1941–50 90 115 205 44%
    1951–60 151 118 269 56%
    1961–70 161 109 270 60%
    1971–80 138 132 270 51%
    1981–90 196 98 294 67%
    1991–00 117 169 286 41%
    2001–10 181 137 318 57%
    2011–20 278 73 351 79%

Perhaps you have a memory of attending, watching on TV, or listening to Mike Kennedy on the radio to a Shocker game from the last decade you would like to share. What ever you got: pictures, videos. GIF's, audio, news articles, your thoughts, lets get going.

Well, here is the schedule as we walk down memory lane:

Monday, 03/23/20 - 2010–11 Season
    Tuesday, 03/24/20 - 2011–12 Season
    Wednesday, 03/25/20 - 2012–13 Season
    Thursday, 03/26/20 - 2013–14 Season
    Friday, 03/27/20 - 2014–15 Season
    Saturday, 03/28/20 - 2015–16 Season
    Sunday, 03/29/20 - 2016–17 Season
    Monday, 03/30/20 - 2017–18 Season
    Tuesday,03/31/20 - 2018–19 Season
    Wednesday, 04/01/20 - 2019–20 Season

What do you remember about the last 10 years? Was this "greatest decade of all the decades" of Shocker Basketball?

I'll get us started with a game on December 18, 2010.

I attended my first game of the 2010-11 season/decade, it was on the road and was Wichita State versus LSU in Bossier City, Louisiana. A small group of my family (9 of us) had traveled and stayed the weekend just before Christmas. I think this was the final of a three-game series and WSU was looking for the sweep of the Tigers. We were a small, but pretty strong-voiced Shocker crowd and the Shocker fans were whooping it up from the start. WSU was on fire during the first-half and we were up by 14 at the half, 37-23.

LSU decided to fight in the second-half and started off with a 10-0 run, now it was 37-33. The LSU fans were finally into the game and were really supporting their team. Later on LSU would eventually take a 4 point lead with about less than 1 minute to play. Then David Kyles would hit a deep 3-pointer to bring the Shockers within one, 67-68, with 24 seconds left in the game. Wichita State fouled intentionally and the shooter made one of two free-throws, now 67-69. With the play of the game, Garrett Stutz came up big for the Shockers hitting a 3-pointer from the right wing with 7 seconds left on the clock. Toure’ Murray then sealed the game with a steal, Shockers win 70-69.

The Shocker fans were going nuts, LSU was ticked-off, the LSU coach wanted to fight the referees, Shocker players were heading to the locker-room when Coach Marshall game to the sidelines and invited the Shocker fans in the stands to come with him. It was kind of pandemonium for a bit when this happened as gown adults were storming the court over the high railings and little Shockers fans were running all over the place. We got half-way down the tunnels with Coach Marshall when security had had enough and were blocking our way the final few steps to the locker-room. We had almost made it. Coach Marshall tried to persuade them to let us go but they wouldn’t budge, so Coach Marshall told us to head back to the court. In just a couple of minutes Coach Marshall was back with the whole team on the court. I remember talking to Graham Hatch and telling him he played really well (he played 33 minutes) and I remember high-fiving Garret Stutz and telling him I knew he’s 3-ball was going to be nothing-but-net when he got the pass. I’m telling you, I did! You could see it was going to be good from a mile away.

What a game, couldn’t get any better could it? Well, it did. The next morning I got the local paper to read about the game and my youngest son and I had made the news as we were in the sports pictorial section with our home-made sign talking smack to the LSU Tigers.

"Laissez les bon temps rouler."

Comment

WuShock Reaper thanks for that little walk down memory lane, good idea.

I was listening to the WSU vs Pitt re-broadcast on KFH yesterday and was slightly surprised to hear Bob Hull doing the color. Then here he is again on this game. I’ve always been a radio listener but for whatever reason I didn’t realize Bob had been doing it that long. I miss Ron Heller, did he ever get to call any games in the Marshall era? Besides Bob, Dave, and Ron am I missing any other color commentators since Dave quit doing road games?

Comment

I should have included this first, but didn't see it until i was looking at other stuff. , I'll do it each day if i can find them.

2010 IronWU - Wichita State Athletics Team Hype and Intro Video

Comment

December 21, 2010 - Tulsa at Wichita State

Three days later, I was back in Wichita from Louisiana for the downtown INTRUST Arena game against Tulsa.

Tulsa and the Shockers would play on the hardwood for the 120th time overall, and the first game since 2004-05 when the Shockers won, 71-66, in Tulsa, Okla. The series first started in 1930-31 as a home-and-home event. The two teams last played in Wichita during the 2003-04 season when the Shockers took a 66-58 win. Tulsa leads the overall series by one game, 60-59.

INTRUST Bank Arena.jpg

It would be a slug-fest, with punch counter pouch, uppercut versus undercut and the two teams combined for 51 3-pointers in the non-conference game.

Last edited by WuShock Reaper; March 23, 2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I have one really, really bad memory from the decade.

Image result for wichita state final four run

This was the year I was super busy at work. I got to attend ZERO home games. Working 50-60 hours a week and then volunteering for a completely separate organization that year (on their board) and volunteering during their fundraisers (my kids were a part of the organization) I just didn't have the time or energy to sit down and watch re-broadcasts of any of the games. So I didn't. I did have radio. SO I listened. I don't even recall posting much on SN during that season because of the workload.

So the Shockers make their run. They make the NCAA Tourney. What do I do? Do I sit down and watch a game? Uhh, no. They got that far without me, so I listened on the radio. My son was watching the TV as WSU beat the Zags. They rolled over Ohio State. All the while I was in the other room listening on the radio. I did run in briefly to catch the end of the Ohio State game when it became evident we were going to win. ANd we did. We advanced to the Final Four.

Now the bad part. Having not been around the last go around the Shockers made this trip, I decided to......watch. On the TV. First game I watched in entirety all season. And we lost.

So in the words of Thor of Asgard, the next time the Shcokers make the Final Four (and it will happen)

NOT to watch the game.

Comment

Always thought this one would be hard to beat... gives me goose bumps (chill bumps)…

Last edited by WstateU; March 23, 2020, 01:16 PM.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

January 12, 2011 – Wichita State at Creighton
                Creighton White Out and $1 Beer.jpg
                $1 Beverages Promotion Part of White-Out For Wichita State

Wichita State defeated the Creighton Blue Jays, 68-54 at the Qwest Center in Omaha, Neb. The victory was the first for the Shockers in Omaha since 1992, when WSU defeated Creighton, 64-62. Thank you Creighton for the win and I'll have another beer, check that---make that two.

Comment

January 22, 2011 – Indiana State at Wichita State

The win marked the Shockers' first triple-overtime victory in Shocker history and just the third triple-overtime game played by Wichita State. The game also was the first triple-overtime game played at Charles Koch Arena.

Comment

February 23, 2011 – Creighton at Wichita State

Behind a sellout crowd and the pre-game celebration of the senior class the Wichita State University men's basketball team gave the Shocker faithful a dramatic win to close out the 2010-11 home slate as the Shockers defeated Creighton 67-65 Wednesday night.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

Wichita State defeated the Creighton Blue Jays, 68-54 at the Qwest Center in Omaha, Neb. The victory was the first for the Shockers in Omaha since 1992, when WSU defeated Creighton, 64-62. Thank you Creighton for the win and I'll have another beer, check that---make that two.
                      Was there and had several beers. My girlfriend and I were the last two people left in the arena and got a big smile and wave from Marshall on his way to post game interview.

Comment

April 6, 2013 - Final Four

After graduating in 2000 and moving to Georgia, I hadn't seen a WSU game in person since I left (went to every game while in school). I had an opportunity fall in my lap at the last minute. The firm I work for has an office in Atlanta and they had tickets for the Final Four. However, the client they planned on taking backed out last minute. The office manager in Atlanta knew I was a WSU grad and offered the tickets to me, along with the use of the company apartment. What a great experience. I should also mention that I am a huge Michigan fan as well. Got to watch my two favorite teams in the Final Four. Here is a picture from where my seats were. You pretty much had to watch the video screen to follow the game action.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Last edited by eeshocker; March 23, 2020, 03:17 PM. Reason: Sorry, jumped the gun. Please don't read this post until Wed.

Comment

My favorite away game I attended of all-time. If I recall it was kind of over early. I just remember Ben Smith eating them alive, but I haven't looked at the box score.

At the Omaha bars afterwards, by collogues and I had lots of conversations with Nebraska fans, who attended as CU fans, asking about GM being the Cornhuskers coach. It wasn't a complicated discussion.

Comment

NIT FIVE GAME RUN – “Bloom Where You’re Planted” – Head Coach Gregg Marshall

Opening Round March 16, 2011 – #5 Nebraska at #4 Wichita State

Second Round March 20, 2011 – #4 Wichita State at #1 Virginia Tech

Quarter Finals March 23, 2011 – #6 College of Charleston at #4 Wichita State

Semi Finals March 29, 2011 – #4 Wichita State vs #2 Washington State
                            Full Game –

Finals March 31, 2011 – #4 Wichita State vs #1 Alabama
                            Full Game –

Comment

I'll get us started with a game on December 18, 2010.

I attended my first game of the 2010-11 season/decade, it was on the road and was Wichita State versus LSU in Bossier City, Louisiana. A small group of my family (9 of us) had traveled and stayed the weekend just before Christmas. I think this was the final of a three-game series and WSU was looking for the sweep of the Tigers. We were a small, but pretty strong-voiced Shocker crowd and the Shocker fans were whooping it up from the start. WSU was on fire during the first-half and we were up by 14 at the half, 37-23.

LSU decided to fight in the second-half and started off with a 10-0 run, now it was 37-33. The LSU fans were finally into the game and were really supporting their team. Later on LSU would eventually take a 4 point lead with about less than 1 minute to play. Then David Kyles would hit a deep 3-pointer to bring the Shockers within one, 67-68, with 24 seconds left in the game. Wichita State fouled intentionally and the shooter made one of two free-throws, now 67-69. With the play of the game, Garrett Stutz came up big for the Shockers hitting a 3-pointer from the right wing with 7 seconds left on the clock. Toure’ Murray then sealed the game with a steal, Shockers win 70-69.

The Shocker fans were going nuts, LSU was ticked-off, the LSU coach wanted to fight the referees, Shocker players were heading to the locker-room when Coach Marshall game to the sidelines and invited the Shocker fans in the stands to come with him. It was kind of pandemonium for a bit when this happened as gown adults were storming the court over the high railings and little Shockers fans were running all over the place. We got half-way down the tunnels with Coach Marshall when security had had enough and were blocking our way the final few steps to the locker-room. We had almost made it. Coach Marshall tried to persuade them to let us go but they wouldn’t budge, so Coach Marshall told us to head back to the court. In just a couple of minutes Coach Marshall was back with the whole team on the court. I remember talking to Graham Hatch and telling him he played really well (he played 33 minutes) and I remember high-fiving Garret Stutz and telling him I knew he’s 3-ball was going to be nothing-but-net when he got the pass. I’m telling you, I did! You could see it was going to be good from a mile away.

What a game, couldn’t get any better could it? Well, it did. The next morning I got the local paper to read about the game and my youngest son and I had made the news as we were in the sports pictorial section with our home-made sign talking smack to the LSU Tigers.

"Laissez les bon temps rouler."

i was there too, thought it was in Shreveport though

Comment

Working...
                              X