No announcement yet.

State of the Basketball Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many years of mass exodus are you guys willing to take?

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      The amount of my concern equals the length of the hair on HCGM’s chin.
      DSB...I have no beef with you, but unfortunately your track record of supporting a coach no matter what is pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

What are you getting at? He makes 3.5 a year and auto 7 year contract renewal every year. I could be wrong on all that but I think it takes him leaving (who is going to offer him a better contract right now) or someone paying him 25 million (roughly).

Neither is going to happen.

He is a winning coach and has built Wichita State into what it is. Hopefully he gets the right players in here and he learns to be slightly less stubborn.

Comment

There is something terribly wrong. There are 2 extremes going on. The proof is that you have players who "believes in Coach Marshall for the vision of himself and the team", then another player who love the fans, Wichita State and actually hugged Marshall and thanked him." Then you have a player say " I didn't have a good relationship with coach." These are huge extremes. I don't want to bash the coach or the players. Hopefully something comes out. I think the vast contrast has people somewhat "shocked" maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
            The amount of my concern equals the length of the hair on HCGM’s chin.
            How's Todd Butler doing these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post

What are you getting at? He makes 3.5 a year and auto 7 year contract renewal every year. I could be wrong on all that but I think it takes him leaving (who is going to offer him a better contract right now) or someone paying him 25 million (roughly).

Neither is going to happen.

He is a winning coach and has built Wichita State into what it is. Hopefully he gets the right players in here and he learns to be slightly less stubborn.
              So you're fine with not-quite-good-enough and then losing 6 players a year? I'm not saying they have to fire the guy, I'm saying there needs to be some heat applied. This cannot continue. This coaching staff needs to do better. They need to better identify talent/personalities that fit their style. They need to do a better job at development and retention.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
                Depends on the results of the season and my personal opinion of the players.

Is that the most important thing to you? The number of players who are retained at year end. Do you not consider any of the context?

Comment

It's said that past relevant behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

The number of players who have played significant minutes and have left the program in years 1 -12: 1

That player was Austin Reaves, and he had some circumstances that pretty much cannot be repeated by other players. Jake White might be considered a second, but he was better off transferring to a lower-level program. Same for Ricky Torres. I don't consider trfr's who go to lower-level programs to be of any concern. It's generally best for the player and for the team they leave.

We have 4 players who saw significant minutes leave this year. There was an unusual situation this year. There was a locker room problem and that can cause multiple players to be dissatisfied.

There is no pattern of mass defections of players who see the court. I think there was one bad apple that spoiled some others around it. The crabgrass spread.
                  Last edited by Aargh; March 16, 2020, 09:02 PM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

How's Todd Butler doing these days?
                    Are you really trying to compare Marshall to Butler? Come on, man, you’re better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Is that the most important thing to you? The number of players who are retained at year end. Do you not consider any of the context?
                      Are NIT appearances and 4th place finishes in the AAC the most important thing to you? I expect more out of $3.5mm per, and I think that’s reasonable.

Comment

If that's the case. There are going to be a lot of "warm seats" around the college basketball schools this next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. D View Post
                          If that's the case. There are going to be a lot of "warm seats" around the college basketball schools this next season.
                          Kid, go back to studying—he’s a top 10 paid coach in college basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Sure, context matters. I personally did not care for Burton or Stevenson. However, whether I like them or not, they were being counted on lead this team for years to come. Regardless how much "context" you want to paint this issue with, unless you are bringing in big time players who can wildly produce in a year or two in the program, there is no chance for continued success.

I'm most interested in the CONTINUED success of Wichita State basketball. I know there will be bumps and down years. I don't expect those to be self-inflicted in back-to-back years.

Comment

As you suggested. Coache(s) UNC, Florida, Syracuse, etc.

Comment

As a side note - more studying - Kentucky's retention rate (low) - Calipari - 5 mil

Comment

Working...
                                X