Wichita State vs South Florida Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

Yes, and making the first option the worst option makes it not a great option.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ed-it-forever/

I'm just the messenger, but here are the stats. Yes, there is nuance, but statistically speaking, the jump shot is by far the worst shot you can take in basketball. I'd argue that there is never a good time to draw up a play for a jump shot, but it would be in vain, because you people would tell me about this one guy this one time that did this one thing...

We're all friends here... Go Shox!
    i don’t know what the first options are.

So layups and dunks go much more often than jump shots? Damn, learn something new everyday. lol

Than God for FiveThirtyEight

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

So layups and dunks go much more often than jump shots? Damn, learn something new everyday. lol

It's more of a points per shot POV rather than "what goes in more than the other..."

IIRC, the best shot you can take in basketball is the corner-three. Doesn't mean that every play you draw up should be corner-threes, of course....

Comment

I'm just the messenger, but here are the stats. Yes, there is nuance, but statistically speaking, the jump shot is by far the worst shot you can take in basketball. I'd argue that there is never a good time to draw up a play for a jump shot, but it would be in vain, because you people would tell me about this one guy this one time that did this one thing...

The link is terrific stuff.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

If you make 35% of your twos and 35% of your threes, why would you draw up a play ending in a two?
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Don’t remember saying I would.

Yes the article is pretty cool but we already knew that didn’t we? The coach at Marshall bought into that philosophy big time and beat us a couple years back. His brother, coach of the Rockets also buys into that heavily, although he has accommodated the mid range shot this year due to Westbrook

D'Antoni — "The best shot in basketball is the corner 3. The next best shot in basketball is any other 3”
            Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; February 18, 2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

This has been promoted pretty well the last few days and coach Marshall and Mike Kennedy discussed it Monday night. Coach said the idea caught him at the right time with his mother and Elizabeth King (WSU Foundation CEO) both currently fighting breast cancer. They called Under Armour and they were ‘all in’ with the idea and provided the pink uniforms and even pink shoes... they will auction off the uniforms and shoes at some point with all proceeds going to cancer research.

This literally warms my heart and is so much more important than basketball. Cancer affects us all.

Kudos to everyone who played a part in this. Not a big fan of pink, but those uniforms are sharp.

https://twitter.com/goshockersmbb/st...536189952?s=21

Guess I missed this...

https://twitter.com/goshockersmbb/st...699342848?s=21
              Last edited by WstateU; February 18, 2020, 10:04 PM.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Very nice! That's everything awesome! 100%!!!!!

GO SHOCKS!!!!!
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I think Bush making boobs is a little much.

Comment

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ed-it-forever/

Interesting stuff. I would make a caveat however. It applies to the NBA, the best of the best. Where every team should be loaded with quality 3 point shooters as well as loaded with athletic inside big men that could make a smaller player question shooting a midrange 2 pointer. Also, in the NBA (and even college ball) there is the area where shooting the long range 2 is about as difficult (or more so, because of practice habits) than taking the 3 point shot which is worth more.

In college ball, pulling up for a short to medium 2 pointer can be smarter than forcing an ill-advised inside shot that is well covered. Also, because it's college ball, using the short to medium 2 pointer as an option makes the less experienced (college ball again) defense question how to defend someone. Kind of a pick your poison situation for the defender.

Comment

Marshall's Dan D'antoni who embraces and preaches the philosophy of the above article says throwing the ball into the post, where your C or PF make a post move over a defender is .78. I found that interesting. I wonder what JE is on post ups?

FYI - Dan D'antoni team this year is 13-14. In their defense, it probably doesn't help that Elmore graduated (the guy who killed us) who could make 3's consistently from 30 feet.
                      Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; February 19, 2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Interesting stuff. I would make a caveat however. It applies to the NBA, the best of the best. Where every team should be loaded with quality 3 point shooters as well as loaded with athletic inside big men that could make a smaller player question shooting a midrange 2 pointer. Also, in the NBA (and even college ball) there is the area where shooting the long range 2 is about as difficult (or more so, because of practice habits) than taking the 3 point shot which is worth more.

In college ball, pulling up for a short to medium 2 pointer can be smarter than forcing an ill-advised inside shot that is well covered. Also, because it's college ball, using the short to medium 2 pointer as an option makes the less experienced (college ball again) defense question how to defend someone. Kind of a pick your poison situation for the defender.
                        Yep. And in college I think there is a wider range of strengths and weaknesses with the talent being really spread out and still developing and improving. So a player has to consider his own skillset. I guarantee you that Aaron Ellis was much better off taking a long, long two over a three. A few inches made a huge difference. He needed a toe touching that 3-point line.

Comment

Line Movements for Shockers vs Bulls provided by VegasInsider.com, along with more ncaab information for your sports gaming and betting needs.

Shockers opened as 10.0 favorites.

Comment

A win will really help the chase for a high seed in the AAC tourney. With a win, WSU ties SMU for 4th place in the American and will be 1.5 GB for 2nd place.

Houston 11-3
                            Cincinnati 10-4, 1 GB
                            Tulsa 9-4, 1.5 GB
                            SMU 8-5, 2.5 GB
                            Wichita State 7-5, 3 GB
                            Memphis 7-6, 3.5 GB

Comment

SMU @ Tulsa and WSU @ Cincy are 2 huge games this weekend that will help shake out the standings, or further tighten them up.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
                                A win will really help the chase for a high seed in the AAC tourney. With a win, WSU ties SMU for 4th place in the American and will be 1.5 GB for 2nd place.

Houston 11-3
                                Cincinnati 10-4, 1 GB
                                Tulsa 9-4, 1.5 GB
                                SMU 8-5, 2.5 GB
                                Wichita State 7-5, 3 GB
                                Memphis 7-6, 3.5 GB
                                We will have a chance to give every team on that list other than Houston another loss. Cincinnati still plays @Houston so that's likely a loss for them. We would need Tulsa to drop another as they would have the tie breaker with us due to them having a better record with Houston.
                                Last edited by Stickboy46; February 20, 2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X