2020-21 Smack Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Same thoughts came to mind with regards to Shocker baseball, however I'm not sure the Shockers could have made a better choice (of course still to be determined) by getting Wedge and Hibbs in the fold. The higher level recruits seem to be taking notice again... at least that's what I've been hearing. I also believe playing in the AAC will make our rebuild (a hopeful return to glory) a little easier. In fairness to Nebraska, football is probably a bigger challenge... it's an entirely different animal.
    i'm hopeful for all of the above. definitely thinking that wedge will get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

So an extra $16M per year for a school with a nearly $1B annual budget, all so they could teeter on the brink of P5 irrelevance?

Makes sense.
      I believe the annual athletic revenue is in the 136 million dollar range. Curious where the 1B annual budget comes from. Is that the total school budget?

Comment

Huskers made some bad coaching hires who spent several years destroying a culture that was the basis of Nebraska's success. Frank Solich is no Dr. Tom, but if they'd never fired him they wouldn't be in the shape they're in today. Pelini is not a bad coach but he is a nut case, and he had to go. Callahan is a good line coach but was a HORRIBLE head coach, and he obviously had no idea what college football is all about. And poor ol' Mike, "The nicest man in football"...he just wanted to show up on game day and then go out for ice cream after. If anybody can rebuild that culture Scot Frost is the guy; one of the toughest sumbitches out there. But kids are different now, and with the lapse...don't know if it can be done.
        "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

Not sure why Nebraska is getting play on a Wichita Board. That said, if you look at the regression of the Huskers, getting rid of Solich was the start. It is also a lesson in things not to do as an AD. Even if you plan on firing a coach, you don't do it after an 8 win season. That sets the bar too high for incoming coaches. And if you plan on firing a coach that won 8 games, you had better already (behind the scenes) reached an agreement with a replacement.

The above started the whole mess. But even earlier, when Osborne retired, he saddled Solich with his assistants. Solich had to try and get guys with no loyalty towards him, to follow. The assistants didn't. Finally, Silica was given the green light to hire new assistants, but he only got one year with them, not enough time.

Everything following happened due to the above. Pelini could get players to walk through walls for him, but he constantly fought with the media and was unhinged on the sidelines. His players emulated his lack of self control and Nebraska racked up penalties like no other.

Mike Riley was a stop gap. He was hired to bridge the gap until Scott Frost was available. Another lousy hire. Probably the worst. Riley never moved his family to Lincoln, he knew the deal. After the media questioning didn't cease, he bought a small, I believe 2 bedroom house in Lincoln, keeping his regular residence in Oregon.

Scott Frost is not on the hot seat at all. The state of the football program was in such bad shape when he arrived, outsiders would have a hard time believing. It will take another two years just to be competitive. As an example of the sorry state, and many won't believe this, but its true, Mike Riley made weightlifting and off season conditioning optional. Yes, optional. Most players opted out. Optional weightlifting doesn't even happen in high school.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
            Not sure why Nebraska is getting play on a Wichita Board.
            Because of regional affiliation with the Big 8 conference. Kansas was right in the middle of it.

Comment

Working...
            X