Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
    I really did not want to say anything, because I prefer to wait on the investigation being completed before making a judgement. But Yes I noticed a pattern with these sources too. I hear you loud and clear. It seems to me that the players publicly complaining about Coach Marshall coaching methods are players that were not happy and transferred out of the programs. But the bigger issue I see is that there is a concerted effort by some in the media and others to preclude Wichita State from doing a fair and impartial investigation into this matter. Why? It is clear that some want Wichita State to take action against the coach before the investigation is complete. They are demanding action be taken now even though the Coach has denied these allegations. That does not seem fair to me.

This situation reminds me of a scene in the movie Gladiator where the Gladiators are discussing the Emperor's plan to kill Maximus . In the scene Gladiator Djimon Juba tells Russell Crowe who is playing Maximus that "You have a great name. He must kill your name first , before he kills you" The character assassination by some in the media and others of our coach before the investigation is complete is most disturbing. These folks even imply that the investigators of the law firm out of St. Louis will not be fair They take this position without any evidence to support this conclusion. I am sure this law firm has established its good reputation by doing similar investigations for other Universities.

I guess the Athletic could not get the result it wanted on Coach M by its sole article on WSU. So now they go back to the Coach's days at Winthrop. Their position is see Coach M was a bad person at Winthrop too so he must be guilty at WSU. The Athletic's attempt to go back to Coach M days at Winthrop shows desperation on their part. They say they have statements from 7 players for these nine years.(1998 to 2007) But if Winthrop had a full scholarship team of 13 players and 2 walk on that would be 15 players X 9 years equaling a total of 135 players. What did the other 128 former players have to say about Coach M? What did the assistant coaches have to say about this? In my opinion by the Athletic publishing this article about Winthrop so long ago shows that they are bias and do not want a fair investigation.

On another note, I do not understand why some folks take an alleged statements by Coach M and conclude that that Coach M is racist and insensitive on cultural matters. The alleged statement by Coach M sending a player back to his home country if he did not perform better is a good example. The writer would have us assume that Coach M is racist because the player was from Africa. Bullsht. The player could have been from New Jersey, Texas, Nebraska, and other place and it does not make Coach M a racist. The Coach was simply trying to motivate the player to play harder, by saying he would send him home. And then the article goes on to say that the player that witnessed this event talks about the politics of South Carolina. WTF. Coach M does not have thing to do with the politics of South Carolina. Coach M did not place the Confederate flag at the State Capitol of South Carolina. The coach is not responsible for that decision. Coach M is not a South Carolina politician or making politics in South Carolina. This Winthrop player conclusion is all wrong. He took an alleged statement and added his own political point of view to make an erroneous claim.

Also the alleged statement that Coach M said about IPBC is wrong too. IPBC had the perfect excuse to transfer this past spring if he thought Coach M was racist or was so outraged about Coach M alleged statement about him getting back on the horse. Instead he came back to WSU to be coached by M. Go back and look at all the previous statements Coach M has made about IPBC. All of the statements are very positive. I have heard countless times about people saying when you fail at something 'get back on the horse and compete again" This is not a racist statement. And maybe Coach M was trying to inspire IPBC to play harder in practice and embrace his culture by making a sound of a Sioux warrior. I know from history that Sioux warriors were fierce. And the statement about Jamie Echenique is wrong too. I was not there but If Jamie Echenique thought Coach M was a racist why is he publicly supporting Coach M and saying they had a great relationship with Coach M. Nick Wiggins said it right. Coach M does not have a racist bone in his body. And if Coach M is really the racist as some of these media experts or professors claim, I guess the NAACP of Wichita is going to have to take back the award they gave Coach M as man of the year November of 2019.

Let me close by saying this, I don't know if Coach M is innocent or guilty of all these things. I was not there and I was not at practice. I have not witnessed any of these things. I do know that the one time I met Coach M I found him to be a very personable nice person. Coach M deserves to have this matter investigated competently and fairly without interference from the media or jealous professors attacking his character. Go Shocks.

Comment

• There are only a few important factors here. First, what the big donors think. If they support Marshall, he will remain as coach regardless of any investigation. If he stops being 'their guy', he will be dropped quickly even if the allegations are proven false. Second, whether this affects Marshall's ability to recruit. If it is does, the program will suffer (again, no matter what facts come out).

These aren't independent. I could totally see a scenario where Marshall is not punished or even suspended, but the program has a bad next couple of years and all of a sudden Marshall gets thrown to the wolves. Part of American tribalism is that so long as Marshall gets 'W's, there will be those that support him no matter what and as soon as he starts racking up 'L's all these allegations will suddenly become real issues.

I don't think my personal opinion on whether these things is true has much merit, nor does my opinion on what is best for the university, the team as a whole, or the players. I see the lines in the sand as already drawn and the truth mattering very little. The money currently supports him. The recruiting looks like it will suffer. And neither of those looks like it will change. In a way, we live in a post-truth world..

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
        No one can convince me he'll be able to recruit going forward. The court of public opinion has spoken. Perhaps that's a travesty but it's reality.
        It would be a travesty and NOT a valid reason to dismiss him, plus, I'll take him coaching two and
        three star players up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Counter point:

I've been employed at my job for 2341 days. If I decide to punch someone I work with this afternoon, I fully expect that my 2341 days will mean absolutely jack and i will be fired. You are correct. His 20 years does not matter if he punched a player. There are lines you can not cross that will wipe out all good that you do. That's not cancel culture. That's life and being held accountable for your actions. Actions have consequences. He could get away with a LOT of verbal stuff if the physical stuff didn't happen. The piece yesterday was largely irrelevant when viewed on it's own. The problem is ... it's not on its own. It's showing a pattern of behavior. It's also something that the law firm will largely ignore because it can't be used to fire him for cause since it was before they hired him.

Damage is done. You can make your fun little stand against "the haters" but Gregg will not be able to recruit. Keeping Gregg means we are ok not going to the tourney. So in a couple of years, after we haven't made the tourney, we will buy him out for 15 million and be back to square one, but with even more damage to University rep.
          You seem to be flip-flopping more than a bass on a hooked line.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Mike Kennedy is actually on a pretty solid rant right now on Twitter about both articles. He's been radio silent since the start from what I can tell. Interesting timing.

Comment

• Here comes ******* again.

Comment

• There is no good way outa this. None.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                  No one can convince me he'll be able to recruit going forward. The court of public opinion has spoken. Perhaps that's a travesty but it's reality.
                  Was Bob Knight able to recruit/succeed at Texas Tech after Indiana?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                    Here comes ******* again.

Talk about a cherry picked headline. Could have also used "That doesn't sound like the Gregg Marshall I've been around"

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                      Here comes ******* again.

Ah, the ever popular and trendy “R” word makes another predictable appearance.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I have not. That's what the word IF means.

Also, It does not matter one bit what 99% of the people on this board think. If Marshall cannot recruit, he's done for. That's fact. I'm sorry that you don't comprehend that. That's not me judging, that's me living in the real world. The real world isn't fair no matter how much some people like to kick and scream. It would be GREAT if the investigation comes back and says they couldn't find proof of it. Do you really think that will matter? Honestly... If you think that will change public perception, you are living in fantasy land. Marshall will have to recruit in the real world, not fantasy land.

It's perfectly fine to personally think that he didn't do these things and that all these people have an axe to grind. That's likely partly true. Some of it is likely blown out of proportion or didn't happen. Some of it likely had to happen just based off the odds and the sheer number of complaints. To think this will all just disappear and that coach will be able to go into kids homes and talk to their parents and use "well the WSU investigation found not wrongdoing" as a cop out and parent's will be like "oh ok, sure!" is just disconnected from reality.
                        I don't think you are listening. There could be the consequences you speak of and/or there could be consequences if this isn't done correctly. You can push your agenda, no matter if you (or I for that matter) are important or not, but the unintended consequences could happen, however this turns out.

Comment

• However, I think I'd be okay with something like, "Well, Mike [Kennedy], frankly they just left a ton of holes open. So we kept pounding it and pounding it inside to take advantage of those gashes."
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I don't think you are listening. There could be the consequences you speak of and/or there could be consequences if this isn't done correctly. You can push your agenda, no matter if you (or I for that matter) are important or not, but the unintended consequences could happen, however this turns out.
                            Someone isn't listening between the two of us. Of that you are correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Ah, the ever popular and trendy “R” word makes another predictable appearance.
                              What a bunch of bullshit. Antoine’s help was one of the reasons Sterling Chapman signed with us. Do you think Antoine, who has been close with the program, would recommend someone he doesn’t respect as a coach to lead this kid for four years?

Comment

• ****man with a clickbait title?!

Color me shocked!!
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X