Tyson Etienne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

Fred's passes also got to shooters where the shooter wanted to catch it. A shooter could get into his shot the moment he caught the ball. If a shooter has to reach for the ball it can throw the timing off and sometimes blow up the play. The last couple of years I've seen a lot of guys who were open, but they had to take a step and reach for the ball in order to catch the pass. That can turn an open look into a contested shot or no shot at all.
    2013. Gonzaga. Late in game. Fred passed to Ron in corner. Not a short pass either so defender had time to close out. As ball was in route, I wondered if Ron would have time to get shot up. He caught it right in the shooting pocket and got shot up so quickly.

SWISH!

Thing. Of. Beauty.
    78-65

Comment

• I only did a small statistical comparison of Fred's final year and Tyson's year last year. They were virtually (pretty small variances) the same in 3 point shooting, rebounding, and turnover average (they both value the basketball). However, Fred's free throw shooting was 82% while Tyson's was 76%. I think Tyson is better than that. Fred (38%) 3 point shooting and Tyson (39%) 3 point shooting is very close, but I think Tyson with better shot selection is a better 3 point shooter than his percentage shows, so potentially, Tyson is stronger as a shooter with better shot selection.

The biggest difference between the two is when it comes to Assists. Fred averaged 5.5 APG, while Tyson averaged 2.5 APG.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        I only did a small statistical comparison of Fred's final year and Tyson's year last year. They were virtually (pretty small variances) the same in 3 point shooting, rebounding, and turnover average (they both value the basketball). However, Fred's free throw shooting was 82% while Tyson's was 76%. I think Tyson is better than that. Fred (38%) 3 point shooting and Tyson (39%) 3 point shooting is very close, but I think Tyson with better shot selection is a better 3 point shooter than his percentage shows, so potentially, Tyson is stronger as a shooter with better shot selection.

The biggest difference between the two is when it comes to Assists. Fred averaged 5.5 APG, while Tyson averaged 2.5 APG.
        the biggest difference is elite level defense. Fred played nba level d when he was at WSU. Players literally could not get across half court with the ball in practice. There is a story of one young guard that could not get the ball across, and was later found by Ron in the locker room. This player was kind of weeping and wondering if he could play at this level. Ron said, “don’t worry, he does that to everyone.” Fred is elite quick and has incredibly strong hands. Ask ANY nba big man the perils of bringing the ball down to where Fred can get a hand on it. One hand, Fred knocks the ball loose, two hands, Fred simply takes it from you.

https://youtu.be/smEImjAL8uc. THIS is what separates the men from the boys! The rip in that clip is not something that happens frequently in the NBA, ELITE quickness and hand strength.

Comment

• A bit more FVV NBA defense for your viewing pleasure:

Fred VanVleet is one of the premiere defenders in the NBA, and his ability to generate steals and deflections is among the very best. In this video, I break ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Rocker View Post
            A bit more FVV NBA defense for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BySI3Rj2o5Y
            great highlights! Love me some Tyson. Hope he has a long and successful pro career! BUT, we can all stop comparing anyone to Fred. When comparing a shocker newcomer to an elite former shocker, start your comparison at the player in your mind after Fred. :)

Comment

Wow, that’s a clinic…
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

JUST UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

E.L.I.T.E. does not begin to describe the defensive clinic FVV put on in that video. And the crazy thing is that isn't even just a pick and choose highlight video. That's literally every game for him.

Comment

Fred really should buy Malcom a car or something.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• When did Orlando change their colors?

FVV is still a stud and that should surprise nobody.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        When did Orlando change their colors?
                        nba has 5 jerseys and an alternate color scheme.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

After watching that... i really hope Giannis and Embiid bought their daddy Fred Van Vleet good father's day presents.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

the biggest difference is elite level defense. Fred played nba level d when he was at WSU. Players literally could not get across half court with the ball in practice. There is a story of one young guard that could not get the ball across, and was later found by Ron in the locker room. This player was kind of weeping and wondering if he could play at this level. Ron said, “don’t worry, he does that to everyone.” Fred is elite quick and has incredibly strong hands. Ask ANY nba big man the perils of bringing the ball down to where Fred can get a hand on it. One hand, Fred knocks the ball loose, two hands, Fred simply takes it from you.

THIS is what separates the men from the boys! The rip in that clip is not something that happens frequently in the NBA, ELITE quickness and hand strength.
                            Fred and Ron were both high level defenders, and both had those strong, quick hands, and defensive IQ skills. Ron's willingness to stick his nose into the fray is why he had it broke in the NBA a couple of times, and that's why we were an elite collegiate defensive team. If Ron had been able to translate his offensive game a little better with a better 3 point percentage, he'd still be playing in the NBA too. I think that Tyson has the ability to be a very good defender too, but he doesn't get to play against Fred and Ron everyday at practice, and he's not there yet, maybe ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Fred and Ron were both high level defenders, and both had those strong, quick hands, and defensive IQ skills. Ron's willingness to stick his nose into the fray is why he had it broke in the NBA a couple of times, and that's why we were an elite collegiate defensive team. If Ron had been able to translate his offensive game a little better with a better 3 point percentage, he'd still be playing in the NBA too. I think that Tyson has the ability to be a very good defender too, but he doesn't get to play against Fred and Ron everyday at practice, and he's not there yet, maybe ever.
                              Ron tore up his shoulders and hips (I think he said hips in his TBT podcast interview) by his style of play. It’s wasn’t that his shooting didn’t translate, it’s that he got hurt and wasn’t able to recover his form.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                                Ron tore up his shoulders and hips (I think he said hips in his TBT podcast interview) by his style of play. It’s wasn’t that his shooting didn’t translate, it’s that he got hurt and wasn’t able to recover his form.
                                He went to Russia prior to giving it up. His shooting in NewYork wasn't what they were looking for. But I don't doubt that his style of play wore down his body.

Comment

Working...
                                X