X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Kennedy to Join Shocker Coaching Staff

Billy Kennedy to Join WSU Coaching Staff

https://goshockers.com/news/2020/11/...ing-staff.aspx

2020 continues to be a very strange year. Adding a 3rd assistant who has 34 years of experience including a 361-294 record as a head coach. That is about as uncommon as it gets I would think.

Coach Kennedy was an assistant coach at Texas A&M in 1990-91 when the starting point guard was a guy by the name of Isaac Brown.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 22, 2020, 08:10 PM.

Comment

2016 SEC COY. Not too bad. Welcome aboard, Coach Kennedy!!

Comment

He has coached three different programs to the NCAA tournament, highlighted by a pair of Sweet 16 seasons in College Station (2016 & 2018).

That 2016 trip was made possible by one of the greatest comebacks in NCAA tournament history. The Aggies trailed Northern Iowa by 12 points with 42 seconds left in regulation but rallied to win the game in double-overtime.

Comment

A class act off the court, as well, Kennedy was presented with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes' 2011 John Lotz "Barnabas" Award at the Final Four in Houston. The award is presented by the FCA to a basketball coach who best exhibits a commitment to Christ, integrity, encouragement to others and living a balanced life.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            He has coached three different programs to the NCAA tournament, highlighted by a pair of Sweet 16 seasons in College Station (2016 & 2018).

That 2016 trip was made possible by one of the greatest comebacks in NCAA tournament history. The Aggies trailed Northern Iowa by 12 points with 42 seconds left in regulation but rallied to win the game in double-overtime.
            Box checked.

Comment

I guess the question is this just a stop-gap measure or is this part of a longer-term plan?

Coach Kennedy was diagnosed in October 2011 with early stage Parkinson's disease. Obviously, this has not be debilitating to him so far but I don't know if it presents him with any particular limitations or not at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                I guess the question is this just a stop-gap measure or is this part of a longer-term plan?

Coach Kennedy was diagnosed in October 2011 with early stage Parkinson's disease. Obviously, this has not be debilitating to him so far but I don't know if it presents him with any particular limitations or not at this point.
                I knew he had an ailment, but couldn’t recall what it was... probably exactly what IB needs on the bench.

“Kennedy, who has valiantly fought Parkinson's disease since just after his hire at A&M nearly eight years ago, is 150-115 overall at A&M, with a regular season SEC title in 2016 and two Sweet 16 appearances in the NCAA Tournament (2016 and 2018) in that span.Mar 12, 2019”
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  ... probably exactly what IB needs on the bench.
                  Indeed.

Comment

Jeff *******

@GoodmanHoops
                    ·
                    28m
                    Former Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy will join Wichita State as an assistant coach. Perfect addition to help interim Isaac Brown.

(I couldn't help myself)

Comment

And for your viewing pleasure....

Comment

That's a heck of resume for an (interim) assistant coach

Comment

This was the "Loren Hibbs" hire for the basketball program.

Comment

Looks like he has twitter.

Comment

With a coach accused of being verbally abusive gone and an FCA honoree coming in, practices are likely to take a significant turn.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X