Clear All

• Wichita State vs Houston Pre-Game Discussion

Description: WICHITA STATE VS HOUSTON
    When: JAN 18 (SAT) 3:00 P.M.
    Where: WICHITA, KAN. CHARLES KOCH ARENA
    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM https://keyn.radio.com/
    TV: ESPN2

Summary:
    Less than a year after winning the American Athletic Conference regular-season championship, the University of Houston Men's Basketball program was selected to defend its title in the Preseason AAC Coaches Poll. Junior guard DeJon Jarreau was named to the league's Preseason First Team. Jarreau returns in 2019-20 as the Cougars' leader with 8.7 points and 3.3 assists per game. Houston is 14 – 4 overall and 3 -1 AAC.

Odd Makers:
    Vegas: WSU by 3.0
    DRatings: WSU 61% by 7.0
    ESPN: WSU 61%
    INCCSTATS: WSU 59% by 3.0
    KenPom: WSU 62% by 3.5
    Massey: WSU 60% by 3.0
    Nolan: WSU by 4.0
    Sagarin: WSU by 3.2
    Torvik: WSU 76% by 7.0
    Wilson: WSU 79% by 9.0
    Shocks Win by 10+
    16.00%
    Shocks Win by 5+
    34.00%
    Shocks Win by 1+
    24.00%
    Toss Up - Could Go Either Way
    20.00%
    Shocks Lose by 1+
    0%
    Shocks Lose by 5+
    4.00%
    Shocks Lose by 10+
    2.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by WuShock Reaper; January 18, 2020, 09:28 AM. Reason: Updated prediction models

Houston rebounds and struggles vs zones..... So not a great matchup for us

Comment

I think we come out and play angry. Shox by 12

Comment

We are approximately halfway through the season. If you would have given me 15-2 at this point with this young team back in October, I would have said you’re crazy! So hats off to these great kids and HCGM and staff. I am really enjoying this team.

So the Shox had a night off vs Temple...It was bound to happen with a young team. If the team can erase that game from their collective memory banks, and focus on Houston, we win by 10...

Comment

How do we handle them doubling the post? To me that is the big question. We have people that can guard Mills and Grimes.
          If we keep our turnovers under 12 and shoot 40% or better, I feel the good vibes.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            How do we handle them doubling the post? To me that is the big question. We have people that can guard Mills and Grimes.
            If we keep our turnovers under 12 and shoot 40% or better, I feel the good vibes.
            I imagine Houston will take their queue from the Temple game and put heavy pressure on our PG and try to deny Erik and Tyson. Jamie will also have more competition down low. We have to hit open shots and get second chance points. It's gonna be tough. Our defense has to be better than theirs to win this, IMO.

Comment

Philly in the rear-view mirror. Shocks by 11. 16-2. Move up 5 spots come Monday to #11 in the AP Poll. Yep.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

They'll double the post, we gotta hit threes. They'll drive the paint and we won't play zone, gotta have a friendly whistle. They'll trap Sherfield, he's gotta step up.

Comment

Three games in seven days, against tough competition, 3,500 miles of travel and a double OT game in between, that's got me a little worried about Saturday. Plus, if we lose, we'll get dropped out of the top 25. Hopefully, they'll be completely refreshed mentally and physically by game time.

Comment

We rebound!
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                      We rebound!
                      Literally and figuratively...
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

This game concerns me for several reasons. First, you could see our shooters lost their confidence last game. Have not
                        re watched it but it didn't seem to me like they were getting good looks at all and generally pulled up short of the basket
                        when driving rather than attacking the rim aggressively. Just looked like we were playing scared on offense. If we are
                        going to win this game we better move the ball better to create better opportunities both inside and out. If we can't regain
                        our confidence shooting it will be another tough night and Houston's defense is better than Temples. Secondly, our PF's and
                        backup center were non factors. JE was it on the inside and JB was it on the outside. We need to have everyone
                        contributing. After a game like the last one it's difficult to get your swagger/confidence back. I see us struggling early.
                        I think our defense will have to make them un comfortable too until offense can come around. Think it will be a low
                        scoring game. Only wishful thinking makes me pick the Shox but I will 58-55 with more balanced scoring and defense key.

Comment

I'm glad this one's here in the dub. Go shox, I predict they respond as well as they did the last time we lost.

Comment

This will be mind over matter. Have to forget last game and play with more energy. Keep turnovers down, hit free throws, and stay out of foul trouble. Will be a dog fight, Shocker faithful have to bring it like we did against Memphis. Start a new streak and forget about Wednesday.

Comment

I don't like to bag on individual players and hate to belabor the point, but one of our big men has to start making more free throws. When he missed two in a row in the second half of the Temple game, coach Marshall immediately turned to his assistant coaches and said something... I couldn't tell what he said because his back was to the camera and his assistant coaches were nodding. I'm guessing it went something like this, "he's killing us; one of you better get him in the gym and get this figured out fast... it's turning into an automatic turnover every time he's fouled in the act of shooting." You could tell coach Marshall was...
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X