Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pie n eye
    replied
    Is it safe to assume that we would not be in the first four if we either beat Cincinnati or Georgetown and Oregon State didn’t win their conference tournaments?

In that scenario I wonder what our seed would have been. Still a 11? 8, 9? If it’s the latter then maybe the loss to Cincinnati, while frustrating, could be a blessing in disguise.

For one, it’s a potential wake up call for the team that losing focus on the little things - defense, rebounding, exection, etc. - will eventually result in a close loss instead of win. Maybe they needed it all year if not for the fact that a loss would have cost them the AAC championship and/or an NCAA bid.

Additionally, I kind of like our draw to the second weekend. I’m not going to go so far as to predict three wins because I think all three teams are good and will require a Houston level effort by the Shockers but...

Drake is without one of their best players and their other guy is coming back after a long injury and just happens to play the position Dexter excels at defending.

USC might be the best of all three potential opponents on paper and they have an NBA center who will eat our lunch. Stop me if you’ve heard that about our NCAA opponent before. Obviously it’s not a one to one comparison, different teams, different players. Sounds like Mobley is more of a Wiseman type player. I dunno, USC just seems like a flame out candidate, I could be totally wrong.

Then of course there are the mighty Flagships. They are long and athletic and fly around on defense. We’ve seen a lot of teams like that in the American. They seem to have capable scorers even if they’re inconsistent. I see a lack of PG leadership they’ve had in the past. Hell, I’ve heard some people mention Eastern Washington as an upset pick. I doubt it but who knows.

Crazier things have happened but you gotta get by Drake first.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Not at the end of the year. Several teams fell off

167 Temple
    168 Tulane
    180 ECU
    205 USF
    Honest question...how do these teams fall lower in the NET when their deep into conference play going against each other toward the end of the season? Did this type of "drop" happen to teams in P-5 leagues. I would assume so.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
    Anyone else interested to see the AM/Luka Garza matchup? Not that I think Grand Canyon wins or AM has some monster game, but I think it may be a lot closer then people think. Grand Canyon is pretty good defensively.
    AM runs the court as good as Garza does, and that's not a compliment to either player.
    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; March 17, 2021, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
    All AAC teams this year were in the top 160 of the NET, so the bottom actually did their part this year. Just need to get a full non-conference so Memphis / SMU / Cinci can put together a solid resume.
    Not at the end of the year. Several teams fell off

167 Temple
    168 Tulane
    180 ECU
    205 USF

Leave a comment:

• WeWillShockU
    replied
    Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
    Jeff ******* (@GoodmanHoops) Tweeted:
    BREAKING: 6 top referees - including Ted Valentine, John Higgins and Roger Ayers - have been sent home from Indy due to one positive test and contact tracing, sources told @stadium. They went to dinner after hotel rooms not ready.

STORY: https://t.co/SPh4qF5Yay
    That was a very expensive dinner.

Leave a comment:

• Steeleshocker
    replied
    All AAC teams this year were in the top 160 of the NET, so the bottom actually did their part this year. Just need to get a full non-conference so Memphis / SMU / Cinci can put together a solid resume.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
    BREAKING: 6 top referees - including Ted Valentine, John Higgins and Roger Ayers - have been sent home from Indy due to one positive test and contact tracing, sources told @stadium. They went to dinner after hotel rooms not ready.

That sucks

Leave a comment:

• Shocker Mama
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ted Lasso's Neighbor
    replied
    Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Huh? Did I miss something?

Twitter probably got tired of Gary Parrish talking about Memphis too :)

“[On Sunday], there was a system issue impacting accounts that Tweeted the word ‘Memphis’. The issue mistakenly requested that account owners delete those Tweets and temporarily limited their account features. The affected accounts are now reinstated and this issue has been resolved,” said a Twitter spokesperson via email.

Leave a comment:

• Windiwu
    replied
    I watched AM in their final against New Mexico State.. He really would have been helpful here this year even though his foot speed is still not really improved. He is a solid player and I guess has the top field goal percentage in the country. I know he did very well in some of WSU's top games while he was here going against other *big* big men.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    I just want Midtgaard to show well enough against Garza to go get paid well somewhere to play next year. (and no I don't mean at KU)

Leave a comment:

• TrackSuitAndTie
    replied
    Anyone else interested to see the AM/Luka Garza matchup? Not that I think Grand Canyon wins or AM has some monster game, but I think it may be a lot closer then people think. Grand Canyon is pretty good defensively.
    I don't think they'll pull it off, but if Grand Canyon can get Garza into foul trouble they have a shot. They are pretty good for a 15 seed.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    I do look forward to that matchup. I think the big fella will show well, but Garza is a beast and Iowa has some pretty good guards as well. I expect Iowa to pull away late.

Leave a comment:

• Horn28Clem30
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Also of importance: Lowest NET rankings to make the tourney.

73 - St Johns (2019)
    72 - Wichita State (2021)
    70 - Michigan State (2021)
    63 - Arizona State (2019)
    61 - Minnesota (2019)

There is a reason none of those came from mid-major conferences ... we don't get in the tourney with a 72 NET from the MVC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X