Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Someone here placed a "timeline" of events regarding the Shaq incident and the AD status at the
    It doesn’t matter if it’s in the Major 7 basketball conferences or not.

Myles Brand didn’t immediately fire Bob Knight, and there was actual proof in that case.
    Last edited by StunningSteve; November 20, 2020, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Someone here placed a "timeline" of events regarding the Shaq incident and the AD status at the time. From what I remember:

The incident happened in September. At the time, Sexton was still the AD, however, he was dealing with (or not) the women's basketball problem regarding Jody Adams and got himself in hot water over it.

In October, Sexton resigned.

In December or January, Boatright was named AD.

I have no idea what Boatright knew or didn't know a that very time, but I'd be surprised if any new AD/Assistant AD at a non-P5/Big East school would take on a Marshall level successful coach at that budding stage of his own career. If he did have knowledge, another guess is that he wasn't the only responsible person making decisions on what would or would not be done about it.
      Post #3216 in this thread has a timeline, but here is another version:

October 22, 2015 - day that Morris says Marshall punched him
      November 18, 2015 - an article on that date mentions Sexton is resigning as AD, he stays on as vice president of student affairs until the summer of 2016 when he resigns altogether from WSU
      December 9, 2015 - Boatright is named interim AD and on July 1, 2016, officially becomes the AD
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• I’m sure Marshall is “ not in Kansas anymore.” What might be his travel and destination plans in the immediate future?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Post #3216 in this thread has a timeline, but here is another version:

October 22, 2015 - day that Morris says Marshall punched him
          November 18, 2015 - an article on that date mentions Sexton is resigning as AD, he stays on as vice president of student affairs until the summer of 2016 when he resigns altogether from WSU
          December 9, 2015 - Boatright is named interim AD and on July 1, 2016, officially becomes the AD
          On Post #3216 there is a link to an article about becoming AD. I'm not sure how many people read the article - https://thesunflower.com/4148/news/b...etic-director/ - but it mentions Boatright had been at WSU since 2010:

"In 2010, Boatright was hired by WSU to work as the senior associate athletic director for external operations."

Just wanted to add the above so people don't think he only started at WSU when he was named interim AD on 12/9/2015. Also, just posting this information since the timeline was mentioned. Please don't shoot the messenger like some did on the original post of the timeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
            I’m sure Marshall is “ not in Kansas anymore.” What might be his travel and destination plans in the immediate future?
            This is from a story from KWCH - https://www.kwch.com/2020/11/17/shoc...all-departure/

"Tuesday, Eyewitness News caught up with now-former WSU Head Men’s Basketball Coach Gregg Marshall at a local restaurant. Marshall said he didn’t want to comment on the investigation into alleged abuse or his resignation, but he did appear to be in good spirits. He said he planned to be on the beach next week, visiting friends in his native South Carolina."

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              I was dumfounded when I saw there was no mitigation clause in Marshall's resignation agreement. I've had a few days to digest that and come to the conclusion that there are only two ways that can happen.

1) WSU's lawyers were utterly incompetent.
              2) Marshall was willing to go to court and take Boatright down because of how the situation was handled when it first occurred, and didn't care if he took himself down in the process.

I don't think WSU's lawyers were incredibly incompetent. I think Boatright sold out the athletic department's finances in an effort to save his own butt. Marshall always said he wanted to retire early and he knew that Boatright had blood on his hands in this deal, so Marshall had the upper hand in the negotiations. Marshall knew that in a court fight he'd take a lot of heat, but so would Boatright. Marshall was ready to retire and Boatright wasn't.

The level of people running WSU's athletic department hasn't kept pace with the level of WSU athletics. Boatright is "probably" better than Sexton. Marshall had a multi-year association with Boatright and knew that he (Marshall) pretty much controlled Boatright and could do whatever he (Marshall) wanted. That included the absence of a mitigation clause in the exit contract. Boatright is using donor money to save his sorry butt.
              A couple things to consider though:

- per section 19, if Marshall does anything to breach the agreement, payments stop. It could be anything from not returning things mentioned in 11(B) to not cooperating with any investigations as mentioned in 12(B). I imagine WSU will be closely monitor anything he does and says for the next 6 years.

- another thing is what was the relationship between Marshall and WSU at the end. Was it the coach vs university type, where both sides are mad at each other and the settlement is a fight, such as KU vs Beaty, or the us vs them type where the coach and university have a good relationship (us) but realize they need to part ways because of outside forces (them) and the settlement is more amicable. WSU had every right to suspend Marshall without pay, but the fact they let him keep coaching and take personal days seems to indicate it could have been more the us vs them type. But I don't know which type it was - just saying one type or the other could dictate the financial terms of the agreement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

A couple things to consider though:

- per section 19, if Marshall does anything to breach the agreement, payments stop. It could be anything from not returning things mentioned in 11(B) to not cooperating with any investigations as mentioned in 12(B). I imagine WSU will be closely monitor anything he does and says for the next 6 years.

- another thing is what was the relationship between Marshall and WSU at the end. Was it the coach vs university type, where both sides are mad at each other and the settlement is a fight, such as KU vs Beaty, or the us vs them type where the coach and university have a good relationship (us) but realize they need to part ways because of outside forces (them) and the settlement is more amicable. WSU had every right to suspend Marshall without pay, but the fact they let him keep coaching and take personal days seems to indicate it could have been more the us vs them type. But I don't know which type it was - just saying one type or the other could dictate the financial terms of the agreement.

Or what was the relationship between Marshall and WSU big money supporters. Did they want to make sure Marshall was able to retire with as little damage to his legacy as possible and provide him with a nice parting gift on the way out in the form of the negotiated settlement. I am not sure we will ever know for sure. As it stands right now if anyone who posts on ShockerNet really knows the answer they aren't talking and the rest of us are just speculating.

The bigger question may be what is WSU's ongoing relationship with its big money supporters.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 22, 2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Austin was all of that but it is falling apart fast.most of the bars that made it the live music capital of the world are closed for good, iconic restaurants closed, many for good. Traffic's a mess, and the dumbass citizens, mostly renters, just voted themselves into a 25% property tax increase, all for an underground transit system that has no chance of paying for itself. It will be 5 yrs before this tax increase even covers the down payment.
                  point is, Austin is not what it was 15-20 years ago or even 1 yr ago for that matter.
                  Even when durant played, they couldn't fill the stadium untill mid January.
                  It a really sorry basketball city & school!
                  I don't disagree with any of that and didn't know about the property tax but I was talking about making $3M a year in Austin Texas coaching basketball, not living in a trailer on South Congress and hanging out at the Chuggin Monkey

Comment

I was dumfounded when I saw there was no mitigation clause in Marshall's resignation agreement. I've had a few days to digest that and come to the conclusion that there are only two ways that can happen.

1) WSU's lawyers were utterly incompetent.
                    2) Marshall was willing to go to court and take Boatright down because of how the situation was handled when it first occurred, and didn't care if he took himself down in the process.

I don't think WSU's lawyers were incredibly incompetent. I think Boatright sold out the athletic department's finances in an effort to save his own butt. Marshall always said he wanted to retire early and he knew that Boatright had blood on his hands in this deal, so Marshall had the upper hand in the negotiations. Marshall knew that in a court fight he'd take a lot of heat, but so would Boatright. Marshall was ready to retire and Boatright wasn't.

The level of people running WSU's athletic department hasn't kept pace with the level of WSU athletics. Boatright is "probably" better than Sexton. Marshall had a multi-year association with Boatright and knew that he (Marshall) pretty much controlled Boatright and could do whatever he (Marshall) wanted. That included the absence of a mitigation clause in the exit contract. Boatright is using donor money to save his sorry butt.
                    Only logical explanation for the lack of a mitigation clause - WSU AD was complicit regards Marshall's behavior. I wonder how many former Shocker players complained to the AD?

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

I don't disagree with any of that and didn't know about the property tax but I was talking about making $3M a year in Austin Texas coaching basketball, not living in a trailer on South Congress and hanging out at the Chuggin Monkey
                      No doubt UT can sign a blank check, but marshall came to WSU because he liked the fan support as much as anything else. Would never get that here in Austin.

Comment

If it came to a court fight, I think Boatright could have taken Marshall down and Marshall could have taken Boatright down. Marshall was more willing to go down than Boatright. Marshall was ready to retire - Boatright wasn't. Boatright agreed to an incredibly bad exit contract in order to not have his name dragged through the mud in a bitter court fight.
                        Rather Marshall vs WSU. Boatright knew but he was an agent for WSU, who would ultimately be soiled in court, with Boatright probably being one of many people to lose their jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Rather Marshall vs WSU. Boatright knew but he was an agent for WSU, who would ultimately be soiled in court, with Boatright probably being one of many people to lose their jobs.
                          I can't imagine the settlement was Boatright's decision, though he may have had some input into the decision.

Comment

• For those who actually want to hear an actual lawyer take on the settlement, instead internet lawyers on shockerner, go looks at Lutz podcast on Thursday. One segment they had a lawyer explain why the agreement was reached and how it was good for both parties.

Comment

• The settlement was handled by the University legal department. While Darron may have had input he would not have the final say.

We need to move on and quit nit picking this settlement. There was always going to be a Post Marshall era. It just happened quicker than we thought.

Was he perfect? No. Was he a tough nosed coach? Yes. Did he cross the line? It appears he may have. It is now history and we need to look forward to supporting this team like we always have.

For what Gregg did for this program and the University as a whole, pales in comparison to this settlement.

Next Chapter. I can hardly wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                                For those who actually want to hear an actual lawyer take on the settlement, instead internet lawyers on shockerner, go looks at Lutz podcast on Thursday. One segment they had a lawyer explain why the agreement was reached and how it was good for both parties.
                                No thanks. Not listening to that drivel and those two idiots. They are basically swingin from Goodman’s nuts in this whole thing trying to stay relevant.

Comment

Working...
                                X