Grant Sherfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Triticum View Post

Is it time for the mods to move this over to the Cone of Shame thread yet?
    Offer counter arguments to the points I made if you think this is "shameful" rather than spewing mindless tripe from the Marshall cool aid you and others continue to drink. "Oh Marshall is wonderful and must be blindly supported because he has coached the Shockers to a level where he can beat mediocre mid-tier teams."

Do you think Kelvin Sampson loses sleep worrying about playing a Marshall coached team?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
      I know this post will not be popular. Personally, I have had my fill of Marshall as Head Coach; I would prefer he retire at the end of this season. Poorly managed, needless dramas each season; his post game interviews are the same pablum with no real insight into what happened in the game (other than recitation of the printed sheet of game statistics provided to him by Mike Kennedy) and his Monday night radio show with Kennedy is not worth the time to find it on the internet. Reminds me of Bobby Knight at Indiana, a coach who reached the Zenith of his career and then entered a free fall until the University terminated him.

Three coaches I hope Boatright has on speed dial are Chris Jans (NMSU), Steve Forbes (ETSU) and Bob Richey (Furman). IMO any of the three would be an excellent replacement for Marshall at less than a third of the current annual salary paid to Marshall.

Listen to and read what Coach Wedge offers if you want to witness a coach engaged in explaining what his team/players are doing and how he plans to make them better. Attached link was conducted in June 2019 with more recent video available.

Perfect trolling
      look at all these responses

oh wait....you are serious?

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
        Man, if coach retires, maybe we can get really lucky--I mean, like once in a generation lucky--and get a guy like Gregg Marshall to coach here.
        How about the Shockers getting really lucky by hiring a once in a lifetime coach like ...... ....... rather than a whiny, combative, egotistical coach like Marshall? After all, WSU has demonstrated a willingness to pay top dollar and Shocker fans will attend home/away games.

Comment

• Hasn’t played a minute tonight.

Where there is smoke....
          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

Perfect trolling
            look at all these responses

oh wait....you are serious?
            Yes, I am a serious 60 year fan of Shocker basketball.

Comment

I posted earlier that a change of scenery could be good for all parties. I was talking about the coach. I'm a long way away from your position, but just like WSU has improved after Turgeon and Turgeon is having success at Maryland neither side can argue that a change wasn't best for everyone.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Is there a link for that info? The only think I've seen is on here where someone said they heard he quit and then changed his mind. The only direct thing I've seen was someone telling Taylor Eldridge on twitter about rumors that Sherfield quit the team. Taylor's response was that he remains on the team.

I'm not saying none of this didn't happen. Right now there isn't a written source giving all the details.
                Logged 0 minutes tonight.

Is that confirmation enough for ya?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

So you remember what happened within a couple of years after Ralph Miller was chased off by Shocker fans who no longer thought our Top 10-50 Ranked basketball program was good enough for them. After they chased him off, our program tanked down to a program at best on the level of Temple and more often were on the level of Tulane or ECU for 17 years and then we hit the Tulane level after 8 Top 50 years for another 15-20 years. Be careful for what you and Bobb wish for.

Comment

Thanks Top for the support; as Doc posted on the baseball thread "I'll try to make this the only time I address this on the board, but I realize a few posters here don't understand my support of baseball in the past. That's fine. Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one."

IMO everything about Marshall is now stale and trending downward; importantly, IMO he has not replaced Ralph Miller as the best Shocker coach.

Marshall made his reputation coaching in the Valley of Mediocrity while Ralph coached the Shockers in the Valley of Death. I don't want to dwell on it but review Marshall's success for the three seasons he has coached in the AAC (a much better conference than the Valley of Mediocrity but not on par with the Valley of Death). His first season the Shocker roster was loaded, many preseason Top Ten poll rankings and Shockernetters with visions of a Natty. Last season was disappointing and this season looked great until conference play began.

The three coaches I identified I believe would jump at the chance to coach the Shockers and all three would be successful. But they are not my first choice should Marshall take his over combative, inflated ego and retire.
                    Nothing like digging the hole deeper...

NCAAs are a crapshoot. We were a Top 10 team in 2018 all year and were a Frankamp jumper away from winning the conference. Well we lost a couple key guards last year for various reasons. We managed to get to the NIT semis with about 10% of our minutes returning. And now we’re in 4th place and on the cusp of another tournament bid with another slew of underclassmen.

I think you need to take some time off.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So you remember what happened within a couple of years after Ralph Miller was chased off by Shocker fans who no longer thought our Top 10-50 Ranked basketball program was good enough for them. After they chased him off, our program tanked down to a program at best on the level of Temple and more often were on the level of Tulane or ECU for 17 years and then we hit the Tulane level after 8 Top 50 years for another 15-20 years. Be careful for what you and Bobb wish for.
                      Ralph Miller was chased off by fans. Care to elaborate?

Comment

• There was no social media then. But things like For Sale Signs being put in his lawn after the team lost an Elite 8 game that fans thought they should have won, harassing phone calls, etc.

Comment

• As a 50 year Shocker fan the 90s and Coach Thompson are still etched in my brain I think some of you need to get some perspective. Gregg Marshall is not perfect however neither are any other coaches including the leader of the Chicken Hawks... just ask the FBI.

Comment

• Calling for the head of the winningest coach in program history, in the middle of a 21-8 season, with one senior on the team. A team that still controls its own destiny for an at large bid going into March. After a run of 7 straight NCAA's, and then a NIT final 4, with two returners? LOL. Not saying the last month hasn't been disappointing but this is ridiculous.

Because he has an ego? Because he can be short in interviews? If that's the standard, Bill Belichick would have been fired in like 2005.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                              Because he has an ego? Because he can be short in interviews? If that's the standard, Bill Belichick would have been fired in like 2005.
                              I would suspect this is it.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Awesome post, Awesome. 76 is a turd in the punch bowl !

Comment

Working...
                                X