Tyson Etienne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

He went to Russia prior to giving it up. His shooting in NewYork wasn't what they were looking for. But I don't doubt that his style of play wore down his body.
    He tore up his shoulder in New York. Iirc, he had hip surgery after playing in Russia.

EDIT: he started 14 and played in 96. 24 and 33% from deep. He was the 6th man and coach’s pet. Jeff Hornacek iirc. When Jeff was fired the new coach thought he was going to cut Ron until he started coaching him.
    Last edited by shock; June 11, 2021, 04:55 PM.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Seems that Etienne has improved his ability to drive to the basket.

Etienne.jpg

Comment

• I am eager to see TE playing some more point guard.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
          Seems that Etienne has improved his ability to drive to the basket.

Etienne.jpg
          Tyson's drive to the basket game is a real mixed bag.

On the one hand, he needs to get a lot more efficient at scoring from inside of 3 point range. He only shot .342 from 2 point range last season (as opposed to .392 from 3 point range). On the other hand, he was really good at drawing fouls when he did penetrate. He averaged just over 5 free throw attempts per game last year. To put that into perspective, neither Fred nor Ron ever averaged 5 free throw attempts per game in any season. The closest was Fred as a junior who averaged 4.8, and that was the only time either Ron or Fred averaged 4 or more attempts per game.

That has to be both intriguing and concerning for NBA teams. There are clearly tools off the dribble to get himself looks from 3 (at an elite level) and to put pressure on defenders to foul him. But the inability to finish efficiently from 2 point range at the college level will be a red flag about finishing those same looks against even longer NBA defenders. I think that there is no reason that Tyson can't improve dramatically in that regard, but I'm sure it will be one of the things that NBA teams will be wanting to see from him.
          Last edited by The Mad Hatter; June 13, 2021, 04:42 PM.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• I think NBA teams see the raw talent that TE has.

I believe we will be fortunate to have him back.

Comment

• I think he'll be back and know exactly what he needs to do in the coming year. I also think he's a lot higher with NBA scouts than the 84 where ESPN {I think) spots him in draft projections.

I don't know what position he played in HS, but he's been an off guard at WSU, although he sometimes brought the ball up the court. If he can transition from SG to NBA PG in one year, that would be incredible. FVV plays off guard, but Etienne isn't FVV. I think we get two more years from Etienne before he goes league. Could be just one, but fans would love the season we'd have if Etienne had the year he'd need to leave after this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                I think NBA teams see the raw talent that TE has.

I believe we will be fortunate to have him back.
                Anything is possible, but this is a deep draft class and the NBA doesn't usually covet undersized 2 guards. When there are a wealth of options, NBA teams either take completely polished players or freak athletes who need development. Tyson is not the freak athlete and there are enough holes in his game (proven ability to play the point, lack of efficiency inside the arc) that he is not yet the fully polished player. He goes into this draft far behind were Landry was in term of prospect profile. Not only is Landry taller, but he had more experience at the point and was a more efficient scorer by a wide margin than Tyson:

Landry's redshirt sophomore year he had an effective fg% of .622 to Tyson's .486 (even on 3-point shooting, Tyson's best trait, Landry outdid him .442 to .392) and an assist% of 28.8 compared to Tyson's 16.1.

He has great intangibles (character, leadership, etc.) and a proven ability to score from 3 in high volume (at a time the NBA values the 3 ball) that may cause a team to buy in on him, so a team drafting him is not a wildly unlikely scenario, but I don't consider it a likely one this year either.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• The NBA exposes player weakness's. Being able to go one-on-one doesn't make one, nor will it ever, a point guard, but, the opposite can be true.

Landry was an exceptional (above average) shooter at WSU. He was so because he was, and still is, excellent at freeing himself up and squaring himself up in the half court by running motion and smartly working off of picks. That's obviously his strength still today, even at the NBA level. As far being a point goes, he's not even Brooklyn's third option at the point. Not so sure he's even their 4th option.

Comment

• Tyson needs to get better at dishing the rock after the initial penetration to be a true PG. Fred didn’t shoot as many FTs because he knew when to dish and when to finish.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

Anything is possible, but this is a deep draft class and the NBA doesn't usually covet undersized 2 guards. When there are a wealth of options, NBA teams either take completely polished players or freak athletes who need development. Tyson is not the freak athlete and there are enough holes in his game (proven ability to play the point, lack of efficiency inside the arc) that he is not yet the fully polished player. He goes into this draft far behind were Landry was in term of prospect profile. Not only is Landry taller, but he had more experience at the point and was a more efficient scorer by a wide margin than Tyson:

Landry's redshirt sophomore year he had an effective fg% of .622 to Tyson's .486 (even on 3-point shooting, Tyson's best trait, Landry outdid him .442 to .392) and an assist% of 28.8 compared to Tyson's 16.1.

He has great intangibles (character, leadership, etc.) and a proven ability to score from 3 in high volume (at a time the NBA values the 3 ball) that may cause a team to buy in on him, so a team drafting him is not a wildly unlikely scenario, but I don't consider it a likely one this year either.
                        I am not sure we can compare the stats of Landry and TE. Landry was surrounded by a wealth of scoring talent.

Shaq, Austin, Frank, Jones, McDuffie…. Teams couldn’t cheat off of anyone without getting scorched.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

I am not sure we can compare the stats of Landry and TE. Landry was surrounded by a wealth of scoring talent.

Shaq, Austin, Frank, Jones, McDuffie…. Teams couldn’t cheat off of anyone without getting scorched.
                          Frank? Oh, that Frank.
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

That is certainly true, but when you are already needing to overcome a height disadvantage compared to other prospects at your position (see Fred not being seen as a first round pick even after his senior season), those kind of efficiency numbers can still make it harder for NBA teams to pull the trigger (even if it might not entirely be your fault). The question is not whether Landry was a better college player his sophomore year than Tyson, but whether Tyson is as attractive an NBA prospect at that time as Landry was. I think the answer is clearly no. Landry had more of the size profile the NBA likes for a sg (although not the NBA prototype) and the production to match. Tyson both has to overcome height bias and needs NBA teams to assume that his efficiency could be better in different circumstances rather than simply having numbers that will automatically impress across the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

That is certainly true, but when you are already needing to overcome a height disadvantage compared to other prospects at your position (see Fred not being seen as a first round pick even after his senior season), those kind of efficiency numbers can still make it harder for NBA teams to pull the trigger (even if it might not entirely be your fault). The question is not whether Landry was a better college player his sophomore year than Tyson, but whether Tyson is as attractive an NBA prospect at that time as Landry was. I think the answer is clearly no. Landry had more of the size profile the NBA likes for a sg (although not the NBA prototype) and the production to match. Tyson both has to overcome height bias and needs NBA teams to assume that his efficiency could be better in different circumstances rather than simply having numbers that will automatically impress across the board.
                              Landry was also a year older. Good or bad?
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Landry was also a year older. Good or bad?
                                He had one more year in college, but he was actually was 6 months younger than Tyson currently is when he was drafted, so probably a wash.

Edit: While there may be teams that prioritize getting younger players with less wear and tear, in general I don't think it makes too much difference in basketball. NBA players can play for a long time. If you look at average career lengths, MLB sits at 5.6 years, NBA at 4.8, and NFL at 2.5 (of course this includes both retirement do to age and injury and to players washing out for talent/personal reasons).
                                Last edited by The Mad Hatter; June 14, 2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X