Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

But not at all costs (at least IMHO).
    A good number on this board casually besmirch the hell out of 3GS character by labeling him as an abuser and expending “all costs” to win. Two points: You know little to nothing about the inside of the top 150 basketball programs in the country;all of whom are probably looking at the treatment Gregg is getting and saying wow I better not raise my voice at these players and hurt their feelings or else I am a racist abuser. I bet their players are chuckling too.

Next, I assume Charlie Koch and all of us fans should shoulder a huge measure of guilt for putting so much pressure on Gregg to manage all of these ”child laborers” in his “sweat shop”. Take back all our joy and fun from all the winning and most of all pride in the program built by 3G which most of his critics are using to argue we can easily replace him. I guess all of 3G’s critics have looked themselves in the mirror. Audit your posts to make sure you didnt rip Shaq a new one after a performance or any other player so you, of course, weren’t part of the problem. I used to read so many posts that proudly touted how Gregg needed to push the motivational buttons on the nonperformers. I criticized players a lot but choose not to go holier than thou on Gregg. For those of you slamming Gregg make sure your hands are clean. Once hypocrisy knows no limits, none of what is said means anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

No thanks. Not listening to that drivel and those two idiots. They are basically swingin from Goodman’s nuts in this whole thing trying to stay relevant.
      I listened to it - it was actually on Friday's show and not Thursday. First part was what a lot of people have said - better to settle vs drag things out in court and likely pay more, blah, blah, blah. I think the only people who don't get that are the ones that think Marshall shouldn't have received a dime. Was looking forward to him talking about the settlement agreement, but then he said he didn't even read it, so that was a waste. Ended with Lutz doing his usual complaining about how since WSU is a public university, they should release the investigation. Maybe next time he can get a lawyer on the show who has actually read the settlement agreement and can explain things to him.
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

No thanks. Not listening to that drivel and those two idiots. They are basically swingin from Goodman’s nuts in this whole thing trying to stay relevant.
        Actually, you would be listening to the lawyer for most of that show segment. You would hear the lawyer telling them they were wrong for their stance that WSU should have paid nothing and let Marshall take it to court. He gave his reason why it was a good settlement for WSU.

1. WSU doesn't have to prove their case in front of a jury in Wichita, Kansas (which may or may not be sympathetic)
        2. WSU doesn't incur significant lawyer fees fighting it (he estimated in excess of $1 Million)
        3. WSU doesn't get the PR hits over the next 2-3 years as it works through the courts.
        4. WSU doesn't get their dirty laundry aired.
        5. WSU doesn't have to make all the payments within 3 years, they get to defer it over 6 years
        6. WSU didn't have to pay the full amount in the contract.

He said that the results of the investigation will likely get released due to Kansas records law at some point (it will take law suits probably by KWCH or some other media institution). They just won't be released today.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Actually, you would be listening to the lawyer for most of that show segment. You would hear the lawyer telling them they were wrong for their stance that WSU should have paid nothing and let Marshall take it to court. He gave his reason why it was a good settlement for WSU.

1. WSU doesn't have to prove their case in front of a jury in Wichita, Kansas (which may or may not be sympathetic)
          2. WSU doesn't incur significant lawyer fees fighting it (he estimated in excess of $1 Million)
          3. WSU doesn't get the PR hits over the next 2-3 years as it works through the courts.
          4. WSU doesn't get their dirty laundry aired.
          5. WSU doesn't have to make all the payments within 3 years, they get to defer it over 6 years
          6. WSU didn't have to pay the full amount in the contract.

He said that the results of the investigation will likely get released due to Kansas records law at some point (it will take law suits probably by KWCH or some other media institution). They just won't be released today.
          I didn't really get his take on how it would free up 2.2 million for future salary. I get where he was coming from mathematically, but to assume the same money that was there to pay Marshall 3.5 million a year would be there for the future seemed like a bad assumption.
          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

I didn't really get his take on how it would free up 2.2 million for future salary. I get where he was coming from mathematically, but to assume the same money that was there to pay Marshall 3.5 million a year would be there for the future seemed like a bad assumption.
            In addition to some donations drying up, there's the additional problem that $2.2 mill is likely the cap over the next 6 years. If a new coach can be brought in at maybe $1.2 - $1.5, then there's room for some increases if that coach has success. That success might restore some donations. Starting a coach above $1.5 might require some commitments from donors that may not exist today.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• It's time to stop looking in the rear view mirror of life. What's ahead of us is seen through the windshield, not the rear view mirror.

If you keep looking in the rear view mirror, what you're going to see is the Peterbilt logo gaining ground on you and about to crush you.

No matter which side any individual poster was on, we seem to have pretty much agreed that everybody got screwed. There's no way to "unscrew" anybody or affect any public images. The only thing we can do is support the team we're going to be putting on the court in the asterisk season.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                It's time to stop looking in the rear view mirror of life. What's ahead of us is seen through the windshield, not the rear view mirror.

If you keep looking in the rear view mirror, what you're going to see is the Peterbilt logo gaining ground on you and about to crush you.

No matter which side any individual poster was on, we seem to have pretty much agreed that everybody got screwed. There's no way to "unscrew" anybody or affect any public images. The only thing we can do is support the team we're going to be putting on the court in the asterisk season.
                Yeah, this thread has run its course.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  Winning First ;)
                  From Coach Brown's first media presser:

… biggest difference between being an assistant coach and being the head coach:
                  "I think being an assistant coach, I was always being positive with guys when they came out of the game. Now it comes down to winning the game. I just want to make sure these guys know it's about winning. I want to love on them after the game, but in the heat of the moment, we've got to try to win and we've all got to stick together and be positive throughout the year."
                  Wichita State interim head coach Isaac Brown met with the media for the first time since he was named to his position on Tuesday. Brown discussed the differences between being a head coach and an assistant coach, the makeup of Utah State's team and what he is looking for out of his team this year. The Shockers open their season Wednesday against Utah State as a part of the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic.

Sounds like Coach Brown agrees with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

I listened to it - it was actually on Friday's show and not Thursday. First part was what a lot of people have said - better to settle vs drag things out in court and likely pay more, blah, blah, blah. I think the only people who don't get that are the ones that think Marshall shouldn't have received a dime. Was looking forward to him talking about the settlement agreement, but then he said he didn't even read it, so that was a waste. Ended with Lutz doing his usual complaining about how since WSU is a public university, they should release the investigation. Maybe next time he can get a lawyer on the show who has actually read the settlement agreement and can explain things to him.
                    Lutz and the Eagle have both been calling to release information concerning the closed search and hiring of the last president and the present closed search for the new president and the whole Gregg Marshall deal. Both say it is a public university supported by taxes and therefore should have public access to those proceedings. Ted Ayres who I believe was counsel for WSU had an op /ed article that states that at one time years ago the university received 75% of its money from the state but in the years since it has been reduced to 25% which has necessitated an increase in tuition costs and an even larger dependency on donors. Thus the university has lost some autonomy while the donors have more and more influence. I guess it's the old story of "You gotta dance with the one that brung ya.'

Comment

• Despite all the theatrics of late one thing is clear. Coach Marshall left the program in seemingly much better shape than the program he inherited form Mark Turgeon. Perhaps this would not have been the case if he had been dismissed or resigned at the end of last season but at this point he has left plenty for IHCIB to work with. Whether or not WSU can transition through this season or not to a more stable situation remains to be seen. Hopefully, they manage to do that. Now what shape the program is in financially I do not know and how that will impact the program moving forward is hard to predict.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

Lutz and the Eagle have both been calling to release information concerning the closed search and hiring of the last president and the present closed search for the new president and the whole Gregg Marshall deal. Both say it is a public university supported by taxes and therefore should have public access to those proceedings. Ted Ayres who I believe was counsel for WSU had an op /ed article that states that at one time years ago the university received 75% of its money from the state but in the years since it has been reduced to 25% which has necessitated an increase in tuition costs and an even larger dependency on donors. Thus the university has lost some autonomy while the donors have more and more influence. I guess it's the old story of "You gotta dance with the one that brung ya.'
                        Is that 25% is correct we should opt of being a state university and become private (would take a major commitment from donors obviously). The University of Wichita sounds better anyway and we don't have to live with being overshadowed by KU and KSU from a B.O.R's standpoint. Just spit ballin' here.
                        Shocker Football...Alive in '95 errr 2005 errr 2025!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GO_SHOCKERS View Post

Is that 25% is correct we should opt of being a state university and become private (would take a major commitment from donors obviously). The University of Wichita sounds better anyway and we don't have to live with being overshadowed by KU and KSU from a B.O.R's standpoint. Just spit ballin' here.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by GO_SHOCKERS View Post

Yes.

Just ask for a nice endowment from Chuck.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

Interesting that in recent years we have seen a rise in “useful” studies at the university as well. While the state is concerned with giving students a safe space for gender studies and community organizing, donors are giving the uni money to develop a useful workforce with skills to get them hired right out of the gate.
                              Did you know Koch sponsored the business school at ESU as well? My friends in the program said it went from broad, generalized, and poorly put together (it was an afterthought) to laser focused and better thought out. There were a few that had reservations about it due to politics, but those were dashed when they graduated and got good jobs right away from businesses lined up to hire graduates.
                              You know, it’s almost a good thing when the economic drivers have a say in the education of their workforce. Who’da thunk it?
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Only logical explanation for the lack of a mitigation clause - WSU AD was complicit regards Marshall's behavior. I wonder how many former Shocker players complained to the AD?
                                I gotta believe the AD knew SOMETHING was amiss; there should have been interviews done both routinely after the end of the season and after the first wave of transfers.

Comment

Working...
                                X