2-0 In Conference with Two Roadies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-0 In Conference with Two Roadies

Road games are hard. Starting conference play with road games against two decent teams would be a reason to expect an 0-2 start with a decent team. 2-0 should move the Shox into the conversation for a top 3 finish in the league.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Road games are hard. Starting conference play with road games against two decent teams would be a reason to expect an 0-2 start with a decent team. 2-0 should move the Shox into the conversation for a top 3 finish in the league.
    Normally, yes. This year is not normal. First, home court advantage is diminished. Maybe more so for the Shocks as we fill the house while most venues do not even come close. We may lose some home games we would not normally lose. I'll need to look at the schedule closer to check that impact, but it seems that "lower" teams in the AAC are better this year and the large number of fans won't be there to rally the troops on an off night.

I like what I see so far. Particularly at point with Gilbert and Porter and at least a couple of other new additions will challenge returning players for floor time. I'd like to see DD get on track before jumping into the Top 3 talk. I'll take baby steps and say top half discussion at this time with so many new players and....oh, yes....a new head coach. No doubt, this is a great start to conference play.

Comment

ShockTalk while I do agree home court advantage in general is diminished I’m not sure how much it applies to either of the teams we’ve played so far. We typically send a large amount of yellow down to Reynolds and I don’t think USF is renown for their rabid fan base.

Comment

I'm very pleasantly surprised with our 2-0 start. Tulsa is definitely a good win but I thought the USF win was huge - the imbalance in FT should have spelled doom for our Shocks.

I wouldn't have predicted that.

I went in to the season hoping for .500 ball

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
          ShockTalk while I do agree home court advantage in general is diminished I’m not sure how much it applies to either of the teams we’ve played so far. We typically send a large amount of yellow down to Reynolds and I don’t think USF is renown for their rabid fan base.
          Maybe, the best way I can put it is that historically being a good road team, with many of our road opponents not having a big turn out of their fans, our gain on the road this season may be less than what we may lose at home without our large crowd.

Comment

Looks like the players headed home for Christmas today. Let's hope we don't have any COVID surprises when they get back.

Comment

I truly feel that if we can get DD going like he usually shoots this team is going to take off. In college basketball today you have to have several guys that can knock down shots. I think we got that, but having DD shoot like he is capable of will cause other teams major problems with him TE on the court at the same time.

Really impressed with the new young guys coming off the bench. Ricky Council IV, M. Jackson, Craig Porter, and JB gave us a big lift last night. They are some bad boys.

Last edited by TheShocktocles; December 23, 2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

This season is going to be a roller coaster. Trying to keep it all in perspective and not get too high or too low.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  This season is going to be a roller coaster. Trying to keep it all in perspective and not get too high or too low.
                  Good point.

Comment

Considering we are shooting 38% as a team, 30% from deep and being out rebounded being 2-0 and 4-2
                    is a little surprising. I think you have to credit an aggressive team defense I know I do.

Comment

A few short months ago, who of the Shocker faithful would be disappointed with a 2-0 start in the conference? Not me. Go Shocks!
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        Considering we are shooting 38% as a team, 30% from deep and being out rebounded being 2-0 and 4-2
                        is a little surprising. I think you have to credit an aggressive team defense I know I do.
                        I haven't looked at the stats but I would suspect that our turnover numbers are less than our opponents too. To a degree, indirectly that has to do with defense, but it also has to do with taking care of the ball and good guard play.

Comment

FT % ? Are fouls down?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I haven't looked at the stats but I would suspect that our turnover numbers are less than our opponents too. To a degree, indirectly that has to do with defense, but it also has to do with taking care of the ball and good guard play.
                            ball protection is one of the strong points of this team. It also means we have smart/skilled players.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

ball protection is one of the strong points of this team. It also means we have smart/skilled players.
                              Yeap basketball IQ is underrated. Need AG to play smarter. Fell into some old UCONN bad habits against USF by trying to do too much. Pick your moments better AG. Goshocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X