What are college basketball's best remaining grudges? - ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are college basketball's best remaining grudges? - ESPN

Bob Knight and Indiana make up, but many college basketball grudges remain - ESPN

By Myron Medcalf, Staff Writer
    Posted: 02/11/20, 6:00 AM CT

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...grudges-remain

"Bob Knight and Indiana have reconciled, but beef in college basketball is alive and well. Until Saturday, Knight vs. Indiana had been the greatest grudge in college basketball. But it certainly wasn't the only one. What are the top remaining grudges in college basketball? Here's our list:

1. Rick Pitino vs. Kentucky fans...

2. Coach K vs. Maryland...

3. Chris Webber vs. the Fab Five and Michigan...

4. Brad Davison vs. college basketball

5. Wichita State vs. Bill Self
    By population, Kansas (2.9 million) isn't much bigger than Chicago (2.7 million). But the Midwestern state has played a critical role in college basketball. Three of its top schools -- Kansas State, Kansas and Wichita State -- have combined to reach the Elite Eight seven times since 2010.

Wichita State's run to the Final Four in 2013 -- and its overall rise under Gregg Marshall -- sparked a clamoring for an annual matchup with Kansas, one of college basketball's powerhouses. The Shockers haven't played the Jayhawks in the regular season since a 1993 matchup at Allen Fieldhouse, which sits about 160 miles from Wichita State's campus. But Wichita State beat Kansas in the second round of the NCAA tournament in 2015.

"This isn't knocking Wichita State," Self told The Kansas City Star in 2013. "But if it was best for our program, I would reach out to them about scheduling them. But it's not." Self has praised Wichita State in recent years, but he has also maintained that an annual series with Wichita State wouldn't help his program. That hasn't stopped Wichita State fans from accusing Self of dodging the Shockers."

What and who do you say Shockernet has the greatest grudge...

Rick Pitino vs. Kentucky fans
    14.29%
    Coach K vs. Maryland
    0%
    Chris Webber vs. the Fab Five and Michigan
    0%
    Brad Davison vs. college basketball
    0%
    Wichita State vs. Bill Self
    78.57%
    Other? Specify...
    7.14%

I think X and Cincy don't generally play nice together.

Comment

KU fans and Roy Williams

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        That rivalry is so underrated. No other rivalry has a quote quite like ”Zip Em Up!”
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Illinois State and the NCAA Tournament don’t get along well.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Illinois State and the NCAA Tournament don’t get along well.
            Neither does Creighton and the second round of the NCAA Tourney..... :)
            Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
            Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Yep, has to be Wichita State vs. Kansas ---- they haven't beat us in 27 years.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Wu, I once took my wife to a KU game in Lawrence(because SHE'S the fan, not me!:) ) but before the game, we were watching the infamous X/Cincy game when THE FIGHT broke out...I was mesmerized...for the record, I think BOTH Cronin and Mack are knuckleheads...but the hate was palpable through the tv

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  Yep, has to be Wichita State vs. Kansas ---- they haven't beat us in 27 years.
                  Is this true? Its been 27 years? So the last time we got beat by the bad guys some head coach was sporting his new ride?

Comment

This isn't a grudge in my opinion . It is only a basketball game and cancer will not be cured one way or the other. It should be played sometime, but I don't think about it much.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post

Is this true? Its been 27 years? So the last time we got beat by the bad guys some KU recruit was sporting his new ride?

FIFY
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                      X