No announcement yet.

Former Shockers Media Mentions & Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, I guess it was too subtle. His autograph is on the Final Four chair that Nick Wiggins is selling.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Sorry, I guess it was too subtle. His autograph is on the Final Four chair that Nick Wiggins is selling.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Comment

• Go Shockers - Catching Up: Bret Wise

Wise, now an optometrist in Wichita, earned the team's Academic Leadership Award as a redshirt in 2002 and the next two seasons before graduating and leaving for optometry school.

Wise remembers the double-overtime loss to Florida State (76-65) in 2004 in Koch Arena as an indication about the potential for the program.

"My ears were ringing after that game," he said. "Everybody was so excited. The community just wanted us to succeed and really got behind us. Right then, even though I was leaving, I could tell the university and the basketball team were definitely moving in the direction, when you have that kind of support."

Wise, a Wichita Eagle All-State pick in 2000 at Emporia High, knew what Turgeon expected from him.

"I was one of the lucky people that come in and realized what my role is going to be," he said. "It's not going to be me scoring 20 points. It was me coming in off the bench to give good defense and rebound. I took pride in that."
          Bret was an unsung hero. One of those guys that won't fill up the stat sheet, but was going to bust his ass to do what he was there to do. Kind of like a Hatch or Wessel or Ben Smith. Gritty guy that was going to work hard and fight for everything.

Dude also took a ton of charges if I remember correctly.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Go Shockers - Catching Up: Bret Wise

Bret was an unsung hero. One of those guys that won't fill up the stat sheet, but was going to bust his ass to do what he was there to do. Kind of like a Hatch or Wessel or Ben Smith. Gritty guy that was going to work hard and fight for everything.

All time best hair team too

edit: I think I’m thinking of someone else. The guy I’m thinking of had dark hair that stood straight up on his head, iirc
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

All time best hair team too

edit: I think I’m thinking of someone else. The guy I’m thinking of had dark hair that stood straight up on his head, iirc
              That was Bret, at least at some point.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

That was Bret, at least at some point.
                Thought I was losing it’s for a minute there.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Thought I was losing it’s for a minute there.
                  You could be like me… I lost it many moons ago.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Comment

Asbjorn was such a good guy. I wish him all the success in the world.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Asbjorn stroking threes. Gotta love it!

Comment

• He always had a nice looking shot, especially for a big man.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Go Shockers - Catching Up: Bret Wise

Super nice guy and stunningly intelligent. His wife Jamie is a wonderful, sweet & friendly match for him. Amazing young family!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Super nice guy and stunningly intelligent. His wife Jamie is a wonderful, sweet & friendly match for him. Amazing young family!!
                              I second this. Also, as an example of how, in the pre-NIL days, student-athletes could eventually get paid by playing the long game, I started using Bret as my eye doctor because of his connection to Shocker Basketball. How many people hooked up with Evan Wessel as their financial advisor for that same reason?
                              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I second this. Also, as an example of how, in the pre-NIL days, student-athletes could eventually get paid by playing the long game, I started using Bret as my eye doctor because of his connection to Shocker Basketball. How many people hooked up with Evan Wessel as their financial advisor for that same reason?
                                I would not put changing eye doctors and financial advisors in the same category

Comment

Working...
                                X