2020-21 Basketball Happenings Around the AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020-21 Basketball Happenings Around the AAC

Hunter and Jank too high, Dawkins and McKie too low.

Comment

'76 in 3, 2, 1...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Haith is an enigma.... horrible coach who SOMEHOW tied for a title this year

Comment

22. Bob Richey, Furman

Score: 80
          Raw Rank: T-85th
          Relative Rank: 1st

Pope and Richey are both early in their respective careers. Pope has been a DI head coach for five seasons, most recently capping off an impressive 2020 at BYU. Richey has been the head guy at Furman since 2018, taking over for Niko Medved. Both coaches scored extremely high on the relative rank scale - top two in the country in fact. Pope’s four Utah Valley seasons were brilliant when compared to both a program and preseason perspective, but his 2020 BYU year was his second-best Adj. EM improvement of his coaching career.

Richey has exceeded expectations in all three seasons at the helm, and his Furman teams have finished in the KenPom top 100 in each of those three years. Pop quiz: how many Furman squads have finished in the KenPom top 100 from 1997 - 2017? Answer: Zero.
          There are 350+ Division I coaches in the country. Ky ranks them all.

Comment

So, 76, how about a Sweet 16, Final 4, 7 NCAA tourneys in a row, plus several more at his previous small school, Winthrop?
            Sort of outweighs Richey I would say, as he hasn't done ANY of these things.

May prove good down the road, but I'll stick with the proven commodity.

I will wait for your obligatory personal attack response.

Comment

Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
              So, 76, how about a Sweet 16, Final 4, 7 NCAA tourneys in a row, plus several more at his previous small school, Winthrop?
              Sort of outweighs Richey I would say, as he hasn't done ANY of these things.

May prove good down the road, but I'll stick with the proven commodity.

I will wait for your obligatory personal attack response.
              Sorry to disappoint but I don't do "...personal attack" responses; those responses come from Shockernet posters who fall within the bolded text presented in the article. FYI

"Most of those who click this article will not read the introduction, or any of the ranking justifications themselves. Before reacting rashly and bombarding us with "crying laughing" emojis, I urge you to read the criteria below, and understand that the list was assembled in an almost completely objective, statistical manner. Of course, most of the people who need to read this section won't do so... Criteria

General Notes

KenPom data was used for all performance scores. Data in KenPom goes back to the 2002 season, meaning any coaching performance from prior to 19 years ago was not considered in this ranking. For example, Coach K’s 1991 and 1992 national titles were not considered in this ranking.

KenPom tracks preseason rankings back to the 2012 season. For example, this means Steve Alford’s performance relative to preseason expectations at Iowa in 2006 was not considered in this ranking.

Ties were broken more or less subjectively, but most weight was given towards relative performance metrics. Relative Performance (57% of total score)

Relative performance is made up of two attributes. The first is a coach’s performance relative to his school’s average performance. Average school performance was derived by taking the average ending (pre-Tourney) Adj. EM from 2002 to 2020, per KenPom. A coach’s average ending (pre-Tourney) Adj. EM at a particular school was measured against his school’s average Adj. EM.

The second attribute is a coach’s performance relative to preseason expectations. This is simply the difference between a coach’s beginning Adj. EM per KenPom and ending Adj. EM (from 2012 to 2020).

Note, in order to limit skewed results, special consideration was made for coaches who have been head coaching for only 1-2 years and coaches who have been at a program for 15+ years."

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                22. Bob Richey, Furman

Pope and Richey are both early in their respective careers. Pope has been a DI head coach for five seasons, most recently capping off an impressive 2020 at BYU. Richey has been the head guy at Furman since 2018, taking over for Niko Medved. Both coaches scored extremely high on the relative rank scale - top two in the country in fact. Pope’s four Utah Valley seasons were brilliant when compared to both a program and preseason perspective, but his 2020 BYU year was his second-best Adj. EM improvement of his coaching career.

Richey has exceeded expectations in all three seasons at the helm, and his Furman teams have finished in the KenPom top 100 in each of those three years. Pop quiz: how many Furman squads have finished in the KenPom top 100 from 1997 - 2017? Answer: Zero.

Comment

22. Bob Richey, Furman

22 > 15?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    '76 in 3, 2, 1...

Called it
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

22 > 15?
                      Marshall's score is 81 while Richey's score is 80; IMO that difference in an objective analysis supports my position that Richey is an "emerging talent" in D1 basketball coaching.

Comment

Marshall's score is 81 while Richey's score is 80; IMO that difference in an objective analysis supports my position that Richey is an "emerging talent" in D1 basketball coaching.
                        No, your analysis said that Richey is unequivocally better than Marshall and that he should kick Marshall to the curb.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Rulz is that a video of you or Fever?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

No, your analysis said that Richey is unequivocally better than Marshall and that he should kick Marshall to the curb.
                            Please provide a link to a post where I made that argument. What I posted was I have had "my fill of Marshall."

Comment

Rulz is that a video of you or Fever?
                              “I don’t personally attack”

”I don’t insult”

”I don’t make comments like a 4th grader”

lol effing hypocrite
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...