No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe next wednesday, Mike Kennedy will be doing the game and say, "wait, who's that other guy sitting on the bench? I'll bet that's the new assistant? Dave, run over and ask to see some ID......

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Good thing nobody GAF about your interests, T-dog.
      A typical post from the Shockernet Bully - IMO most objective Shocker fans give little or no credence to anything you post. Have to admit I do enjoy reading your posts for the humor associated with the childish ranting and lack of insight you consistently display.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Maybe next wednesday, Mike Kennedy will be doing the game and say, "wait, who's that other guy sitting on the bench? I'll bet that's the new assistant? Dave, run over and ask to see some ID......
        If it was a home game I'd say Let's just have them make a WWE style entrance

Comment

• I'll be honest, I just wanna hear some Mike Kennedy on the radio right now. For reasons.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Good thing nobody GAF about your interests, T-dog.

Comment

• I will defer to those who write checks, but... damn if Jans wants it it's hard to say no. Unless there are concerns about connections etc. But otherwise sign me up - I don't have the KenPom stats at hand, but he seemed to be the statistical reason for the dropoff - we went from perennial top 10 (number 1 I think one year) defense to ~100. Pay the man and run it back…

HOWEVER

My eyebrows raised when I saw Adrian Griffin was (supposedly) interested. When you talk about checking the boxes - and this is way before any of his kids being players - the only downside on that I see is that he sees it as a stepping stone job whereas Jans might/would see it the same way as Marshall - top 20 job.

So what do you want? A lifer like Marshall that won't leave you for anyone except Texas and a top 10 job, or someone with not as tight of a connection that might be aiming higher and only consider it a top 50 job like Turge?

In re AG... man... I have tried to keep up on this board but haven't seen anybody mention the fact that he was a mother****ing junk yard dog. THE prototype Marshall AAC player. Period. IMO. I would love to hear informed opinions otherwise.

For those who didn't watch... I would calibrate him this way:
              1-2 inches taller than PJ but same do-it-all whatever it takes at both ends
              1-2 inches shorter than Ramon but complete guard skills and could guard any forward defensively
              Same FU attitude as Fred, Ron, Tekele, and every other name we know.

I'm going to speculate and say that's how he and Fred bonded. AG was underrecruited, decided he was going Big East, underdrafted, and then won CBA player of the year and went from offensive badass mofo to defensive badass mofo. Played his way into the league by winning the CBA Player of the Year award if I recall correctly. Then got in and decided he was staying like Fred – I know, because I watched him do it.

If you're young and/or uninformed, that is the equivalent of Fred going undrafted through the G League - and make no mistake, Fred's path would have been a LOT longer if Delon Wright hadn't dislocated his shoulder and freed up playing time.

Anyway, AG got down and dirty and stuck in the league because he did anything and everything.

From a personal standpoint, I have no opinion. What I’ve seen over the years from social media is that he is a man of faith, and I know first and secondhand that he was a top 5% if not higher intelligence in school.

I have no opinion on his domestic matters, and don’t see why they should matter until proven. Unless we want to double down on guilty until proven innocent.

Bottom line, full disclosure:

I don’t know Adrian Griffin. Never met him. But I will tell you that I played against him in high school, and that dude was next level mentally. Physically it was obvious.

But he had that crazy JYD look ALL OF THE TIME.

I played small college with a lot of guys who were D1 offered and all city in high school, and no one ever had the killer instinct combined with talent like I saw in AG. That’s why I followed him.

There were several guys in the City League back then that had the same amount of talent/size (or more) – Mark Hutton, Cortez Barnes, Skip Nickerson… fill in your own.

But AG was a 6-4/5 bad mofo that knew he could get to the top if he outworked the other guy. And he did.

Plus he had that crazy-ass (but intelligent) look in his eye that always unnerved me. Like he wanted to hurt you mentally or otherwise. That’s why I say he would be the Marshall prototype AAC player above all others – 5 tool with a killer instinct. No offense to our previous guys with a killer instinct, but they weren’t 5 tool.

Bottom line… I think I really do want Isaac to get a shot.

BUT

If Jans is interested…

HOWEVER

Are you telling me we could have the perfect hometown grinder kid with NBA experience on all levels and son as a recruit?
              Give me the terms and sign me up.

@SubGod22
              Welcome back. Can I get an I'mNW?!?!?!!?!

PS – In the event you (1) didn’t believe what I said, (2) didn’t see him in person, and (3) want proof of a Play Angry continuance, here’s what I pulled to prove what I thought I knew from decade of observation:
              Stockton Kidd Jordan Payton Cheeks Pippen Erving Paul Drexler Olajuwon Griffin
              All Time Steals Rank 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 <250
              Steals 3265 2684 2514 2445 2310 2307 2272 2233 2207 2162 436
              Per 36 minutes 2.5 1.9 2.2 1.9 2.4 2.0 2.0 2.3 2.1 1.8 2.0
              Per 100 possessions 3.5 2.8 3.1 2.7 3.2 2.9 2.5 3.3 2.8 2.4 2.8
              Per 36 Rank 1 9 4 9 2 6 6 3 5 11 6
              Per 100 Rank 1 6 4 9 3 5 10 2 6 11 6
              50/50 Weighted Rank 1 7.5 4 9 2.5 5.5 8 2.5 5.5 11 6
              Last edited by Good News; November 20, 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Stockton Kidd Jordan Payton Cheeks Pippen Erving Paul Drexler Olajuwon Griffin
                All Time Steals Rank 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 <250
                Steals 3265 2684 2514 2445 2310 2307 2272 2233 2207 2162 436
                Per 36 minutes 2.5 1.9 2.2 1.9 2.4 2.0 2.0 2.3 2.1 1.8 2.0
                Per 100 possessions 3.5 2.8 3.1 2.7 3.2 2.9 2.5 3.3 2.8 2.4 2.8
                Per 36 Rank 1 9 4 9 2 6 6 3 5 11 6
                Per 100 Rank 1 6 4 9 3 5 10 2 6 11 6
                50/50 Weighted Rank 1 7.5 4 9 2.5 5.5 8 2.5 5.5 11 6

Comment

• Last thing for the connected old timers - why wasn't AG recruited by WSU (Cohen)? He was sure as shyte better than Claudius Johnson and better than John Smith (and Boo by extension)

Comment

• John Smith was a top 100 guy.

Comment

John Smith was a top 100 guy.
                      The human head weighs 8 pounds

Comment

John Smith was a top 100 guy.
                        I know that. Why didn't a hometown coach recruit a hometown player? And don't give me the Columbia SC thing. There was room .

Comment

• No idea. Smith and Boo stole cars or something, didn't they?

Comment

• John Smith was an absolutely awful young person and an embarrassment to our basketball program, University and city. He didn't leave soon enough. I don't like hammering the student athletes, but this one deserves it. I would be stunned if he hasn't spent many years in a correctional facility.

Good News check PM in a minute.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

I know that. Why didn't a hometown coach recruit a hometown player? And don't give me the Columbia SC thing. There was room .
                              I think Cohen, et al. Nuff said. The amount of talent that went elsewhere during the 90s was criminal. From everything I heard, a lot of them never even got a look. Incompetence is probably the easiest answer.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I think Cohen, et al. Nuff said. The amount of talent that went elsewhere during the 90s was criminal. From everything I heard, a lot of them never even got a look. Incompetence is probably the easiest answer.
                                I don't disagree but the easiest answer probably isn't the right answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X