No announcement yet.

Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent interview and a very entertaining listen. Ron said he wanted to do this with Gottlieb since Doug is a former player and can relate to things that happen in locker rooms. I thought Doug did a great job here and did not pile on 3G at all, he seemed to have a lot of respect for our former coach. I don't blame Ron for coming forward. As Ron said, Coach put him in this situation by telling the lie, this is not on Ron or on Shaq, this is on Gregg Marshall. I seriously doubt 3G could have saved his job for coming clean, it would have been a fireable offense, for cause, and thus no payout.

Comment

• Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
      DG did a good job, tired how he has to relate to some personal story. Is there any question now that Shaq was hit by GM? How do we feel if GM would have admitted his misdeeds? Would it have been enough to save his job?
      Ron seemed to think it was a good possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
        DG did a good job, tired how he has to relate to some personal story. Is there any question now that Shaq was hit by GM? How do we feel if GM would have admitted his misdeeds? Would it have been enough to save his job?
        I don't think that question is answerable. Who knows for sure what the investigation found, if anything, in addition to the alleged Shaq punch, the Linsted grabbing/choking allegation, and the chasing a student-athlete down in the parking lot and allegedly attempting to punch him. The alleged Shaq punch has received most of the pub. How far beyond the 2015 incidents did the report go if any. Did they solicit input form other years including guys who were part of last year's great exodus. Was the decision based on just a couple of incidents or did the investigation show a pattern of abuse or allegations of abuse that were collectively damning. I would like to see the report made public although looking at the report won't undo anything that has been done and certainly won't make the challenges that lie ahead any easier to overcome. Perhaps, it might even do more harm than good to release the report if if they could.

Comment

• Comment

• All I picture is Shaq running around afterward:

”Someone owes my ass $100”

Comment

• Hypothetically, can someone please tell me why, if fHCGM did something more than what he said in his statement (lied and I don't care the reason for it), and such act(s) could have been deemed a "fire with cause" act, that he should have gotten a dime more than what he had already been paid?

Second, if it was not deemed a "fire with cause" act, I'm still not sure why he should get anything more, or feel that he should get anything more, simply because he lied to the fans and players as a representative of WSU. Don't get all emotional about this as I'm simply looking for logical reasons of 1+1=2, not 1+1=3.

I'm also not excusing poor actions by players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Two people are responsible for the move to the AAC: John Bardo and Darren Boatright.

It probably doesn't happen without the contributions of Gregg Marshall, but to not give credit to the two men who made it happen is disingenuous.
                Boatright got the call to punch it in and deserves credit for getting us across the goal line. But the ground work was carried out under Sexton’s tenure.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  Hypothetically, can someone please tell me why, if fHCGM did something more than what he said in his statement (lied and I don't care the reason for it), and such act(s) could have been deemed a "fire with cause" act, that he should have gotten a dime more than what he had already been paid?

Second, if it was not deemed a "fire with cause" act, I'm still not sure why he should get anything more, or feel that he should get anything more, simply because he lied to the fans and players as a representative of WSU. Don't get all emotional about this as I'm simply looking for logical reasons of 1+1=2, not 1+1=3.

The reason the chips fell the way they did is because of the potential culpability the University would have been exposed to and the related PR/$$$ it would cost.

Comment

Hypothetically, can someone please tell me why, if fHCGM did something more than what he said in his statement (lied and I don't care the reason for it), and such act(s) could have been deemed a "fire with cause" act, that he should have gotten a dime more than what he had already been paid?

I thought Ron was going to provide some closure and definitively say he saw HC3GM strike another player. That didn't happen. He was a witness to Shaq hard fouling Zach Brown, and then being thrown out of practice and getting verbally run down while walking through the tunnel. He was a witness to Shaq claiming he got hit. He believed Shaq, but was not a witness to HC3GM striking anyone. He says there are some players that claim to have seen it. Did anybody without an axe to grind actually see Shaq get punched?

It's REALLY starting to look like Shaq got slapped on the back of the head. Humiliating? Absolutely. Crossing the line? Maybe. Possibly. Probably. A "punch"? No.

I think HC3GM is telling the truth in his statement. And it makes sense based on everything we know.
                    Last edited by Kung Wu; November 25, 2020, 11:26 PM.
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Marshall could very well think he did nothing wrong. Power and ego does that to people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post

The reason the chips fell the way they did is because of the potential culpability the University would have been exposed to and the related PR/$$$ it would cost.
                        This.

The University settled for half of what his total buyout would have been. And this was done because WSU likely knew about the incident(s) 5 years ago and did nothing at the time and potentially covered it up or ignored other incidents involving HCGM. You can bet your last dime that if they would have fired him with "cause" and attempted to pay him nothing, he would have filed a lawsuit (a la Beatty at KU) and hired some tough lawyers. If it would have gotten to a discovery phase and/or a trial, all of the University's dirty laundry would have been aired for everyone to see and hear. If you think the bad PR from this to this point has been embarrassing, what could potentially come out of a lawsuit could have been irreprably harmful. This is not even taking in to consideration the legal fees incurred, time and harm to the basketball program, and an eventual settlement that would have likely been in equal to or in excess of what they settled for.

The way it was done allows for both sides to sign an NDA and nothing gets out and WSU likely saves money and bad PR in the long run.

Comment

• You are correct. I believe that the university knew about this incident five years ago and did nothing.
                          Was it a punch or a slap? Who knows?
                          Was Marshall over the top or justifiably angry over a player making a lazy move and possibly seriously injuring another player?
                          Has anybody heard what Zach Brown thinks? Maybe he appreciated Marshall coming to his defense.

Anyway, good luck trying to fire someone for "cause" five years later.
                          WSU would get laughed out of court.
                          I frankly think Marshall did the University a favor settling for 1/2 instead of suing.

Baker's comments only prove that he did not see the alleged hit.
                          Otherwise, it is pure conjuecture and inadmissible in court.

I still think WSU made a big mistake getting rid of someone who was so successful and integrated into the community over this event.

I will bet money Marshall will take a year off, get lots of offers from big schools who want to win.
                          He will go somewhere else and he will WIN.

Will WSU going forward? Who knows.

I think we treated Marshall very shabbily on such think gruel as these largely unsubstantiated claims.
                          Welcome to virtue signaling in 2020. Cancel cuture.

We canceled ourselves. Marshall isn't hurt by this. But he has a right to be angry about this shabby treatment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post

Oh, I agree with that. I intentionally didn't put that in my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I think HC3GM is telling the truth in his statement. And it makes sense based on everything we know.
                              I would have to see a copy of the actual statement again to agree with that. At the time I read his statement, I was pretty sure he went over the top with his innocence.

Comment

I would have to see a copy of the actual statement again to agree with that. At the time I read his statement, I was pretty sure he went over the top with his innocence.
                                “In response to the allegations put forward in the media, I simply state unequivocally that I have never physically struck a player or colleague,” Marshall said. “Allegations claiming otherwise are false.”

Comment

Working...
                                X