What was that Drake guy doing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was that Drake guy doing???

I'm surprised I haven't seen mention of this in this forum, although some discussion in VT. Did anyone notice the Drake player come join the Shocker huddle during a timeout in the 2nd half? He just walked right up to the huddle and peered over someone's shoulder and looked at what was being diagramed and listened to whatever coach had to say. He was probably there for 10 seconds before the ref came over and forcefully pulled him away and got in his face while pulling him away.

In my many years of watching basketball I've never seen anything like this. Some of the Drake apologists on VT say he was just taking his postion on the floor which is absurd... maybe if he was 6 years old playing YMCA ball, ok, otherwise, no way. The only other thing that makes sense is that he was flat out cheating, but it was so blatently obvious, I can't understand it. The whole thing was bizarre.

Can one of you refs give us some insight as to what, if any, penalty there would be for doing something like this?

I saw it and thought "WTH?!?!?" but then I chuckled because if one our guys could have got away with such a bold move I'd love it! It just shows the lack of situational awareness on the part of the entire Shocker bench that evening. Like the British SAS motto "Who Dares Wins". The look on the ref's face was classic and he darn near jerked the kid to half court!
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Yeah, I hear you on "situational awareness". I thought one of the Shockers should have decked him, but I guess they were all too busy paying attention to the coach to notice he was there :yes:

Comment

damn, shows the Shocks lack of attention. Players and Coaches made a mistake. It is not the Drake Bulldogs fault that know one saw him in our huddle.

I am kind of embarrassed by the whole thing. :whistle:
        ________
        Cams sexy
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Woah, am I the only one that didn't see this?

Comment

I saw the ref giving the Drake player a lecture, but I didn't know what for (missed the other part).

I can't say that I've ever seen anyone try that kind of thing before...

Comment

well I didn't see it either, but then again I only got to listen to the game on the radio. Does anybody have a video of it? I don't know what the rule is on something like this, if this would warrant a technical foul by rule or not. But if something like this ever happened in one of the games I worked, I would first warn the player, then warn the coach that if something like this happens again, it would be a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, and if it caused problems within the huddle, might lead to an ejection.

Comment

I dont remember seeing it.

I remember drinking away the pain with a large dr. pepper light on the ice.

Comment

Our players and staff were likely so focused on HCGM that of course they aren't going to notice a different face in their peripheral vision.

The refs should have done a better job of keeping the player a reasonable distance away. Otherwise, tempers could flare.

Comment

Confidence -the sign of a true champion. That move was indicative of their attitude towards us that evening. We didn't scare them one bit and they walked into our arena and beat us, laughing the whole time...

Owned by Drake while being clowned by Drake is a very sad day for the Shocker Nation.

T

...8)

Comment

Shock-Ref---Subgod22---How would you handle this and are there specific action that should be taken? A warning and then a T? Or a T without warning. I have never heard of this travesty at this level.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I guess that could fall under making a travesty of the game, couldn't it?

Comment

You just remove the player from the huddle and tell him not to do it again. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone giving a T for that but I have seen players do it and heard about it. I'd probably just warn him about a T and then let it go. He wouldn't do it again after that anyway. ShockRef is a little more experienced than I so maybe he'd have more to add. It definitely isn't common.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I saw it, there were actually two times he did this, the first time he came out of the Drake huddle and walked over toward the shocker huddle to take his position for the press. He was leaning toward the shocker huddle trying to hear what we being said, but stayed a few feet away. I guess he thought this was a good idea as on the next timeout he walked directly to the Shocker huddle, joined the huddle and stood up on his toes to see the play Marshall was drawing up, this time the Referee saw him and grabbed him pretty forcefully and shoved him out of huddle yelling at him. The first time he did it I thought that was probably not cool, but didn't cross the line, the second time I think was actually closer to Marshall with a better view of the whiteboard than half the Shockers.

Comment

I totally missed it

Comment

Working...
                              X