2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    Question. Is it permissible on Shockernet to feel Gregg needs to change without feeling that Gregg needs to go?
    We all need to look at ourselves in the mirror and make adjustments; I’ve been doing that for a long time and still need to make adjustments. Just ask my wife.

I’ve heard coach Marshall say he had to “tip-toe” more this year than he’s ever had to do in the past. The team was very young and they had a fragile “psyche”. I believe it was half time of the SMU game where he went into the locker room thinking he had to be careful with what he said (inject positive energy) and one of his assistants went “bonkers” 30 seconds before they returned for the second half.

I can’t speak about practice, but players have always said his practices are harder than playing a game. I need new glasses, but I thought he had ‘toned down’ this year. He’ll never be a coach for the weak hearted. He is what he is and I’m proud of the players he has brought to our program. I’m also thankful he doesn’t “play in the slop” when it comes to recruiting.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post

Ridicules post! In 3G we trust. Great coach he has earned our respect and loyalty!
      MEH, you never blindly follow. I would disagree he is a great coach. Mark Few is a great coach. GM was proven to be good coach in the MVC, who may be in over his head in the AAC. Maybe he will be able to grow into it, but it sure looking difficult seeing a path forward.

Wichita State is investing a lot of resources of the community in Gregg Marshall and is not getting a return on that investment now. The people who are paying his salary won’t continue if that is is the end product.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

MEH, you never blindly follow. I would disagree he is a great coach. Mark Few is a great coach. GM was proven to be good coach in the MVC, who may be in over his head in the AAC. Maybe he will be able to grow into it, but it sure looking difficult seeing a path forward.

Wichita State is investing a lot of resources of the community in Gregg Marshall and is not getting a return on that investment now. The people who are paying his salary won’t continue if that is is the end product.
        Not a great coach? Unbelievable you people. Very much laughable but everyone has an opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post

Not a great coach? Unbelievable you people. Very much laughable but everyone has an opinion.

Delete yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

When you word it that unequivocally, I disagree.

If he cleaned up the messiness and could generate the great play closer to 75-80% of the time, he would have been a pretty great player. Dude was just a sophomore. We saw the improvement he made from his Freshman year to (the first part of) this year.

I have a feeling time will tell. I won't be surprised if he ends up a total bust wherever he lands, but I also won't be surprised if he goes full baller.
            29% career 3pt. At some point as SG you have to be a maker to ever be considered as an all time great.

Let me put it this way. If I were a coach (not at WSU) and could choose between ES and AR I'd take the latter. ES just isn't special (and neither is AR).

Comment

• Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post

Then give us your opinion rather than drivel.

Comment

• Just think about it....

This season WSU had:
                - a team with less overall talent than conference opponents.
                - a team with 90+% 1st or 2nd year players in college
                - a team with a lot of turmoil

Marshall STILL guides this team, likely, in the right side of the NCAA bubble. That doesn’t happen by accident.

He’s not perfect, but he is a GREAT coach.
                Last edited by Shock Top; March 14, 2020, 12:47 PM.
                The Assman

Comment

• I’m old enough to remember last year when many on Shockernet were blaming our early season struggles on Marshall because he had become too soft, too nice to the players, etc.

Comment

• Bill Snyder, Gene Stephenson, Gregg Marshall..........all great hires. The ending for the first two was highly unpleasant and so will the ending for the third. No idea how far away it is, but when a coach becomes bigger than the program, and is accountable to no one. lots of problems follow. Coach needs to make some adjustments and I'm not sure that he can.

Comment

• Hey, my first post - so be nice and understanding. I have read Shockernet for many years and all the information has been great. I for one appreciate what Most everyone brings to the table. I have been a Shocker fan since I was 8 years old (long time ago). When they lose, I have a bad day. When they win, it's a great day. But I would like to add my 2 cents. It;s only my opinion.

1) Lot of bashing on our coach ( I think has done a masterful job). Does that mean he doesn't rub me the wrong way sometimes -- yes. But I do think he is a "great coach".

A) It was mentioned that he "lost control in Canada". I agree, but the fouls were getting out of control and he had a player who about had his head torn off with no foul call. If I remember correctly that player received a concussion. I would have been "crazy too"

B) It was mentioned that Mark Few is a great coach - I don't disagree, but a) he is in a conference they dominate each year - do you think Gonzaga would have the same record in the AAC - I don't think so!

2) I agree with a lot of the other Shockernetters about the 5 players leaving the program = again my opinion only

Comment

• DIdn;t finish - messed up will finish after while

Comment

• People throw "great coach" as if to say pass the butter. Marshall still has time to grow into a great coach, but I prefer to save great for...well...great.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            Bill Snyder, Gene Stephenson, Gregg Marshall..........all great hires. The ending for the first two was highly unpleasant and so will the ending for the third. No idea how far away it is, but when a coach becomes bigger than the program, and is accountable to no one. lots of problems follow. Coach needs to make some adjustments and I'm not sure that he can.
                            I think the budding relationship with HCEW will help them both.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Oh yea I am known for blindly following... yea right. He won 23 games with a very very young team. He recruits well and is known a a tough coach, which is liked by NBA scouts. His kids graduate and for the most part stay out of trouble. I don't live Wichita but I think he is well liked in the community.
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• There is a new parenting style (replacing helicopter parents) called snow plow parents. These parents attempt to remove all obstacles for their children. I believe we are seeing some of the effects of this. And will continue to see this more frequently. Just ask any school teacher.

Marshall is the type of coach who analyzes and readjusts. He will do this personally also. We don't want a Mangino situation.

The departure of a couple of key assistants has also affected the program. Hopefully the assistant ranks will stabilize. I believe Kellen's presence helps.

Sad to lose kids from the program but it appears this is an increasing trend for lots of schools.

All that said...Marshall and his assistants are great recruiters. There will be great new additions.

Comment

Working...
                                X