AAC Expansion mentioned by Mike Kennedy on the pregame yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
    As much as I like Gonzaga, I don’t see the incentive for them to move. Same with BYU. We thought our travel was bad, imagine having to travel at a minimum halfway across the country for every road game.
    I don’t know what or if any talks are actually happened. I’d imagine that Mike isn’t totally out of the information loop. I don’t know where you got the #16 but you must have pulled it out of somewhere. Right now, Gonzaga and BYU are playing schools like Pacific University, San Francisco, and Santa Clara University. Those three schools make UNI, Bradley, and Illinois State look like basketball powers. Gonzaga, and Boise have verybad options which are probably zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
      I, for one, just don't see how Boise coming to the American benefits the American. Seems like it would be more appealing for them than us. I guess the same was probably said about us when we entered the league.

To me, a great candidate would need to have the following:

- Be within the current geographic footprint of the American
      - Be located in an MSA as big or bigger than Wichita
      - If not within current geographic footprint, be added in tandem with a travel partner

I also don't foresee the American adding a new member that does not have football.
      You may or may not be implying that Boise misses an all 3 of these criteria at this point. I will point out I think Boise does meet your MSA requirement.

As of the 2018 estimate, the Boise City–Nampa, Idaho Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a population of 730,426, while the larger Boise City–Mountain Home–Ontario, ID–OR Combined Statistical Area (CSA) had a population of 811,961.

Comment

Count me in as liking that expansion idea. Especially with Boise, Gonzaga, possibly BYU and yeah...grab San Diego St. while they're at it. That expansion west would quantify the conference truly as THE AMERICAN CONFERENCE!

With the conferences shake-up looming...might as well grow your brand with a few more good quality universities. Lest we don't get poached and shrink. Stay as close to the P-5 as possible I say.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Can you imagine if the scheduling gods lined up road games at UCF then at Gonazaga back to back?

Or how about a UCF at Gonzaga road game ... that's like 6000 miles round trip ...

Comment

Hard pass on BYU, thank you. Get schools that will play anytime that any other member will.
            One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              Can you imagine if the scheduling gods lined up road games at UCF then at Gonazaga back to back?

Or how about a UCF at Gonzaga road game ... that's like 6000 miles round trip ...
              I would think (hope) they would have some sort of rules and standards that would prevent that from happening....cause yeah...that would not be cool.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

You may or may not be implying that Boise misses an all 3 of these criteria at this point. I will point out I think Boise does meet your MSA requirement.

As of the 2018 estimate, the Boise City–Nampa, Idaho Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a population of 730,426, while the larger Boise City–Mountain Home–Ontario, ID–OR Combined Statistical Area (CSA) had a population of 811,961.
                Yeah, I could have worded that better. Maybe "ideal" or "perfect" candidate. Boise isn't bad per se, but it doesn't make as much sense to me given the geography.

If the American goes for non-football members, a school like Dayton would be a good fit.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Who would not want Gonzaga, San Diego St.
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

in a chartered flight i’m not worried about it. in the days of the train or bus, it’d be taxing. not buying it these days.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

in a chartered flight i’m not worried about it. in the days of the train or bus, it’d be taxing. not buying it these days.
                      Generally, I agree with where you're coming from. But what's being discussed here really does get into multiple flights long enough to not be that fun.

Even more taxing, IMO, would be the time zone changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Generally, I agree with where you're coming from. But what's being discussed here really does get into multiple flights long enough to not be that fun.

3g recruits men though... and men can handle multiple cross country flights. gets 'em ready for the nba or the overseas league of long travel day(s). not saying that its fun, but it's a part of the big boy business.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

3g recruits men though... and men can handle multiple cross country flights. gets 'em ready for the nba or the overseas league of long travel day(s). not saying that its fun, but it's a part of the big boy business.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Went to Maui a few years ago and the direct flight back to Dallas was a 'killer'... it took me several days to get back to normal. I'd always thought 'jetlag' was an 'old wives tale' until I experienced it first hand. Yes, I'm getting old, but travel does affect all of us.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Every two hours of time zone difference equals one day of recovery. At least that’s my rule of thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Went to Maui a few years ago and the direct flight back to Dallas was a 'killer'... it took me several days to get back to normal. I'd always thought 'jetlag' was an 'old wives tale' until I experienced it first hand. Yes, I'm getting old, but travel does affect all of us.

I was in that same boat WstateU. I had never experienced jet lag, but after that same trip from Maui to Dallas, I learned it's a very real thing. It would be interesting to see how Boise/BYU/Whoever would shake up the travel schedule in the AAC.

Comment

Working...
                                X