Clear All

• 57B97EF9-B66A-4051-94BF-2783075FFA27.png

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      Really, really, really...

WStateU,
      Thanks. This was a much needed post.
      Why?
      Cause it made me laugh. You are the best.

That is all.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        I do not expect Coach to play zone.
        I do not expect Coach to call time outs.
        I do not expect Coach to change his offense.
        Coach Marshall did call a timeout in the first half and I'm thinking, "What's going on?"

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Coach Marshall did call a timeout in the first half and I'm thinking, "What's going on?"
          He realized we were on our way to getting our butts whipped. And thought he should try something different.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            terrible player evaluation?? I gave you the full body of work and you only gave conference. Lots of folks ragging on ES but
            compare ALL, I say ALL of the stats compared to DD's. ES' are much better and not just shooting % look at assists and
            turnovers which count a lot. I totally agree that as of late DD is coming on and ES has struggled. I want them BOTH to
            play well starting Thursday. I think the real improvement has to start with our ZERO assist PG's who are not running the
            offense well, dribbling too much, shooting poorly themselves and falling asleep on defense. It all starts with them on
            offense. Back to AAC level players JE is it right now. I am hoping for much better performances from ALL our players not
            just a few who I like a little more. I want W's and don't care who the leading scorer is and I will defend ANY player who I
            feel has been unfairly judged. And btw, when did 38% shooting become a good AAC games stat?
            So you think stats against the Abilene Christians of the world are for more important than those against AAC competition?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

DD is 30% overall and from the perimeter. He has more turnovers than assists. Those are the facts. I'm rooting
              for all the guys to do better, much better. Starts with ball movement, players moving without the ball, and PG's who
              findf them. A lot pf players standing around on the perimeter watching the PG's dribble the clock out. When we
              start getting at least 1. 5 assists to turnovers a game we will start winning again.
              DD is the last guy on the roster you should be trying to pick apart.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                I do not expect Coach to play zone.
                I do not expect Coach to call time outs.
                I do not expect Coach to change his offense.
                He called timeouts on Sunday.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

DD is 30% overall and from the perimeter. He has more turnovers than assists. Those are the facts. I'm rooting
                  for all the guys to do better, much better. Starts with ball movement, players moving without the ball, and PG's who
                  findf them. A lot pf players standing around on the perimeter watching the PG's dribble the clock out. When we
                  start getting at least 1. 5 assists to turnovers a game we will start winning again.
                  If you can't see the talent in DD after the last two years, no one can help you. Don't give me this crap about rooting for all players. Where have all your stats been where AM is concerned the last two years? In fact you told people they were irrelevant where he was concerned. I can pick which players you irrationally defend now and will defend in the future.

Comment

• If I had to boil down our issues into one key stat, I'd call out assists. We've had 7 games where our leading assist man had 3 or less assists. Unsurprisingly, in our losses we have dramatically fewer assists as a team as well including just 4 assists against Houston.

Assists aren't really a valuable stat like steals or made field goals, but in our offense they show how effective our guards are at making plays. If you go back to Fred and Ron's last year, the only games where our best assist man had 3 or less assists where games that we easily won and rested the starters early. That shows that visible difference between our offense then and now can be quantified.

Basically, teams are doubling up pressure on our guards. We don't trust ourselves to make the next pass, so we stall out at the perimeter and don't make the defense move. This makes passing out harder because the defense is in position to challenge the pass. This leads to bad shots, as we are playing one offensive player against five defensive players. Stepback 3s, penetration right into a shotblocker, and guarded midrange shots are all emblematic of the problem. We aren't even able to find our big men to let our most consistent offense score, because we give the defense plenty of time to front or prepare a trap and because we have to being up our bigs to set screens just to help out the guards, not to run a pick and roll to try and score.

We are missing shots because they aren't open. We aren't open because we aren't passing quickly and decisively. We aren't passing because we aren't trusting our individual abilities or our teammates.

This leads to players that don't trust in their abilities going outside their comfort zone and shooting while guarded, after letting the defense get in prime position. No one guard is getting into a rhythm and making plays, and no one is getting the ball fed to them when they are hot.

Comment

• 1. DD was outstanding the second half of LAST season and has been warmed over crap up to the last 3-4 games. I give credit
                      where credit is due and he certainly deserved a LOT of it LAST season. He is upside down in assists/ to's, shoots 30% and only has
                      seven steals compared to ES' 38
                      2. CBB had a great post
                      3. Yes I have a couple favorites but don't question my desire for all of players to excel. I want W's and don't care who delivers
                      4. I think the quickest answer is to play ES and DD together again as starters and use the FR as the complimentary guys I can live
                      with AM on the bench as long as the team is winning.
                      5. The whole team got out hustled and showed little fight vs UH - that has to change along with our assist numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

He has disappeared. He's not playing against low-major competition anymore. But is he adjusting to that? Is coaching adjusting to that? Nope. Just keep doing the same thing over and over and throw up airball after airball, get stuffed like a turkey, or lose the ball on the way to the hole. One of those 3 things happens 90% of the time now. He's one of the guys to me that is just looking to get his. He never looks to pass. When he gets the ball, he is gonna be the last one to touch it, usually resulting in minimal success.

When you don't adjust, you disappear.
                        Please don't take this as beating JB's drum, but we have a lot of players who have disappeared recently. You did manage to make your statement after the first game that JB did not have an assist for the season. Remember, he plays the PG less than 15 mpg yet, still leads the team in assists at 3.3 apg (GS is 2.7 apg playing the point about 25 mpg and ES is 3rd at 2.1 apg). I would not mind if more non-post players had JB's stats for the last 3 disappearing games: 23 points, 11-26 FG (11-20 inside the arc)(1 of 3 players with more than 1 FG the last game), 6 rebounds and 6 assists. Yup, he had to many TOs (9) and PFs (6) just like most of the rest of the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by washedup View Post
                          Against grown men? Houston started a freshman, two sophomores & two juniors. WSU started a freshman, two sophomores, a junior and one senior. The excuse of being young is getting old.
                          Yes, and that WSU senior had 1 year D-I experience coming into this year and the junior had 0. Total pre-D-I = 1 year and 662 minutes.

The 2 starting juniors for Houston had a total pre-D-I = 4 years (plus a transfer RS year) and 2460 minutes.

WSU's only other upperclassman is AM and barely sees the court this year.

Houston's lone senior has started 13 games this season and plays almost 18 mpg.

From an experience angle, there is more to it than what "class" one is in.

Comment

• The fact that some are calling for Marshalls job or alluding to that is shocking. We are facing ADVERSITY. Look what happened last year when faced with adversity. We turned it around and went to the NIT final 4.

We follow it up with a 17-1 start, and OBVIOUSLY we are fully back and ready to go, the team is having a blast and so are the coaches.

Except wait, maybe we're not fully back. Ok.

So we do have a bunch of freshmen and sophomores and so does Houston, but that is a different point. So we have a bunch of young players, but the thought seems to be "Houston also has young players so that excuse is invalid."
                            ​​​Except it isn't, and probably never will be.

If we all had a chance, we'd take a group of seniors over a group of freshmen, wouldn't we? Yes we would. Seniors are better than Juniors and Juniors are better than sophomores and sophomores are better than freshman, that's just the fact of the universe and it will never change.

I saw the shifting point @ Ugone. Something flipped there, and I think I noticed on the post game celebration a bunch of people cheering after the win. But there were maybe a few not really celebrating. I wonder if something went down around then? All indications point to that now. Now we are getting quotes from Coach and players that there's a disconnect, players know what needs to be done, but coach doesn't.

And Coach can't reach them? Does that mean the team is questioning coach's leadership and decisions? Or is it an internal struggle within the players? Or all 3?

Coaches and players need to look at this from the top. WSU is giving all to the coaches and players with great support and putting us in the position to succeed. Need to honor that and give it Switching YOUR ALL for being provided top notch support, training, education, etc.

And moving to the AAC is like a rebuild, is it not?? Everybody keeps saying we have "MVC" players. Ok so if that's true, it'll take a few years to recruit AAC level players, and we ARE getting them now. The talent level is rising, but the competition level jumped faster than we could keep up, but I guarantee you Gregg Marshall and the team will turn it around. And ARE turning it around.

We are just lucky we MOVED to the AAC with a very talented team with an NBA star on it.

Patience, believe, and support. Coach brings honesty, hard work, and upstanding citizens to WSU. Look at the look on his face when asked about what's going on. Coach cares deeply what is going on. Last interviews he looks physically sick he is so upset. Then the fans are starting to question him? I hope stuff like that doesn't tear the soul from Marshall, who has given his all to WSU.

Sorry for the long post of rolling thoughts, but we as Fans need to get it the hell together.

Comment

• The thing that bothered me the most from Sunday's game was not losing, and not even the fact we got boatraced. It was the lack of fight I saw in the team. That is what I am looking for in terms of improvement over the final stretch of the season. If victories come with it, great! If not, I want to see fight and energy in the team, even in the face of challenges. For what I spend on season tickets and SASO, considering how much of a chunk of my disposable income it represents, that is what I have to see. I am hoping they really did clear the air in practice as is being reported, and that it turns into the passion and energy on the floor we are used to seeing. Go Shocks!
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• I will be concerned if we suddenly have a bunch of injuries. THAT is a sign of the players quitting. Let's hope our 19 year olds don't start hiding behind injury excuses.
                                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X