Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the AAC move to a 20-game conference schedule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been listening to epidemiologists. None are predicting a seasonal drop, as is seen with colds and flu.

The most common opinion among those who study this and have made it their careers is that it will not be resolved until there is either a vaccine or so many people have had it that there is community immunity.

This is not based on anything from epidemiologists, but creating an anti-viral medication to kill the virus in infected people is likely to be a much longer process than developing a prophylactic vaccine. Just look at how long it took to develop anti-virals for HIV and Hep-C.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I've been listening to epidemiologists. None are predicting a seasonal drop, as is seen with colds and flu.

The most common opinion among those who study this and have made it their careers is that it will not be resolved until there is either a vaccine or so many people have had it that there is community immunity.

This is not based on anything from epidemiologists, but creating an anti-viral medication to kill the virus in infected people is likely to be a much longer process than developing a prophylactic vaccine. Just look at how long it took to develop anti-virals for HIV and Hep-C.
      That's who I've been listening to as well. What I posted above was best-case scenario.

Worst case is that it's not seasonal and our hermit-lives are the new normal.

Regarding the anti-viral, it could be closer than the vaccine.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post

Worst case is that it's not seasonal and our hermit-lives are the new normal.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020...QPEEDhPW4Y0pK8
        If that is the case, is life really worth living?

Honest question.
        The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

If that is the case, is life really worth living?

Honest question.
          Suppose that's up to you to decide. I guess a lot of people are discovering that when it's them and them alone, they can't live with themselves.

I'm happy. I'm fortunate in that I can do 95% of my work from home, though. Others, not so much.

With regard to how long we can go, the seasonality of it, and other questions, check this.

Comment

Well humankind will go into a fast extinction, if that is the case
            The Assman

Comment

Well humankind will go into a fast extinction, if that is the case
              Not sure why you think that. Worst case scenario, a vaccine is here in about 18 months. An antiviral could be as soon as 4 or 5 months.

Not sure things will come to that. What are you suggesting?

Comment

Honestly, I haven't read the article, so maybe that clears it up.

I was just going off the assumption that we'd be hermits for the rest of our existence.

If that was the case, I'd rather take my chances of getting the virus and dying by living life, vs dying alone after living in a hole for years and years.
                The Assman

Comment

Honestly, I haven't read the article, so maybe that clears it up.

I was just going off the assumption that we'd be hermits for the rest of our existence.

If that was the case, I'd rather take my chances of getting the virus and dying by living life, vs dying alone after living in a hole for years and years.
                  Again, nobody has ever said "years and years," so not sure where you got that.

Have you read anything about the subject? Surely this isn't the first time you've considered what we're heading towards, right?

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post

Again, nobody has ever said "years and years," so not sure where you got that.

Have you read anything about the subject? Surely this isn't the first time you've considered what we're heading towards, right?
                    Like i said, I have NOT read the article. I was going off your comments "our hermit-lives are the new normal".

Having live like that forever sounds pretty "worst case to me". it was thought experiment.

Like I also said, I expect it to clear up sooner, rather than later.

Done derailing this thread. 20 game conference season FTW!
                    The Assman

Comment

Any way back on TOPIC. After reading the NON virus related posts I have decided I Chose Poorly and would like to change to a full conference slate of games. The other system of dropping the lower tier teams to a single game still resonated in my brain but I was suffering from postpartum mvc. Makes more sense to play conference games with relative good strength than the buy games of horrible strength. Thank you SN for showing me the error of my ways.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        Any way back on TOPIC?
                        I vote yes

Comment

The tiered scheduling system made sense when Tulane and ECU were like #812 in RPI/NET. But if the bottom of the conference can consistently be top 150 or even 200, it makes total sense to have a 20 game format.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

The reasons for playing a full round robin have been presented and the argument is credible.

Some of the reasons for playing unbalanced are:
                            1 The projected better teams in the conference have a stronger league schedule which will help them get an NCAA bid
                            2 It also allows the AAC to have better match ups for TV which is better for the league.
                            3 In theory it allows the better teams to increase their strength of schedule by playing better teams in the non conference.than the bottom teams in the conference
                            . Of course if a school chooses to play a bunch of poor teams, like we did this year, that doesn't matter.

Comment

Even with a 20-game conference schedule, there would still be some games scheduled against some "disappointing" opponents. A couple of tuneup games that are easy W's are always likely to appear on the schedule.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I was thinking that it would prevent other conference teams from scheduling a couple more "easy" games as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X