Morris Udeze is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    As good as he was against Tulsa, we need to temper expectations against Memphis. They have skill underneath and are not a good matchup for Udeze.
    That could be said about every player on our team depending on our opponent. No one should expect it every night. Doesnt mean he sucks all of the sudden.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Nope, he’s still the same guy. Hopefully the Tulsa game lit a fire in his belly.

Comment

Comment

Sometimes it's the simple things.

Play to your strengths.

Mo has never shown that he's a good outside shooter. Nothing wrong with that, take good shots around the basket. Mo is 38/65 .585 and 17/28 .607 in conference. Those are good shots around the basket. Plus making shots boosts confidence. All pluses. You certainly want your post players over 50% and Ideally over 60%. Mo is right there.

Don't take bad shots. Players that have attempted fewer 3s than Mo this season? Herrs and Bush with zero attempts. That's it. Craig Porter is 2-2. Poor Bear is 4-10.

Draw fouls and get to the line. Make 70%+. A tall order for post men that aren't good shooters. 27-33 .818 Those are big numbers for any player. I have zero idea how he's doing it, but hat's off to the young man for finding a way, somehow, someway. He could get to the line a bit more, but he needs to be on the floor a little mo.

Mo has mostly been a serviceable defender that does foul a bit too much. He's improving on both aspects there. Leads the team in blocks, although not a big number and has 7 steals which means he's active.

Run the court. He needs improvement BUT he's far from bad. I think with his growing confidence he'll get noticeably better here, sooner than later. Sprint down the court, sit you butt down in the restricted circle and demand the ball. This isn't a team that's going to grind it out a lot, successfully, over time with a half court offense that throws it into the post every time. We just aren't that team. A mobile post that beats his guy down the court for easy buckets (Mo has done that, he just needs to do it more often) will do very well in 20-21 for the Shocks.

Rebound. Keep your guy from rebounding. Mo is better at the latter, but improving on the former. Still needs work here.

Play to your strengths young man.....very well done so far.

Comment

Don't forget - pass the ball out of a double team. Know when the basket is open and when your teammates are open.

Comment

On defense he is willing to step in and take the charge. On offense he's got a relatively quick first step, and usually good footwork. It does make me sweat when any player is set up and expecting a pass with a foot anywhere close to the baseline (or sideline for 3 point shooters).

Comment

Rebounding is the one skill that I want out of MU consistently. He should be averaging at least 6 rebounds a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Don't forget - pass the ball out of a double team. Know when the basket is open and when your teammates are open.
                  This is my only real complaint about his play. Dude! Kick it out if there's nothing there. Please!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Draw fouls and get to the line. Make 70%+. A tall order for post men that aren't good shooters. 27-33 .818 Those are big numbers for any player. I have zero idea how he's doing it, but hat's off to the young man for finding a way, somehow, someway. He could get to the line a bit more, but he needs to be on the floor a little mo.

This is simply amazing. Truly beyond expectations. I thought early on that he had corrected his elbow thing and that was allowing him better efficiency. But I was wrong. It's still there. Whatever. Just keeping making shots Mo.

Comment

Mo still needs to figure out how to play with his back to the basket. One, he has to learn that he doesn't always have to shoot and he does have other capable teammates. Two, his actions are typically not fluid and a cringe anytime he tries to put the ball on the floor to make a move. How he doesn't have more turnovers in those situations is baffling.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

This is my only real complaint about his play. Dude! Kick it out if there's nothing there. Please!
                        I totally agree. But not a cross court pass to the other team for an uncontested layup. Sometimes our guards need to rotate onto his side so that he can make an easier pass for the open 3. And if he does it enough, he might be surprised that the ball might come back to him from the guard. Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I totally agree. But not a cross court pass to the other team for an uncontested layup. Sometimes our guards need to rotate onto his side so that he can make an easier pass for the open 3. And if he does it enough, he might be surprised that the ball might come back to him from the guard. Go Shocks.
                          Gotta have better point play. Mo looks best when Porter is in the game. Coincidence? I don’t know.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Gotta have better point play. Mo looks best when Porter is in the game. Coincidence? I don’t know.
                            He got some easy dunks on passes from AG against Tulsa.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Does he?

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Does he?
                                I have noticed he looks more consistent with Porter.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X