No announcement yet.

Potential Transfers into program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Eldgridge: Wichita State Basketball Recruiting - Profiles of D-1 Transfer Prospects

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

In an exclusive interview with the Eagle, Marshall said he is considering not using all 13 scholarships after stockpiling last season’s roster with too much talent that led to playing time issues. He also told the Eagle that he wants to avoid another scenario where he has five or six players all in the same class.

The Eagle has scouted, compiled video highlights and profiled all nine Division I transfers that WSU is currently looking at. A second part will be released Monday profiling the junior-college transfers and high school prospects.

Wichita State basketball recruiting big board: 10 juco and high school prospects

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 28, 2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• I bet Marshall improves his stats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Apparently, context isn't your strong suit
        I'm sure it's not the context, but rather me not knowing what context it is that I am apparently missing. Is the context that we need bodies? Sure, perhaps he's the best option for WSU at this point in the game. But that says more about the state of the program than anything else.

I'm not sure we can expect a big leap from those numbers.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Can I get a scholly, coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
            I am glad he is coming. But let's not act like he will be a massive upgrade. The stats are not great.

He's an upgrade offensively. He's also considered elite defensively. Gilbert, Etienne and Dexter is a pretty damn good backcourt especially on the defensive end

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
              Can I get a scholly, coach?
              Yeah, you can. Cuz you’re such a scholar.

Comment

• Comment

• Taylor Eldridge's Profile:

Former five-star recruit and McDonald’s All-American who never could overcome shoulder injuries while at UConn. The talent has always been there and Gilbert hopes a new environment will bring out the best in him for his final season. He can be an absolute electric playmaker, capable of breaking down defenders one-on-one or team defenses in the pick-and-roll game. He’s a point guard that needs the ball in his hands with the overwhelming majority of his shots coming off the dribble. That can lead to difficult shots, which explains his 34.6% shooting percentage, but Gilbert is a tough shot-maker. He’s a streaky shooter, but showed some consistency in conference play and drilled 36.5% of his threes in AAC games. But at just 6-foot, Gilbert struggles to finish inside and shot just 38.5% at the rim, per Synergy, this past season. Gilbert is a very skilled passer that routinely threads the needle, which led to a career-best 27.2% assist rate (sixth-best in
                  AAC) and career-worst 23.0% turnover rate this past season. His quickness has translated to an above-average steal rate his entire career and Gilbert rated as an “Excellent” defender on Synergy this past season. Since UConn is leaving the American, Gilbert would be eligible to play immediately at WSU.

Let's hope AG can stay healthy all season.

Comment

I am glad he is coming. But let's not act like he will be a massive upgrade. The stats are not great.

I agree. Here is his Offensive Rating (3pt shooting %)

2017 - 110.1 (22%)
                    2018 - 84.7 (23%)
                    2019 - 101.3 (34%)
                    2020 - 92.4 (32%)

His steal % was 2.3% (2020) and 2.6% (2019), I'm hoping that means he can play D. His turnover over rate is 23%. He is an average FT shoot (70% career).

For context, Burton and Sherfield ratings were for 2020

ORtg: 101.2 / 94.2
                    3pt: 38%/30%
                    FT: 66%/74%
                    TORate: 20.4%/20.7%
                    Stl %: 1.7 / 1.9

So overall he is generally the same quality player that WSU lost which is good, but WSU doesn't get the benefit of the progress/jump that you would expect of Sherfield and Burton had they stayed. Plus he has the unknown factor of can he stay healthy.

He is not going to be a "go to" guy, but if he accept his role then he can help WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He's an upgrade offensively. He's also considered elite defensively. Gilbert, Etienne and Dexter is a pretty damn good backcourt especially on the defensive end
                      I just do not think he will be an upgrade offensively over Burton - which is fine - as long he accepts his role and plays great defense.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

2017 - 110.1 (22%)
                        2018 - 84.7 (23%)
                        2019 - 101.3 (34%)
                        2020 - 92.4 (32%)

His steal % was 2.3% (2020) and 2.6% (2019), I'm hoping that means he can play D. His turnover over rate is 23%. He is an average FT shoot (70% career).

So overall he is generally the same quality player that WSU lost which is good, but WSU doesn't get the benefit of the progress/jump that you would expect of Sherfield and Burton had they stayed. Plus he has the unknown factor of can he stay healthy.

He is not going to be a "go to" guy, but if he accept his role then he can help WSU.
                        He will be the go to point guard. He has the experience and is very familiar with our conference foes. Hugh get for the Shocks! I would really like to see us get one of the juco point guards with 3 years left. They would be good backup and can learn the first semester.

Comment

I am so excited that AG is coming. He is a legitimate true point guard. He is a veteran playing point guard with experience playing against major competition. An outstanding upgrade on who we had a point guard last year. Regardless of his stats, his 3 point shooting is better than ES and GS. His number of assists is better than anybody we had running the point guard last year. He is a really good on ball defender. "Watch the freaking videos." He is a former 5 star McDonald's All American.

There is no doubt that injuries at UCONN has impacted his career there. The two areas I think he will need to improve on is his FG shooting percentage. From what I can tell this is the result of going to the cup and getting his shot blocked too many times. Everybody remembers that this was a problem that SHJ had his first year at WSU. But SHJ learned when he could go to the cup and when to take the pull up his senior year. SHJ did not have that problem his senior year and his fg percentage improved.He was hard to stop because he grew as a player. No doubt that AG with Coach M help will also learn this lesson and I am optimistic his FG % will improve.

The other thing he has to do is improve his free throw percentage. This can come from hard work this summer. Make the other team pay for fouling you. The shocks have had some great point guards that could shoot free throws. Clevin Hannah, Joe Ragland, Fred Van Vleet, and Landry Shamet. AG needs to follow their lead and improve.

A great day to be a shocker. Go shocks.

Comment

• Given that he is a senior PG who played in our conference I’m willing to take a flyer that he’ll be an upgrade. Having someone like him to teach his understudy (this gives 3G great flexibility is going after a promising prospect) ala Malcolm/Fred will be huge.

Comment

• If you guys seriously think Al will be no improvement or even a down grade, I am happy you will be sorely mistaken.

Gregg is the Guard Whisperer. Al has more untapped potential than any guard to play here for him.

Gregg is drooling.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

2017 - 110.1 (22%)
                                2018 - 84.7 (23%)
                                2019 - 101.3 (34%)
                                2020 - 92.4 (32%)

All he has to do is improve the "continuity" of what was a wretched offense. No explaining/debating to that concept is necessary.

I will say in the few games I watched of UConn that didn't involve WSU he looked pretty good. Stood out.

Comment

Working...
                                X