2020-21 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Springtime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

My favorite part is when he didn’t even mention ES by name.

Gregg (almost) ALWAYS mentions everyone by name; First and Last. He didn’t even do the courtesy of mentioning him, outside of “that/the situation” (at least he eluded to JB and GS by their position).

3G’s never does anything by accident ;)
    "The other situation - well, that was inevitable". Didn't seem to be any sadness in GGG's voice when he said that.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

I don't think the coaches discussed it with the players. If they were recruiting Porter all season, it's possible or even likely Porter talked with others about it and asked about WSU. It seems that with social media there are no secrets any longer among players and recruits. If JB was unhappy he wasn't the starting pg every game and he heard they were recruiting a junior all american pg it might have influenced him. Of course just like everyone else on here I'm just giving my opinion.
      I have news for JB, he won’t be the starting pg at tech next year or likely the year after. If he’s so insecure that he fades away when he’s faced with competition then he’s weak.

Comment

Sounds like with JB it wasn’t just about PG but he wasn’t playing enough minutes. Man we had some head cases on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Sounds like with JB it wasn’t just about PG but he wasn’t playing enough minutes. Man we had some head cases on this team.
          What team? Or did you mean "teim"? Lol
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Didn't he lead the frickin team in minutes played??

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Didn't he lead the frickin team in minutes played??
              yes, but per 3G it wasn’t enough

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Oh he mentioned his name. I believe his name was "Negative Forces"
                A/k/a “Inevitable.”

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Oh he mentioned his name. I believe his name was "Negative Forces"
                  Best short comment in many a moon.

Comment

If Dex returns, our low side is 21 wins and high side 26 preNCAA.

Comment

I don’t even care how many games we win. I just hope they play

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                        I don’t even care how many games we win. I just hope they play
                        I wonder what this pandemic experience will do for people who generally skip the lower-profile non-conference games...and before anyone thinks I’m making accusations, I’ll tell you that I’m talking to/about myself first and foremost. After being hunkered down at home with no sports to watch, I’m going to relish the opportunity to go to a game, whether it’s against Oklahoma State or Savannah State. More importantly, I cannot wait to watch a game with great friends like Doc, who make my sports fandom that much more enjoyable and entertaining.
                        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

"The other situation - well, that was inevitable". Didn't seem to be any sadness in GGG's voice when he said that.
                          Based on his comments in this interview and the interview with Lutz, I’m of the opinion that 3G held the door open and probably had Kellen tweet the Transfer Portal URL to Mr. Inevitable.

Comment

Question to the decision makers on the board....Maybe we need a Taylor topic to have a place to put stuff like this? Anywho, this is a good interview with Taylor discussing Shox and other related topics.

Last edited by wichshock65; April 25, 2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Early Hoops Preview: Wichita State Shockers - 247 Sports

By JOE YEAGER
                              posted:06/16/20, 10:00pm cst

https://247sports.com/college/texas-...son-148214953/

"Wichita State Shockers

2020 Record: 23-8 (11-7)
                              Head Coach: Gregg Marshall, 522-202
                              Home Venue: Charles Koch Arena, 10,500

Key Losses: Jaime Echenique (11 PPG, 7 RPG), Jamarius Burton (10 PPG, 4 RPG, 3.4 APG, 38% 3PT), Grant Sherfield (8 PPG, 3 RPG, 2.9 APG), Erik Stevenson (11 PPG, 5 RPG, 1.5 SPG)

Essential Stat Rankings: Assist/Turnover Ratio, No. 92 ; Field Goal Percentage, No. 319 ; Field Goal Percentage Defense, No. 15 ; Rebound Margin, No. 45 ; Scoring Defense, No. 33 ; Three-Point Field Goal Defense, No. 41 ; Turnover Margin, No. 74

Projected Starters: Alterique Gilbert, PG, 6-foot ; Tyson Etienne, CG, 6-foot-1 ; Dexter Dennis, CG, 6-foot-5 ; Trey Wade, SF, 6-foot-6 ; Asbjorn Midtgaard, C, 7-foot

Sixth Man: Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler, PF, 6-foot-9

Top Newcomer: Clarence Jackson, SF, 6-foot-6

Backcourt: Gregg Marshall loses starting point guard Jamarius Burton, who transferred to Texas Tech, but replaces him with Connecticut grad transfer Alterique Gilbert. They are very different players, but Gilbert should be a more than adequate substitute. He’s an extremely quick street ball type who keeps the orange on a string. One-on-one, Gilbert is tough to keep out of the paint, but he’s also got the ability to shake perimeter defense to free up his solid jumper. His game resembles that of Oklahoma State’s one-and-done Jawun Evans Two other veteran guards will make sure that Wichita State’s backcourt is a good one. Tyson Etienne hit 38 percent of his trifectas last season, while 6-foot-5 Dexter Dennis played the second most minutes per game of anybody on last year’s team, trailing only Burton. All of these guards keep their man in front of them and contest threes.

Frontcourt: Trey Wade, a former junior college transfer, could really burst onto the scene in his junior season for Wichita State. He’s very explosive and athletic, has a terrific midrange game hallmarked by hook shots and step-back jumpers, is a decent deep shooter and a solid rebounder. The beef and the pork up front will come from seven-foot Dane Asbjorn Midtgaard and chunky Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler. They didn’t play huge minutes last season, but will see their court time increase this year.

Prospects for the Season: No program was hit harder by transfer mania than Wichita State, which lost three prime players in Burton, Grant Sherfield and Erik Stevenson, in addition to a few others who would be in the rotation during the upcoming season. The addition of Gilbert will soften the blow, but there’s still work to do. Wichita State was a hideous shooting team last season and will hope that junior college transfer Clarence Jackson helps out in that regard. One way or the other, though, Gregg Marshall will figure it all out and the Shockers will be tough in February and March."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                                Early Hoops Preview: Wichita State Shockers - 247 Sports

By JOE YEAGER
                                posted:06/16/20, 10:00pm cst

https://247sports.com/college/texas-...son-148214953/

"Wichita State Shockers

2020 Record: 23-8 (11-7)
                                Head Coach: Gregg Marshall, 522-202
                                Home Venue: Charles Koch Arena, 10,500

Key Losses: Jaime Echenique (11 PPG, 7 RPG), Jamarius Burton (10 PPG, 4 RPG, 3.4 APG, 38% 3PT), Grant Sherfield (8 PPG, 3 RPG, 2.9 APG), Erik Stevenson (11 PPG, 5 RPG, 1.5 SPG)

Essential Stat Rankings: Assist/Turnover Ratio, No. 92 ; Field Goal Percentage, No. 319 ; Field Goal Percentage Defense, No. 15 ; Rebound Margin, No. 45 ; Scoring Defense, No. 33 ; Three-Point Field Goal Defense, No. 41 ; Turnover Margin, No. 74

Projected Starters: Alterique Gilbert, PG, 6-foot ; Tyson Etienne, CG, 6-foot-1 ; Dexter Dennis, CG, 6-foot-5 ; Trey Wade, SF, 6-foot-6 ; Asbjorn Midtgaard, C, 7-foot

Sixth Man: Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler, PF, 6-foot-9

Top Newcomer: Clarence Jackson, SF, 6-foot-6

Backcourt: Gregg Marshall loses starting point guard Jamarius Burton, who transferred to Texas Tech, but replaces him with Connecticut grad transfer Alterique Gilbert. They are very different players, but Gilbert should be a more than adequate substitute. He’s an extremely quick street ball type who keeps the orange on a string. One-on-one, Gilbert is tough to keep out of the paint, but he’s also got the ability to shake perimeter defense to free up his solid jumper. His game resembles that of Oklahoma State’s one-and-done Jawun Evans Two other veteran guards will make sure that Wichita State’s backcourt is a good one. Tyson Etienne hit 38 percent of his trifectas last season, while 6-foot-5 Dexter Dennis played the second most minutes per game of anybody on last year’s team, trailing only Burton. All of these guards keep their man in front of them and contest threes.

Frontcourt: Trey Wade, a former junior college transfer, could really burst onto the scene in his junior season for Wichita State. He’s very explosive and athletic, has a terrific midrange game hallmarked by hook shots and step-back jumpers, is a decent deep shooter and a solid rebounder. The beef and the pork up front will come from seven-foot Dane Asbjorn Midtgaard and chunky Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler. They didn’t play huge minutes last season, but will see their court time increase this year.

Prospects for the Season: No program was hit harder by transfer mania than Wichita State, which lost three prime players in Burton, Grant Sherfield and Erik Stevenson, in addition to a few others who would be in the rotation during the upcoming season. The addition of Gilbert will soften the blow, but there’s still work to do. Wichita State was a hideous shooting team last season and will hope that junior college transfer Clarence Jackson helps out in that regard. One way or the other, though, Gregg Marshall will figure it all out and the Shockers will be tough in February and March."
                                Great news! Asbjorn Midtgaard is back!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X