No announcement yet.

Wichita State At Cincy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've seen the home run Hail Mary pass be successful with 0.9 left on the clock. We were on the losing end of that one. I've also seen the throw it in to the hot hand and let that guy dribble to a shooting spot and hit it with 3.3 left on the clock when the pass was inbounded.

I am confident Marshall will learn how to coach and recruit "at this level".

Remember when those who didn't support WSU were asking what Marshall would do after VanVleet and Baker graduated? The answer is not encouraging.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• cincinatti didn't play great- the game was there to be had. i thought marshall would have the team ready to seize the day. but, no...

Comment

• I don't expect any team to play perfect, much less a team as young as ours. I can come to grips with missing shots.....I hate it, but can accept a team with 10 underclassman losing to Cincinnati in Cincinnati.

However, what I need an explanation on is that play call with 3.5 seconds left. That play was never going to work. 2 weeks prior, Tulsa showed us exactly what is possible with 3.3 seconds left. There was no reason to throw some hail marry as if there was 1 second on the clock.

why was that sh!t play was drawn up? Did a player not execute something properly? Did the coach and staff misread the scoreboard and think there was 1.5 seconds left? I mean seriously, what the #### was that?

If that really was the play that was drawn up is there not an assistant that has the raisins to step up and say something like, "Gregg, we have time!"

I just woke up and haven't checked the KC Eagle....has any explanation been given?
        Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; February 24, 2020, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• I agree with this...

Comment

• Do the coaches practice during the week too? If they don't, they need to. Do they not run any scenarios in a close game with under 30 seconds left? The 3.5 play was atrocious. Like high school bad. What's our record in one possession games this year?

Our offense is still terrible. Glad the "come together, let it all out" moment of a couple weeks ago was able to push things forward. It lasted a game and we're back to one-on-one iso ball with little attempt to pass and just stand around and dribble. Sure it doesn't help that we're one of the worst shooting teams in the nation (even inside 2pt range). I don't really understand how a team can miss so many point blank shots unless they aren't really as talented as we think they are. Drilling uncontested shots in practice is really meaningless if it doesn't translate to the big stage. I'm pretty sure every team in the country shoots 70% in practice during the week. I think Entienne is underutilized and Sherfield is overutilized. Dennis gets blanketed but we have to find him more too. The opponent defensive gameplan is to let Stevenson shoot 24 footers and Burton to overpentrate and either get it stuffed at the rim or turn the ball over. And we play into their hands every game. Absolutely ZERO adjustments ever.

This team is what it is. A good NIT team. It's disappointing that's how it's gonna go 2 years in a row but the soft non-con with nothing but home games distorted everyone's view on how this season was gonna play out (mine included). It masked a lot of our offensive deficiencies and lack of flow. Hell, this even showed up in the Texas Southern game in November but they were so bad that we snuck out with a W. Anyway, anybody that thinks we're getting in with a resume that includes ONE win over a projected tournament team (OU, and they're fading fast) is setting themselves up for major disappointment. I don't even think 4-0 gets us in unless something drastically happens to the teams around us on the bubble. We're gonna have to beat Houston or Cincy in Ft. Worth or we're NITing for the 2nd year in a row.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• 4-0 gets us in, which will include decent wins at Memphis and SMU. This hopeful excuse, however, sounds like a broken record. We’re running out of opportunities to punch our ticket.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Do the coaches practice during the week too? If they don't, they need to. Do they not run any scenarios in a close game with under 30 seconds left? The 3.5 play was atrocious. Like high school bad. What's our record in one possession games this year?

Our offense is still terrible. Glad the "come together, let it all out" moment of a couple weeks ago was able to push things forward. It lasted a game and we're back to one-on-one iso ball with little attempt to pass and just stand around and dribble. Sure it doesn't help that we're one of the worst shooting teams in the nation (even inside 2pt range). I don't really understand how a team can miss so many point blank shots unless they aren't really as talented as we think they are. Drilling uncontested shots in practice is really meaningless if it doesn't translate to the big stage. I'm pretty sure every team in the country shoots 70% in practice during the week. I think Entienne is underutilized and Sherfield is overutilized. Dennis gets blanketed but we have to find him more too. The opponent defensive gameplan is to let Stevenson shoot 24 footers and Burton to overpentrate and either get it stuffed at the rim or turn the ball over. And we play into their hands every game. Absolutely ZERO adjustments ever.

This team is what it is. A good NIT team. It's disappointing that's how it's gonna go 2 years in a row but the soft non-con with nothing but home games distorted everyone's view on how this season was gonna play out (mine included). It masked a lot of our offensive deficiencies and lack of flow. Hell, this even showed up in the Texas Southern game in November but they were so bad that we snuck out with a W. Anyway, anybody that thinks we're getting in with a resume that includes ONE win over a projected tournament team (OU, and they're fading fast) is setting themselves up for major disappointment. I don't even think 4-0 gets us in unless something drastically happens to the teams around us on the bubble. We're gonna have to beat Houston or Cincy in Ft. Worth or we're NITing for the 2nd year in a row.
                Every projection that has come out today has WSU in the field. Most not even in the last four in. Glad to know Fever has ran the numbers and come to a different conclusion than most people that do this for a living. I guess you should do bracketology full-time since you know a lot more than they do.

Look, perhaps the Shockers won't make the tournament, it is obviously possible. But this spoiled-ass point of view is just as dead wrong as anyone that says we are definitely in, as well.

I also love how we ***** about missing wide open shots, but then also ***** about the offense not creating good looks. Which one is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Every projection that has come out today has WSU in the field. Most not even in the last four in. Glad to know Fever has ran the numbers and come to a different conclusion than most people that do this for a living. I guess you should do bracketology full-time since you know a lot more than they do.

Look, perhaps the Shockers won't make the tournament, it is obviously possible. But this spoiled-ass point of view is just as dead wrong as anyone that says we are definitely in, as well.

I also love how we ***** about missing wide open shots, but then also ***** about the offense not creating good looks. Which one is it?
                  What did you think about that play that was drawn up with 3.5 seconds left?

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

What did you think about that play that was drawn up with 3.5 seconds left?
                    It was awful. Makes no sense and just like everyone else, cannot figure out why it was drawn up the way it was. I would think WSU would practice such situations more often.

I also think the chances of us scoring there are probably > 5% anyway, so I have a hard time getting super riled up about it. But I agree with most of the complaining on that - it was stupid.

Comment

• Probably going on a 5-0 run, we stay in

Comment

• It was a game we really didn't expect to win, but as it turned out, should have won, and a win there probably would have cemented our place in the dance.

Comment

• Losing at Cincinnati isn’t likely to drop WSU out of the projected NCAA Tourna

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• GGG post game on radio "someone has to step up and hit a shot. If you are going to shoot the 3, you have to make the 3. But we have to find someone to make a shot. We shot what, 27% from 3, that's not going to do it"

Really? That's how you are going to open your post game radio comments after you literally did zero coaching the last 3mins of the game? For 37mins you watched your team miss wide open 3 after wide open 3. Yet here it is, ~3min to go, down by 2 on consecutive possessions....result: Missed 3pt shots both times. Fast forward and the game is tied at 60 on consecutive possessions.... result: Same thing, no offensive plays ran to get anything at or going to the rim. Missed 3s and game lost. That said, the couple times we went towards the rim, we missed the layup, but at least you had a chance. and then there's 3.5sec.... man....I'm not a $3mil coach, but.... Stevenson & Etienne cross screening for each other just above the FT line, to get a shooter moving the right direction.... you know, like most coaches do it..... and how Tulsa did it... But instead you chose to once again throw your players under the bus. Great coaching. Starting to think its not the players egos getting in the way.

Down the stretch just dictate your players not shoot 3s unless your name is Tyson. There was no need to keep trying to get the 3 when your team cannot shoot the 3. Drive it, maybe you get fouled (doubtful), maybe you get an easy dump off. But for the love of basketball, COACH YOUR TEAM. They need you. I did come away with 1 positive..... he realized 52 wasn't getting it done and put him where he needs to be until he can prove otherwise.
                            -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

He blew somesimple concepts on offense after the nice stretch that lead to turnovers. I don’t know if he gets tired or just shuts off for a minute, but there was at least one real head scratcher.
                              Don't disagree, but we have plenty of players who do that. Mitt does it and, he's jerked, maybe never to be seen again. That's a head scratcher to me.
                              "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Sure am glad we have GM as our coach instead of all these brilliant basketball minds who have never won a D1 game
                                coaching or probably never having played any competitive basketball themselves. How many D1 wins does GM have?
                                Any of you negative posters have any? AND he runs a clean program many of us are very proud of. I am disgusted at
                                the Cincy thread and what I have read but you fair weather fans just keep posting your depressing views.
                                Last edited by asiseeit; February 24, 2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X