2020-21 Smack Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    You could literally count the people in the first 7 rows behind the visitor's ben on TV games from Tulsa. There were only a few games where it wasn't possible to count the people in the first 7 rows behind the Tulsa bench while watching on TV.
    This is most unfortunate. In the past they were a great rival both in FB and BB. Maybe it does not always seem so at the time, but in my opinion, looking back, it was great fun having a 'hated' rival that made a bad season tolerable, especially in football where there were not so many games.
    I
    Plus, there were times back in the 40's and 50's when we got the next Monday school day off after a victory a victory over Tulsa.

And if my faulty memory serves me right, did not one of our BB greats show up a few years back and talked to our BB players about the rivalry. and how important it used to be, and still should be, to beat Tulsa.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      You could literally count the people in the first 7 rows behind the visitor's ben on TV games from Tulsa. There were only a few games where it wasn't possible to count the people in the first 7 rows behind the Tulsa bench while watching on TV.
      Sounds like they were well ahead of the curve with social distancing...
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Rating The Most Hilarious UConn Men’s Basketball Losses During Their Time In The AAC - SB Nation.

By Ben Snider
        Jul 1, 2020, 8:15am CDT

"It’s worth remembering the trash heap that their basketball program has been since Kevin Ollie won a title...

January 12, 2020: Wichita State - 89, UConn - 86 (2OT)
        This actually wasn’t funny. I was really stressed. I was posted up at Harpo’s in Kansas City waiting for the Chiefs-Texans Divisional Round playoff game to start and I was already nervous so watching the entire Shockers team not be able to hit a damn free throw made everything worse. I mainly wanted to use this space to point out the Shocker’s 5-1 record against UConn since joining the AAC with mostly disappointing teams and the common talking point after those 5 wins was for people in Connecticut to say something along the lines of, “At least we’re not poor.” Great folks up there...."

Comment

The funny thing is, I know a fair amount of folks living in Connecticut. They aren’t UConn grads, a little more a bulldog than Husky. They never discuss income levels or fund size. Must be a continued inferiority complex of the “older” Connecticut university.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
            They never discuss income levels or fund size.
            After all, it's not the size of your endowment that matters, it's how you use it!
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              Rating The Most Hilarious UConn Men’s Basketball Losses During Their Time In The AAC - SB Nation.

By Ben Snider
              Jul 1, 2020, 8:15am CDT

"It’s worth remembering the trash heap that their basketball program has been since Kevin Ollie won a title...

January 12, 2020: Wichita State - 89, UConn - 86 (2OT)
              This actually wasn’t funny. I was really stressed. I was posted up at Harpo’s in Kansas City waiting for the Chiefs-Texans Divisional Round playoff game to start and I was already nervous so watching the entire Shockers team not be able to hit a damn free throw made everything worse. I mainly wanted to use this space to point out the Shocker’s 5-1 record against UConn since joining the AAC with mostly disappointing teams and the common talking point after those 5 wins was for people in Connecticut to say something along the lines of, “At least we’re not poor.” Great folks up there...."

Ironic for a school that was running like 80 million in the red.

Comment

https://www.k-statefans.com/forums/v...php?f=4&t=9931

"I can see both sides of it. I like that it does create some excitement compared to a lot of the other non-conf games. Otherwise, why give the egotistic Marshall what he wants after years of trash-talking KU & KSU, and give in without any concessions? WSU was who ended the series in the first place after us winning 14 of the last 16 matchups, and now that their program has some relevance, and in a little better conference, they want to play again.

It's a home-run win for WSU & Marshall just to schedule a game against the superior instate school, even without considering their favorable schedule. Don't see near the benefit to KSU. They should be coming to Manhattan every time if they want to play... we had that leverage. Instead, we get 3 games in Wichita and 1 game in Manhattan, 1 in KC, that's ridiculous for KSU to schedule that. Just my 2 cents"

Comment

"I can see both sides of it. I like that it does create some excitement compared to a lot of the other non-conf games. Otherwise, why give the egotistic Marshall what he wants after years of trash-talking KU & KSU, and give in without any concessions? WSU was who ended the series in the first place after us winning 14 of the last 16 matchups, and now that their program has some relevance, and in a little better conference, they want to play again.

It's a home-run win for WSU & Marshall just to schedule a game against the superior instate school, even without considering their favorable schedule. Don't see near the benefit to KSU. They should be coming to Manhattan every time if they want to play... we had that leverage. Instead, we get 3 games in Wichita and 1 game in Manhattan, 1 in KC, that's ridiculous for KSU to schedule that. Just my 2 cents"
                  A lot of action on that board...
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Not sure what kind of crack that K-State dude is smoking, but Turg and Schaus absolutely were not the ones who canceled that series. Jim Wooldridge and crew publicly said that they didn’t see any use for that series even though WSU was rising and KSU was floundering. Nice try. Thanks for playing.
                    78-65

Comment

It's a home-run win for WSU & Marshall just to schedule a game against the superior instate school,
                      Final NET/RPI Rankings

WSU - 41
                      KSU - 99

WSU - 63
                      KSU - 23

WSU - 21
                      KSU - 38

WSU - 29
                      KSU - 53

WSU - 41
                      KSU - 89

WSU - 12
                      KSU - 108

WSU - 6
                      KSU - 58

WSU - 18
                      KSU - 23

WSU - 18
                      KSU - 44

WSU - 35
                      KSU - 22

Running Ten Year Average
                      WSU - 28.4
                      KSU - 55.7

So the "superior instate school" has finished with a worse NET/RPI 8 of the last ten years and has a 10 year average that is roughly half as good as WSU. That's not accounting for the built in RPI/NET advantage of playing in the Big 12.

So let's be perfectly clear. This is a GREAT series, but this benefits KSU as much or more than it benefits WSU.

Comment

LMAO. This is why I LOVE KSU fans.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It's okay kittens, when the B12 implodes after the big boys leave, we'll be happy to have you as a conference mate in the AAC.

Comment

Comment

Do they even get their own arena 65% full?

Comment

Why would someone think that 65% would be KSU fans? Given past history with IBA and with KSU getting 5,000 seats, I don't even see all season ticket holders having a shot at tickets (secondary market aside). I'm wondering if season ticket holders will only get as many tickets as they have season tickets. Then there is the group of tickets that go to the special Intrust ticketholders.

Comment

Working...
                                X