No announcement yet.

2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought Stevenson was a decent D1 player for sure.

But his on-court play was cringe inducing right around the time of the infamous UConn game, coinciding with said player intentionally fouling players on breakaways when it was uncalled for, other than that it was the man who was guarding him racing the other way for an easy deuce, after he had just chucked a one-bounce/step to the side/Harden 3. Happened several games in a row. Anyone else besides GGG notice those uncalled for hacks?

I'll bet he's a big Harden fan.

Comment

• We as fans need to remember that these young men come from all over the country and in most cases don’t know each other well. Sometimes personalities clash and things don’t work out. We all knew that some sort of locker room problem was happening and hopefully the next set of recruits can figure it out. Coach can sometimes irritate all of us but he is OUR coach so let’s put in our big boy pants and cheer for our team and our players to succeed. If someone doesn’t want to be a part of that I say goodbye and good luck.

Comment

• Traveling, but heard a player left.

Seriously, I have felt for some time that ES was a cancer on this team, destroying it from the inside out. Perhaps I won't be quite as chastised be the ES lovers, as I have been for several weeks for having this opinion.

Hopefully, Gordon leaving means JB, the redshirt is looking really good in practice.

NF, I hoped wouldn't leave, but can understand why he would want to.

JB came out of left field. Perhaps with his Military school background he was the player most disgruntled by the DD in season vacation.
        Perhaps we can attempt to re recruit him.

The new transfer rule is going to make this kink of exodus much more common in college basketball. The other side of it is a lot of players will also be available.

If this is it and the team that is left is content, then we can recover from this quickly. If more leave....

Comment

• Really don't understand the JB move... He led the team in minutes and was IMO our second best player. He was developing in to our go to guy. Damn. All the others make sense in some facet.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Shockernet: This new generation of kids can’t handle tough coaching.

Also Shockernet: The players are upset that Marshall was too understanding with Sherfield and Dennis.
            Stunning? A difference of opinion on a message board. Now if it the same poster you might have a point.

Comment

• Key going forward is balance. When you get too many freshmen in 1 class, players get upset at playing time of the other freshmen. Would like to see them go at least half grad transfer/Juco this offseason.

Comment

• Erik had the kind of swagger I always loved. The problem is that swagger only really works when you're an absolute baller. And Stevenson was an absolute baller only about 1/2 of the time.

The other half of the time... well, it's hard to take swagger seriously when it comes with a brick or a turnover called in on a hotline to the other team. If he patched that last half up, he could have been one of the all time greats.

But it appears his success came in spite of his relationship with coach, and not because of it. So it was unlikely he was ever going to improve here. And I don't mean that really as a dig at either coach or Erik, it just is what it is and it's best he moved on.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I had not been checking in much since the season shut down. Then this. ES was not a surprise. I may have been more surprised if he had stayed. But I guess the sign posts were there as we travelled through the season. Not a very good year for Shocker sports in general outside of new Hope for the baseball team. Not real sure where to place the blame for this. But in any case I would think some serious introspection by the coaching staff needs to happen. Whether or not their ego will allow that to happen I don't know.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 14, 2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

It's something I feel like I've picked up on as a fan.

Erik's problem is that a lot of his mistakes were BIG mistakes, though. Even so, we can all tell there's something that makes this team not click at times. You have to wonder how a team that we know can shoot the ball pretty well when they are "on" can just do nothing but hit bricks some games. Playing out of fear of making a mistake probably makes you play a lot worse than playing for fun or to score or whatever.

I think our biggest problem is that we had 3 or 4 players who were all essentially the same. 1A starts messing up, yank him for 1B.
                    Erik's problem is his mistakes were compounding mistakes. Once he made one, he normally made 2 or 3 more very quickly afterwards because he was trying to make up for the first one.

He was very streaky... Not just in shooting, but in good and bad play. You had to leave him in when he was on and pull him fast when he wasn't.

That's not to say that Marshall isnt too quick to pull players... But with ES that's probably the right move. I'm more concerned with JB leaving. He really steadied this team towards the end. It's also concerning that Shaq called Marshall out basically and then Darryl Willis and Frankamp have all gotten in on agreeing with him. Though it's kinda odd coming from 3 guys who are now playing pro ball.. 2 of them probably owe most of that to Marshall and WSU.

Comment

• Not encouraged by the number of transfers the past couple of years, and other things Ive seen and heard (multiple former players who graduated and transferred expressing discontent with the coaching staff, no cohesiveness the past 2-3 years, etc).

Some, but not all of this has to fall on Marshall. He is what he is, and his approach has worked for years. However, it is becoming clear that whatever he is doing has this program on a concerning trajectory. Individual players certainly shoulder some of the blame by their attitudes and actions, but if we have any additional transfers and have to "start over" again, I am concerned about our ability to recover, and will have my trust in this coaching staff on life support.

Comment

• Some on here are over-inflating Erik's talent level. He was never under any circumstances going to be an all-time Shocker great.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

I'm guessing ES is the transferring player, and DD, MU, and IPB maybe are the other 3.

What do I win?
                          I think whoever leaves/stays/whatever...we all lose until HCGM fills the cupboard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            There was a player who left the court during a game and ended up in the stands eating a hot dog in the second half. That happened during the Mike Cohen debacle during the worst decade in the history of WSU basketball.

Jamie Arnold. Do I win?

Comment

• I thought that was Jamie Arnold during Randy’s tenure. I was at that game.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Jamie Arnold. Do I win?
                                And it wasn't Cohen, but Randy Smithson's 1st season. I believe Jamie played overseas pro ball for about 14 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X