2020-21 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    Division III Bowdoin College cancels football and rest of sports this fall due to COVID-19 pandemic - CBS Sports

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...d-19-pandemic/"

...The school hopes for the "opportunity for the winter, spring, and possibly fall varsity athletes to participate and compete in some form after January 1...."
    Lame...

Comment

Patriot League restricts travel in short season - ESPN

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...l-short-season

"...In its statement, the seven-member FCS league said: Student-athletes will return to campus at the same time as the student body; the conference schedule will begin at the end of September and finish before Thanksgiving; and no Patriot League teams will fly to games, and with rare exceptions, regular-season overnight travel will be prohibited...."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        Division III Bowdoin College cancels football and rest of sports this fall due to COVID-19 pandemic - CBS Sports

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...d-19-pandemic/"

...The school hopes for the "opportunity for the winter, spring, and possibly fall varsity athletes to participate and compete in some form after January 1...."
        Easy to do with a 1.75 B endowment.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Easy to do with a 1.75 B endowment.
          Wow!
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I don't think there will be any sports where close contact is required UNTIL we get a vaccine.

Look at what's happening with the NBA and Orlando right now. De Santis is a real doofa. Disney thought they had the opportunity to make a whole lot of money and a captive NBA.

Cases in Florida are surging right now. Adam Silver is monitoring the situation very closely and I think they are either going to cancel (or are one big exposure away). Re: Look at the 8 players for the Phillies who tested positive last week.

Don't get me wrong, we need to have the economy open, but it was foolish for him to blame the surge in Covid cases on migrating farm workers and more testing being performed. He should have been on top of this at least two weeks ago.
            I'm waiting to see what happens with Formula 1. They are going full "bubble" with a bunch of protocols and testing to allow them to go forward even if there is limited covid infections. They will be starting up on July 3-5. It will be interesting to see if they have the "model" to be emulated or will covid bring it all down even with well thought out plans.

Comment

If you want a basketball season this year and you want the economy to recover, then remove politics from the reaction to CV. Make wearing a mask a factor of social responsibility instead of a statement about personal freedom. Wearing a seat belt will save your life. Wearing a mask will save mine. Is it that important to express your rights that you're willing to risk my life to do it? Get over that and the economy recovers and we have basketball, possibly with a full arena.

Florida is seeing a spike in CV among people between the ages of 25-40.

At one point I was certain there would be basketball this year. I'm still of the opinion that it will happen. The fact that, as a nation, we peaked then plateued, makes me wonder if we have the will to do what it takes to recover to the point where we can have a basketball season.

I really want to see what the 2020-2021 version of the Shox can do. I think it's a better group of players than last year and I think they can have a better record than last year's group. It really irritates me that the response to an unstoppable infection has become a political statement instead of a logical response to an infection. Making that political statement, by not wearing a mask and ignoring social distancing, is the biggest threat to the existence of the 2020-2021 basketball season.

We've got the highest HS-rated PG we've ever had (Fred was underrated). Etienne is a man among boys. If Dennis can show progression from his Fr year and not show what he brought in the first half of his So season, we've got a pretty solid core group. Wade is likely to be significantly better than his Jr season, but he's still undersized.

I'm hoping Bilau is ready to be a significant contributor instead of a minute eater. I'm not confident the 5 will be solid, but if Bilau can be a significant contributor, the 5 should be capable of supporting an NCAA team with a possibility of multiple W's in the tourney.

When we made the F4 and had multiple high-level runs we had multiple NBA players on the team. I think Dennis, Etienne and Bilau have NBA potential.
              Last edited by Aargh; June 23, 2020, 12:04 AM.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

This season unfortunately isn't happening. At least not like we're used to. Hopefully there will be games...but it won't be played in front of 10,000 fans. I so hope there will be a season...but damn...by the looks of things.........
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Absent a vaccine the season is likely a write off. Look at the football infections.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

It's about the tort protection that reportedly is included in the next stimulus bill. That will likely determine if there is a football season this year. I expect that bill to be passed in late July/early August after much political wrangling.

Comment

Maybe the NCAA should stream all games this year. Offer streaming all the games, ala a "season ticket" package.

Let's face it, it's about the money, and if they can monetize it safely, we'll have a season.

Comment

I think there will some kind of season. NBA . . .

Comment

another option is to shut all sports down in perpetuity. Sports are/were inherently racist and should just be cancelled altogether. Just wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            another option is to shut all sports down in perpetuity. Sports are/were inherently racist and should just be cancelled altogether. Just wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              if we were to guarantee that all rosters, all crowds, all coaching staffs perfectly mirror the ethnic make up of the gen pop

Comment

Looks like Dex and Mo are in town.

Comment

Working...
                                X