OSU Game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotables: Post-Oklahoma State

Postgame throughts from Isaac Brown, Alterique Gilbert, Tyson Etienne and Morris Udeze after Saturday's thriller against Oklahoma State.

Comment

• Rebounding was weak. Mo 16 minutes 2 rebounds, IPBC 14 minutes 0 rebounds, Dex 32 minutes 1 rebound. Thankfully JB fought for rebounds and had 5 in 6 minutes. Assists were too low. We need more from AG, 32 minutes and 2 assists. Porter looked real good in his 5 minutes. He had 2 assists and 2 rebounds. Hopefully Porter plays major minutes from here on out. You can tell he has what it takes to win. He was an excellent rebounder and assist guy in juco ball. Plays much bigger than 6'2". I think if IB gets the right minutes to the right players this team has a chance to be pretty good.
      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
        Disagree immensely with your 80-120 evaluation. We will be top 50 at least be years end.
        donot.JPG

Comment

• I think that this team has a lot of potential. It may not be against Tulsa as that is a quick turnaround, but I think there will be a click and things will start improving quickly.

I think we will get an ugly win against Tulsa anyway, then having full weeks in between So FL and ECU, we will figure some things out and look real good.

Then who knows from there.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
            Rebounding was weak. Mo 16 minutes 2 rebounds, IPBC 14 minutes 0 rebounds, Dex 32 minutes 1 rebound. Thankfully JB fought for rebounds and had 5 in 6 minutes. Assists were too low. We need more from AG, 32 minutes and 2 assists. Porter looked real good in his 5 minutes. He had 2 assists and 2 rebounds. Hopefully Porter plays major minutes from here on out. You can tell he has what it takes to win. He was an excellent rebounder and assist guy in juco ball. Plays much bigger than 6'2". I think if IB gets the right minutes to the right players this team has a chance to be pretty good.
            I hear you on the rebounds. But not sure I expected Dexter to get a lot of rebounds in this game. He did heck of a job guarding Cunningham. Even that game winner by Cunningham was contested.

Comment

• That last play was just so typical but still just as mind-boggling. Why do we settle for the 3 ball so much when we suck at shooting them? Yes, we have mediocre big guys but we should try penetrating as much as possible. Trey Wade needs to run to Derby and back for every 3 he chucked. Shows the lack of coaching discipline that he was not told to cool it down because “dawgs are gonna dawg”. We are definitely gonna lose our huge advantage at home this year. Could cost us 5 or 6 games. I think it costed us today.

Despite a lot of glaring weaknesses, we did have a chance. But we played catch-up a lot of the way. Can’t wait to watch a game where we control it from tip to buzzer again. Kinda took those for granted..
              Last edited by ShockerFever; December 12, 2020, 10:56 PM.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                That last play was just so typical but still just as mind-boggling. Why do we settle for the 3 ball so much when we suck at shooting them? Yes, we have mediocre big guys but we should try penetrating as much as possible. Trey Wade needs to run to Derby and back for every 3 he chucked. Shows the lack of coaching discipline that he was not told to cool it down because “dawgs are gonna dawg”. We are definitely gonna lose our huge advantage at home this year. Could cost us 5 or 6 games. I think it costed us today.

Despite a lot of glaring weaknesses, we did have a chance. But we played catch-up a lot of the way. Can’t wait to watch a game where we control it from tip to buzzer again. Kinda took those for granted..
                You're doing a great job of replacing KCShox.

Hint: It's a good idea to settle for a 3 when you're down by 3 with 2 seconds left in the game.

Last year players got reamed by the coach for taking early shots, so we ended up with a lot of late in the shot clock prayers - and fans on SN griped about that forever.

Letting players take early 3's gets complaints on SN. Players being forced to take tough 3's late in the shot clock gets complaints from fans on SN.

It seems that Brown gives players more freedom to take early 3's without getting pulled. That isn't being reflected in improved shooting from 3, but I doubt we're going to have 7 transfers this year regardless of who the next coach is.
                Last edited by Aargh; December 13, 2020, 01:08 AM.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Good lord. I see “let dawgs be dawgs” is a phrase thats going to be latched onto.

Last edited by pie n eye; December 13, 2020, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

You're doing a great job of replacing KCShox.

Hint: It's a good idea to settle for a 3 when you're down by 3 with 2 seconds left in the game.

Last year players got reamed by the coach for taking early shots, so we ended up with a lot of late in the shot clock prayers - and fans on SN griped about that forever.

Letting players take early 3's gets complaints on SN. Players being forced to take tough 3's late in the shot clock gets complaints from fans on SN.

It seems that Brown gives players more freedom to take early 3's without getting pulled. That isn't being reflected in improved shooting from 3, but I doubt we're going to have 7 transfers this year regardless of who the next coach is.
                    Oh STFU Aargh. Your holier than thou **** gets old. I wasn’t talking about the last play of the game. I was making a general statement. Although a last second 23 foot off balance heave isn’t ideal either.

Your last statement is teetering dangerously on edge to Cohenism.
                    Last edited by ShockerFever; December 13, 2020, 03:51 AM.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• OSU is pretty good, and they'll be a lot better by March.

Comment

That last play was just so typical but still just as mind-boggling. Why do we settle for the 3 ball so much when we suck at shooting them? Yes, we have mediocre big guys but we should try penetrating as much as possible. Trey Wade needs to run to Derby and back for every 3 he chucked. Shows the lack of coaching discipline that he was not told to cool it down because “dawgs are gonna dawg”. We are definitely gonna lose our huge advantage at home this year. Could cost us 5 or 6 games. I think it costed us today.

I think I read that IB put the ball in DD's hands for the final shot but the play he wanted, was poorly executed by the team. Maybe I'm mistaken but I think with the lack of team practice and games that have been cancelled, I will give a little grace for the team not executing end of game plays correctly at this time.

Comment

• I am regretting my own negativity. Can't expect 2-3 players to be something they aren't. On the positive side JB
                          has length and should help out in the middle defensively and on the boards. I hope all of our centers better
                          understand their strengths and weaknesses and don't force things out of their skill sets. That matters in
                          close games. I hope against ESU that HCIB experiments by playing JB some at the four and trying to get him
                          some open looks to test his perimeter shooting. Would be nice to have a perimeter scoring threat from the four
                          spot and even the five..........heck right now it would be nice to have a 40% three point shooter from any position.
                          We have some athletes but are relatively small. I think part of the problem not getting back on defense is
                          attributable to our guards having to rebound. If we could get JB to play effectively at the four with some added
                          improvement in rebounding from the other two centers it would free up the others to get back quicker. Jackson
                          kind of disappeared yesterday but I still like his potential. Liked Porter also. I am more upbeat than after
                          yesterday's loss as I think we have some good young pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            OSU is pretty good, and they'll be a lot better by March.
                            Disagree. This hot noncon start will be their high water mark. They'll flounder in conference. Wasn't all that impressed with them as a team other than some raw lotto talent. Was much more impressed with Mizzou

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I think I read that IB put the ball in DD's hands for the final shot but the play he wanted, was poorly executed by the team. Maybe I'm mistaken but I think with the lack of team practice and games that have been cancelled, I will give a little grace for the team not executing end of game plays correctly at this time.
                              Yes you did read that. In the Post-Game Quotables:

… the last possession of the game:
                              "The play is a play we've got called 'phase three.' We're supposed to throw it to Dexter and, on the flight of the ball, when it hits Dexter hand, it's supposed to be back screens for three. We went a little bit early. We went before they threw it to Dexter. So, we've just got to clean that up. We didn't run it right; everybody knows the play. The guys were just excited, and they went a little too quick."
                              After the Lady Shocks loss to South Dakota HCKA while commenting on how poor their offense has been said she tries to run sets in certain cases to try to take advantage of certain matchups but too many times a player or 2 forgets what they are supposed to do and it blows up the play. She has had the same issue as the men in not be able to practice with a full squad although for reasons other than Covid from what I gather.

Comment

Oh STFU Aargh. Your holier than thou **** gets old. I wasn’t talking about the last play of the game. I was making a general statement. Although a last second 23 foot off balance heave isn’t ideal either.

Your last statement is teetering dangerously on edge to Cohenism.
                                First off your statement led off with a reference to taking a three on the last shot. You changed direction in the next sentence. So how is anyone to know which you were alluding to. How is Argh's last comment close to Cohenism which is another term just invented. I would like to know (and perhaps others as well) what a Cohenism is so as to not make the same mistake and risk your wrath. As far as some things getting old you do have a tendency yourself to grasp onto something and drive it into the ground. Most of them either isolate or denigrate those you have a problem with or just a good old fashioned vendetta. Your latest is "dawgs are gonna dawg". Just wondering if this is in reference to Rashard Kelly's tweet about IHC IB and his feelings that he would let them have more freedom in offensive sets. As always Go Shocks and have a great day

Comment

Working...
                                X