Morris Udeze is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Mo was destined to score close to zero points last night with traditional post up offense. He had no physical advantages over the Memphis defenders. In hindsight, we probably woulda been better off letting PB and JB take all the minutes at center last night.
    Are you telling me the offense shouldn't run through Mo? S h i t, back to the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Are you telling me the offense shouldn't run through Mo? S h i t, back to the drawing board.
      I assume you are being sarcastic, but just in case, the answer is "not against Memphis". That was an easy call.

Comment

Mo was destined to score close to zero points last night with traditional post up offense. He had no physical advantages over the Memphis defenders. In hindsight, we probably woulda been better off letting PB and JB take all the minutes at center last night.
        How close to zero is ten?

I didn’t think Mo’s offense was anywhere near the top of the list of worst things about last night. In fact, he made some nice buckets with his left and had a few sequences where he looked like the only guy on the team with a pulse along with Council.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

How close to zero is ten?

I didn’t think Mo’s offense was anywhere near the top of the list of worst things about last night. In fact, he made some nice buckets with his left and had a few sequences where he looked like the only guy on the team with a pulse along with Council.
          Lets put a video together of all of Mo's touches and see the number of good versus bad. Good for him for scoring a couple open buckets when the defense was flying all over the court. He had maybe one or actual post move baskets.

Comment

Lets put a video together of all of Mo's touches and see the number of good versus bad. Good for him for scoring a couple open buckets when the defense was flying all over the court. He had maybe one or actual post move baskets.
            I’ll let you take care of that. I can remember at least two nice moves and finishes with his left hand.

Again, Mo’s offense was not high on the list of problems last night.

One or two more pump fakes, though, and he probably coulda had closer to 15. Wouldn’t have made much difference to the end result.

Comment

Mo lacks polish but so does most of the team. This team lives on team defense. Mo is below average defensively
              and a very poor rebounder. He has had some success offensively primarily because of some good penetration and
              dishes from teammates. I do like his dunking mentality but those open dunks usually result from a teammate
              drawing Mo's man away from him and/or the rim. I think Poor Bear is the better all around player.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’ll let you take care of that. I can remember at least two nice moves and finishes with his left hand.

Again, Mo’s offense was not high on the list of problems last night.

One or two more pump fakes, though, and he probably coulda had closer to 15. Wouldn’t have made much difference to the end result.
                Pie,
                Mo started the game with two straight travels/turnovers, sandwiched with a lay in after a nice feed to him.
                He also fumbled away two beautiful feeds from AG that should have lead to baskets at the start when Memphis guards were throwing the ball all over the arena.
                His 'play' during the 8:13 of the start of the second half could be described in one word - gross.

He can do one thing - dunk.
                But then again, so could AM and at least he could grab an occasional rebound. Two of the three RB's Mo secured last night were gifts, that literally bounced to him.
                Once again, he is not a bad guy.
                Just not capable of going 'toe to toe' with AAC level post players.

That is all.
                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Pie,
                  Mo started the game with two straight travels/turnovers, sandwiched with a lay in after a nice feed to him.
                  He also fumbled away two beautiful feeds from AG that should have lead to baskets at the start when Memphis guards were throwing the ball all over the arena.
                  His 'play' during the 8:13 of the start of the second half could be described in one word - gross.

But then again, so could AM and at least he could grab an occasional rebound. Two of the three RB's Mo secured last night were gifts, that literally bounced to him.

That is all.
                  Fair enough. I still say in the grand scheme of what went wrong last night I’m pointing a finger at Dexter, Trey, Gilbert and Tyson before Mo. Certainly there were very few bright spots. Probably Ricky Council but even he forced a bit too much.

Someone else said it but there was very little movement off ball. It was a lot of standing and dribbling and ineffective screens. The guards and wings forced way too many shots and seemed more concerned with trying to draw a foul than making a basket.

The second half reminded me of the 16-0 stretch against Houston. A bunch of disconnected hero ball offense with each possession looking like an attempt to make up a 10 point deficit in one shot.

Comment

Totally agree that our guards seemed more concerned with drawing fouls. But the guard or perimeter defense was total garbage. Memphis players drove to the cup without any resistance. I never seen anything like it. The lane was wide open. WTF. Did any WSU guard player get a charging call made against Memphis player? No!!!!!!! Because they were nowhere to be found. That's why Memphis Bigs shot dunks and layups all night long. I am sorry but that is just Bullsht.

Comment

I assume you are being sarcastic, but just in case, the answer is "not against Memphis". That was an easy call.
                      Total sarcasm, due to a lame idea of another poster that we run our offense through Mo. I would be shocked if any other poster on this forum would agree our offense should run specifically through Mo. And if there is such a poster, they can join previous said poster in crazy town, because that is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard around Shocker basketball. Going through a player with limited skill, poor handles and questionable decision making is mind blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Pie,

That is all.
                        To start the 2nd half, there was a rash of plays where MU slid over to the opposite side of the basket to help around the basket on a driving Memphis player. The Memphis player promptly drop the ball off to the man MU was guarding for an easy lay-in or dunk.

My question is: Who is a fault on all of these plays? The WSU player guarding the driver, MU leaving his man to help, no one rotating to take MU's man, or the coaching staff for lack of prep on what everyone is to do or not do in this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

To start the 2nd half, there was a rash of plays where MU slid over to the opposite side of the basket to help around the basket on a driving Memphis player. The Memphis player promptly drop the ball off to the man MU was guarding for an easy lay-in or dunk.

My question is: Who is a fault on all of these plays? The WSU player guarding the driver, MU leaving his man to help, no one rotating to take MU's man, or the coaching staff for lack of prep on what everyone is to do or not do in this situation?
                          Yes
                          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Total sarcasm, due to a lame idea of another poster that we run our offense through Mo. I would be shocked if any other poster on this forum would agree our offense should run specifically through Mo. And if there is such a poster, they can join previous said poster in crazy town, because that is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard around Shocker basketball. Going through a player with limited skill, poor handles and questionable decision making is mind blowing.
                            I appreciate your sarcasm. I can only assume you’re targeting my post. That’s cool and fair. Running the offense through a big wether it MU or PB doesn’t mean they they try and score every time. It’s actual better if they don’t try to score at all. However, if they can cause the defense to collapse and get the ball back out, our guards might have a better chance at making a play. That’s basic stuff all bigs practice or I would hope at this level. However, you’re right. A wet noodle has better offense moves than MU. The drive wasn’t working so inside out game is what I was truly suggesting. However, inside out works when the big actually passes it back out and doesn’t do something stupid.
                            When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

Originally posted by KSUUWSU View Post

I appreciate your sarcasm. I can only assume you’re targeting my post. That’s cool and fair. Running the offense through a big wether it MU or PB doesn’t mean they they try and score every time. It’s actual better if they don’t try to score at all. However, if they can cause the defense to collapse and get the ball back out, our guards might have a better chance at making a play. That’s basic stuff all bigs practice or I would hope at this level. However, you’re right. A wet noodle has better offense moves than MU. The drive wasn’t working so inside out game is what I was truly suggesting. However, inside out works when the big actually passes it back out and doesn’t do something stupid.
                              That makes sense, but it wasn't how I interpreted your original post during the game. I would 100% agree if you didn't specifically target Mo as the one the Shockers should move the offense through. He hasn't proved to have the critical thinking skills to pass out of the post. He has 4 assists and 20 turnovers on the year, so I hope you can see why I think he isn't the big to move the offense through. He makes 5 turnovers before he lucks out with an assist. That is pathetic at best.

Comment

For his career Jaimie Echinique had 28 assists to 90 turnovers. 0.33 assist to turnover ratio.

Shaq had 104 to 143. 0.73 ratio.

Mo has 16 to 43. 0.37 ratio.

Udoka Azubuike 60 to 172. 0.35 ratio.

Yeah, Mo could look to pass more when he gets the ball down low.

His teammates could also do a better job moving into an open space. I didn’t see a lot of that last night.

Is it because they practice with him and know he isn’t going to pass? It’s possible. But if you expect your center to be some kind of amazing passer you’re going to be disappointed more often than not.

Comment

Working...
                                X