No announcement yet.

Dexter Dennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dex is just one more of the notable young men that have graced the Shocker uniform! What a great story!
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Veritas, you are a good poster, except when it comes to talking to or about Doc. Not sure what he ever did to you but you are acting like a revenge laden once scorned villain in a western. I admire Doc for his restraint.
      I wouldn’t call his numerous responses “restraint” at all.

I believe there are major issues with the tenor of his posts going back years including his “insider view” of the athletic department, his infamous football teaser post, irrationality of his Todd Butler support, VB student athletes held to a lesser standard, and coeds in general.

Rather than disparage his overall character, which is unfair and not appropriate (especially since I don’t know him personally), I’ll continue to shine a light when I feel it is necessary.

Comment

• Doc is one of Shockernet's brighter lights, if not the brightest. He's made us all better posters.

And if you don't believe it, just ask him.

Hamilton's Law.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
          Doc is one of Shockernet's brighter lights, if not the brightest. He's made us all better posters.

And if you don't believe it, just ask him.

Hamilton's Law.jpg

BREAKING: poster who never has anything nice to say about anyone still has nothing nice to say about anyone.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Doc most likely had a speck in his eye when it came to Butler. While Doc is and has always been a huge Shocker supporter of all sports, he probably had/has a relationship with Butler that didn’t allow total impartiality when evaluating his coaching failures. I do believe that he totally supports Shocker baseball and HCEW, and is an asset to the program. If anyone on this board has been perfect in evaluating our Shockers and programs, cast the first stone.

Comment

• I've seen DD try to drive to the hoop a couple of times. It appears he is not able to dribble fast enough to be effective at that. His jumper will start dropping sooner or later. He's had slow starts every year but his Fr year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                Doc most likely had a speck in his eye when it came to Butler. While Doc is and has always been a huge Shocker supporter of all sports, he probably had/has a relationship with Butler that didn’t allow total impartiality when evaluating his coaching failures. I do believe that he totally supports Shocker baseball and HCEW, and is an asset to the program. If anyone on this board has been perfect in evaluating our Shockers and programs, cast the first stone.
                Being obviously a member of the Butler family, I can add my opinion on this. I supported Butler, the kids, and the program for 4 years. After that I supported the kids and the program.

I still say many on this board cannot differentiate between supporting the kids/program and supporting the coach.

There is no bigger supporter of the program that I know than Doc. If it’s possible, he is there. Offering support. Offering encouragement.

I am also family to DD. Obviously as well since we both are from Louisiana.

He, like many, have struggled mentally at some point in their lives. I’ve watched this young man play since before he started at Southern Lab. Great young man.

Another thing I remind myself many times when watching College Basketball/Baseball, that these are just kids. It’s weird watching posters on here rip apart 18 yo kids working toward a degree much more than they rip apart pro athletes making more money than everyone on this board combined in a single season.

Oh, and since this post is already all over the place, a reminder for all the a-holes on here. You can justify being an a-hole on a message board by saying it’s not a place for the players and parents. But if you think they don’t read it, you are sorely mistaken. And if you don’t think it influences how they feel about the program and the fans, you are an ignorant ****.

Go Shox!

Comment

• Can you clarify DSB if the same rule applies to former players or those that transfer (ES)? Just curious before I remove the hypocritical nail from your cross.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

BREAKING: poster who never has anything nice to say about anyone still has nothing nice to say about anyone.
                    You didn't think the meme was funny? Oh, wait...

Adams.jpg

Go Shocks!
                    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 29, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                      Can you clarify DSB if the same rule applies to former players or those that transfer (ES)? Just curious before I remove the hypocritical nail from your cross.
                      That is a fair point, but ES is a very, very, very unique situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                        Can you clarify DSB if the same rule applies to former players or those that transfer (ES)? Just curious before I remove the hypocritical nail from your cross.
                        In my opinion, it depends on how you carry yourself while at WSU and on your way out the door. Clearly, ES went scorched earth on the program and burned every bridge imaginable on his way out the door. Extremely unique situation. Don't kick me in the balls and then ask me to support you in the next breath...

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Being obviously a member of the Butler family, I can add my opinion on this. I supported Butler, the kids, and the program for 4 years. After that I supported the kids and the program.

I still say many on this board cannot differentiate between supporting the kids/program and supporting the coach.

There is no bigger supporter of the program that I know than Doc. If it’s possible, he is there. Offering support. Offering encouragement.

He, like many, have struggled mentally at some point in their lives. I’ve watched this young man play since before he started at Southern Lab. Great young man.

Another thing I remind myself many times when watching College Basketball/Baseball, that these are just kids. It’s weird watching posters on here rip apart 18 yo kids working toward a degree much more than they rip apart pro athletes making more money than everyone on this board combined in a single season.

Oh, and since this post is already all over the place, a reminder for all the a-holes on here. You can justify being an a-hole on a message board by saying it’s not a place for the players and parents. But if you think they don’t read it, you are sorely mistaken. And if you don’t think it influences how they feel about the program and the fans, you are an ignorant ****.

Go Shox!
                          I will speak for myself, but I didn't see too many who didn't support Butler during his tenure. If they did, it was because their feelings were hurt by Gene S. being let go (Since then this has been worked out, but then, feelings were bound to be hurt in a NO WIN situation). The best situation would have been for Gene to see the writing on the wall and formulate his own exit, but that wasn't to be.

While an iconic figure, and a university (and national really) treasure for college baseball, I thought that Gene Stephenson's magic was in the past. He was 70+, and From all of the information I had heard, the Assistants were doing almost all of the recruiting, and I had seen this picture with Snyder (KSU), Penn State, etc. I thought his energy was waning, and he just wasn't the Gene who had brought Shocker baseball to national prominence. I preferred a Shocker being hired, but was open.

Todd Butler enters the picture. While I was unsure about Butler early, I was sold that he was a fantastic recruiter, and hoped that our winning fortunes would soon return. The MVC should be winnable. GS had been winning or competing for the crown most years before 2009. While Butler had some good recruiting classes, he was 4th and 5th in the MVC his first two years, which I thought was subpar. However, I was still hopeful, and while Butler had several players drafted high, and play MLB baseball since, his teams in the American were 7th and 8th (out of 9 AAC teams). Even more telling is that Todd Butler, also had a losing record as a head coach 169-180-1 I totally lost confidence in Todd Butler by this time, and I no longer supported him as our head coach. You may support losing Shocker baseball coaches, and have low expectations, but I don't.

Enter HC Eric Wedge who has since had a winning record in a tough American Conference of 44-25. He also has taken 3rd in 2021 (2020 was not completed).

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Go Shox!
                            In my experience with fan boards (I've been part of only a few, admittedly, but more than one) they aren't generally the place to go looking for wise soothsaying critique or input. they're more a place for most to vent about the daily emotion over a win/loss/situation. Which can be fun to read! But if an athlete reads them, I hope they have someone who can explain this "aspect" to them (generally by explaining that passionate fans sometimes overreact and/or react stupidly) , especially if an athlete is mentally fragile. Parents reading the boards? they should already know what to expect. And if a parent interacts in an arrogant way with the fanbase, especially on a board, then off with the kid gloves!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Todd Butler enters the picture. While I was unsure about Butler early, I was sold that he was a fantastic recruiter, and hoped that our winning fortunes would soon return. The MVC should be winnable. GS had been winning or competing for the crown most years before 2009. While Butler had some good recruiting classes, he was 4th and 5th in the MVC his first two years, which I thought was subpar. However, I was still hopeful, and while Butler had several players drafted high, and play MLB baseball since, his teams in the American were 7th and 8th (out of 9 AAC teams). Even more telling is that Todd Butler, also had a losing record as a head coach 169-180-1 I totally lost confidence in Todd Butler by this time, and I no longer supported him as our head coach. You may support losing Shocker baseball coaches, and have low expectations, but I don't.

Enter HC Eric Wedge who has since had a winning record in a tough American Conference of 44-25. He also has taken 3rd in 2021 (2020 was not completed).
                              In my post, I specifically call out year 4. Those were his Seniors. And they were good kids. Played hard. And bled black and gold. They just weren’t good at winning college baseball games. That’s why I have, and will continue to, support the program and specifically the athletes.

When they put on a Shocker uniform, they deserve our support. I have never heard anyone say “Once a Shocker who played on a team that made Super Regionals, always a Shocker!”

All that was to point out Doc and many others (1972Shocker comes to mind) continue to support these young men and women. Don’t want to do SASO, or buy season tickets, fine. Want to call out coaching mistakes/failures, fine. Your choice. But remember these young men and women are here to get an education. They deserve our respect as long as they represent the University and City with class. Which they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

In my experience with fan boards (I've been part of only a few, admittedly, but more than one) they aren't generally the place to go looking for wise soothsaying critique or input. they're more a place for most to vent about the daily emotion over a win/loss/situation. Which can be fun to read! But if an athlete reads them, I hope they have someone who can explain this "aspect" to them (generally by explaining that passionate fans sometimes overreact and/or react stupidly) , especially if an athlete is mentally fragile. Parents reading the boards? they should already know what to expect. And if a parent interacts in an arrogant way with the fanbase, especially on a board, then off with the kid gloves!
                                They read them to see expectations of the fan base. I’m not going to drop names, and you can believe me if you want. But I know kids who have had to dwindle down a list of 50+ D1 college offers. They eliminate ones that don’t have their major. They eliminate based on distance from home (some eliminate near, some eliminate far). They eliminate ones where they don’t click to the coaching staff. Sometimes they narrow list and have 5 or 6 quality programs offering them scholarships. How do you differentiate them?

Our board used to be top notch, and many times still is, at recognizing effort. We went to Shocker Basketball games in the 90’s. Most programs don’t do that. Films from the crowd were shared with athletes as we started to rebound in the 2000’s, and continued til COVID. We have more and more posters who seem to take personal vendettas against players. That raises a red flag to athletes and parents.

Speaking of parents, I am not saying they should come here and expect to be bowed down to. And FoTP definitely deserved all he deserved. But let’s not treat all parents that way just because one did. Most of the Shocker parents I have met have been great people, just like their kids. Talk about team shortcomings and opportunities, blow up the coach. All for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X