opponent on short notice, developing a game plan, etc etc.

Again, I don’t think scheduling is as simple as you think but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Opportunity? We are coming off Christmas break and the guys were likely preparing to play ECU as soon as they returned.

Even if finding another opponent on 48 hours notice is as simple as “look at schedule, see no game, call team, game booked” (I doubt it), you have to consider the challenge of scouting a brand new opponent on short notice, developing a game plan, etc etc.

Again, I don’t think scheduling is as simple as you think but I could be wrong.
            Never once have said it was simple ... Not sure why everyone keeps equating to that. It's fairly obvious that no calls were made due to how quickly the newman game was scheduled. Taylor half confirmed that too.

As far as every downside you just noted... The other team would have the same hurdles. They would have to do a quick scout too. It would be no different than a tournament game. If there are other teams within driving distance that are open ... I don't see why we wouldn't make that call... But I'm not the coach.

Comment

Start JB, CJ, RC, Porter and lil Wade.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Gardner scares the crap out of me. That is my assessment.
                Dexter did a nice defensive job and pretty much shut Gardner down two years ago. He didn’t play against them last year.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Remember Duke women's basketball has already quit. I doubt they are the last one that will.

Baseball will be a nightmare too. We might end up with a 1981 type looking schedule, heavy on the KCAC.

I'll be surprised if we play more than 1 or 2 midweek games by the time it's all said and done. And I'm not saying it's "right"....it just is what it is.
                  I expect much more "regionality" in all but the highest level of college sports going forward. Covid has exposed an already creaky system.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

You also declared the season over back in September October time frame so I’ll take it with a grain of salt.
                    Last edited by pie n eye; December 28, 2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

No mental gymnastics at all
                      Would someone have tested positive? Yes ... Would half the team be considered a "close contact" of said positive if they weren't on a plane that same time? Likely no.

Sorry, logic isn't mental gymnastics ... It's just logic.
                      Assumptions aren’t necessarily accurate, sorry. You’re making many assumptions in trying to justify your original opinion that SD tournament should be skipped.
                      Last edited by pie n eye; December 28, 2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Considering the reschedule was done like 20 min after the cancellation.... Doesn't seem like a lot of effort was put into getting ahold of anyone.

​​​​​​
                        Taylor is right on as usual. Add a fill in game for Wednesday. Doesn't necessarily matter who it is as the AAC schedule will provide enough of a challenge. Still could fit the ECU game in later in the year. Not a big deal, IMO. You don't just call up a P5 or any decent D1 team on two days notice, especially when you look at the Monday - Wednesday schedule and most every team that would be available is already playing a game. Criticism of this is nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

You bet your sweet a$$ its not easy to pickup a power 5 school for a basketball game when your league game is canceled on Monday and your looking for a game on Wednesday. What world do you live in?
                          WSU has had a month to pick up games they lost from getting kicked out of South Dakato. I see almost everyday games getting cancelled and other teams looking to find new opponents. What has WSU rescheduled? ESU and now Newman.

I give WSU a pass for ESU. I can understand just wanting to get everybody on the court in a game atmosphere. But Newman? there is no way they tried to get anybody else in between the cancellation was announced and when they announced Newman.

WSU needs D1 games and D1 wins. WSU would be better off just cancelling and practicing than taking a chance on getting covid from a team that is not facing the same covid protocols that WSU is going thru.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              I do like the idea of getting an extra conference home game out of this... Though ECU MIGHT end up being a Q2 road game ... Though I think no matter what it wouldn't account for anything anyways because it's ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

WSU has had a month to pick up games they lost from getting kicked out of South Dakato. I see almost everyday games getting cancelled and other teams looking to find new opponents. What has WSU rescheduled? ESU and now Newman.

I give WSU a pass for ESU. I can understand just wanting to get everybody on the court in a game atmosphere. But Newman? there is no way they tried to get anybody else in between the cancellation was announced and when they announced Newman.

WSU needs D1 games and D1 wins. WSU would be better off just cancelling and practicing than taking a chance on getting covid from a team that is not facing the same covid protocols that WSU is going thru.
                                12/2 - ORU
                                12/6 - Mizzou
                                12/12 - OSU
                                12/15 - Tulsa
                                12/18 - Emporia
                                12/22 - USF
                                Christmas
                                12/30 - ECU/Newman

Where would you propose picking up another game in that schedule? Keep in mind we didn’t have a full team to practice until after the Mizzou game and even then the guys coming back were on minutes restrictions.

Surely we want to try and win this easy to schedule game against a D1 opponent. Shouldn’t be difficult to do on short notice with a team that’s had limited practice time together and zero exhibition/scrimmage games.

Comment

Working...
                                X