Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Drake Bulldogs

Looking ahead to the Valley season.

Drake's success so far is surprising. Josh Young is a very good player but he's getting help. Leonard Houston must be playing out his Wazuu. These two plus Cox are shooting right at 47% from 3.

Iowa and Iowa State are down this year. Drake has a good win against Duquense and a tough close loss to St. Mary's on the road. I don't see them getting their average of 11 steals against WSU unless MB gets in foul trouble. We can make them pay for their press with our passing game (cut the dribbling).

Re: 2008 Drake Bulldogs

Originally posted by shockball

Drake's success so far is surprising. Josh Young is a very good player but he's getting help. Leonard Houston must be playing out his Wazuu. These two plus Cox are shooting right at 47% from 3.

Iowa and Iowa State are down this year. Drake has a good win against Duquense and a tough close loss to St. Mary's on the road. I don't see them getting their average of 11 steals against WSU unless MB gets in foul trouble. We can make them pay for their press with our passing game (cut the dribbling).
    K. Korver is 20-71 for .282 from 3pt range. How in the world does a Korver shoot that bad from out there?
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071224/SPORTS020403/712240332/1097/SPORTS0204
      This Drake team reminds me of the Shockers in Turgeon's third year. Having a winning record the year before and a feeling that things are on the upswing.... I think we all know how they as fans are feeling, and what their expectations are. Hopefully we go out and take care of our business on Saturday night.

Comment

Drake has some very nice wins and have been raising some eyebrows. Going 9-1 is one thing. However, walking through the shadow of the Valley Of Death is quite another thing. The Valley seems to have as much parity going in this year than I remember from recent years. The teams that can take care of business at home and then squeak out some tough road wins will prevail. It's all up for grabs. Let's get this party started.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Re: 2008 Drake Bulldogs

Originally posted by wu_shizzle

K. Korver is 20-71 for .282 from 3pt range. How in the world does a Korver shoot that bad from out there?
          This Korver is a mediocre player at best.

Comment

I am in now way, downplaying Drake's season so far, but I have discovered, what I thought was, an interesting statistic when comparing their 9-1 record and our 7-4 record.

Drake's 9 wins have come against teams that have a combined 46-63 (.422) record while our 7 wins have come against teams that have a combined 45-33 (.577) record.

I just thought that this was interesting comparison of our relative strengths of schedule so far to date. The latest USA Today Power Rankings has the Shockers at 103 while Drake is at 142.

:wsu_posters: :poster_cooz:
            "Everyone has their own level of comfort, I elected to stay. I sleep well, love where I am, and have a great level of support."
            --Head Coach Gregg Marshall

Comment

Do you have link to that?

links -

Here is the power rankings used by the NCAA. It has Drake at #25 and Wichita State at #124

College basketball picks and predictions, plus NCAA basketball odds, stats, power rankings, strength of schedule, SOS, standings and projections.

------------------------------------------------------------
              here is another .. rpi forecast, they have Drake at #29 and Wichita at #98

RPI Forecasts and Live NCAA RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) Updates - Up to the Minute, Free

-------------------------------------------------------------
              Actually I just looked up USA Today Power Rankings, they are done by Jeff Sargarin. It say's Drake is ranked at #27 and Wichita #108. Maybe there is a different ranking that I can't find but out of all of them .. real time ... Ken Pomroy, etc ... they all have Drake way ahead of Wichita.

That said, I'm not being cocky .. I don't care if it's Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina Central .. beating the Shockers on their home court is big time deal.
              Good Luck and may the best team win.

FYI ... UAB is ranked higher than the Shockers at #100 and LSU is at #117.[/url]

Comment

Here is the link where I found Drake to be at 142 while the Shockers are at 103. I know it's not what the NCAA looks at but it is just a convenient place for me to look at all Division 1 teams.

Sorry to get you all riled up McBull, I didn't intend my post to do that to any Bulldog fans, I was merely just comparing the teams that both of our teams have played so far and their comparative records.

:wsu_posters:
                "Everyone has their own level of comfort, I elected to stay. I sleep well, love where I am, and have a great level of support."

Comment

Originally posted by Shockair
                  I am in now way, downplaying Drake's season so far, but I have discovered, what I thought was, an interesting statistic when comparing their 9-1 record and our 7-4 record.

Drake's 9 wins have come against teams that have a combined 46-63 (.422) record while our 7 wins have come against teams that have a combined 45-33 (.577) record.

I just thought that this was interesting comparison of our relative strengths of schedule so far to date. The latest USA Today Power Rankings has the Shockers at 103 while Drake is at 142.
                  I'm guessing that these rankings (103 vs 142) are strength of schedule ratings, and not the ratings of WSU and DU.

Drake's schedule has been easy, intentionally. After losing 4 starters off a 6-12 MVC team, the coaches wanted to ease the new guys into things. Despite the ease of the schedule, I don't think anybody expected the Bulldogs to be 9-1 at this point.

I don't think any Drake fans are excited about who Drake has been beating, it's the way they've been beating teams that has DU fans pumped up.

I'll be in Wichita for the game on Saturday...first time to Wichita for me. Look forward to seeing some of you down there.

Comment

Here are the various predictors:

RPI Forecast: 37% Chance of WSU winning (Drake by 4 pts)
                    Pomeroy: 24% chance of WSU winning (Drake by 6 pts)

Comment

Originally posted by DUBulldog
                      I'm guessing that these rankings (103 vs 142) are strength of schedule ratings, and not the ratings of WSU and DU.
                      Actually, they are. This is at the bottom of the linked page:

Power Rating: Covers.com's Power Ratings compute offensive and defensive statistics into one number for each team, while accounting for factors like recent performances and strength of schedule. Power Ratings can be used as a baseline for relative spread index to compare current or future match-ups between two teams (i.e. Team A has a power rating of -4 while Team B has a rating of 3. The Relative spread would be -7). The relative spread does not account for non-statistical factors like home-field advantage, recent injuries, game time decisions, rivalries, publicity, and weather.

Strength of Schedule: Covers.com determines strength of schedule by compiling the win/ loss records and the current Power Ratings of a team's opponents. The strength of schedule includes each week played as well as the current match-up. The greater the number, the more difficult a schedule that team has. (For example, a rating of 1.100 shows a much tougher schedule than .450).
                      All the Strength of Schedule ratings are 0.000.

Never heard of Covers.com. Gambling odds makers?

Comment

Sorry to get you all riled up McBull, I didn't intend my post to do that to any Bulldog fans,
                        I'm sorry shockfairy .. I didn't think I came across as riled up and I hope I didn't ruin your day .. ya know.. like a bill collector calling or anything like that. I just thought the way you worded your post was a bit out of context. Sorry if I misinterepted your original post but when you posted, "The latest USA Today Power Rankings has the Shockers at 103 while Drake is at 142." .. I thought that was misleading because overall it is not the truth. I'm sure you'll agree with that, right?

Comment

McBull,

You didn't ruin my day, although it sounds like I ruined yours but there should not have been anything taken out of context when I posted the fact that the latest USA Today Power Rankings showed the Shockers to be at 103 and your beloved Bulldogs at 142 because that is what it said. Here is the link again, if you need it. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list to see how they come up with the numbers.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Originally posted by McBulldog
                            Sorry to get you all riled up McBull, I didn't intend my post to do that to any Bulldog fans,
                            I'm sorry shockfairy .. I didn't think I came across as riled up and I hope I didn't ruin your day .. ya know.. like a bill collector calling or anything like that. I just thought the way you worded your post was a bit out of context. Sorry if I misinterepted your original post but when you posted, "The latest USA Today Power Rankings has the Shockers at 103 while Drake is at 142." .. I thought that was misleading because overall it is not the truth. I'm sure you'll agree with that, right?
                            ShockFairy? Now McBull ....

Comment

Working...
                            X