No announcement yet.

Wichita State(#16) at Temple Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry if I missed it, but what page is the postgame press conference link on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
      Sorry if I missed it, but what page is the postgame press conference link on?
      it’s attached to Taylor’s article this morning

Comment

• I didn't think DD played well nor did at least 4-5 others. Can't beat many teams firing on just two cylinders. They were
        up on us tight and stepping in the passing lanes but I don't remember a single successful back door, Except for JB our guards
        were bad and the PF's were, as well. We need to right the ship fast and that won't be easy this time, Another concern of
        mine, long term, is how we are going to replace JE next season. Might have to get a quality juco center or 5th year
        transfer.

Comment

• Thinking that maybe the black plague...I mean the flu bug hit us. Hope we are good for Houston and don't have a couple guys sitting out.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• It is good to remember that a team with two future NBA players lost to UNI twice in one season, and that the offense was very listless at times that season too. But we still won two NCAA tournament games, so it gets swept under the rug a bit. And a team with Cle and Fred playing had a three game losing streak against the Valley before going to the Final Four.

I'm glad that the majority of this board isn't ready to jump off a cliff after one bad game. We'll be fine. But the bench will be shortened even more so, and there will be much less margin for error if you are a fringe rotation player.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• 1. Couldn't sleep.
              2. Coach's in-game decisions are basically not to do anything
              3. Everybody is going to trap us the rest of the way.
              4. Mo has to shoot 60% from the line or it's a turnover everytime
              5. We might be good enough that we can win by playing harder than the opponent, but....
              6. I think being outrebounded by UConn is no surprise, but this bunch? No.
              7. We used to play a lot of guys in the first half, then wear them down in the second half
              8. ETN must shoot better for us to win
              9. Zone mighta allowed us to win ugly.
              10. Houston gonna drive, and drive, and drive

Comment

• Anybody have a link to the post-game presser?

Comment

• The timeout obsession is mind-bottling at this point. It's like holding a giant sign that says "I don't know how the last 12 years worked"

I recall a timeout, btw. We ran a play, got a wide open 3 for Etienne, and then rolled the ball around on the court. Stubborn coaching.

Comment

• Bad Bad 2nd half...... use this a s a learning experience. Hopefully will pay dividends later.
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Agreed. Just went at it without much support.
                      Our offense set is soooo predictable. No adjustment, no altered sets. We flash JE on the high post to screen. He thens rolls and we reverse the ball.
                      Then...
                      When nothing opens on the roll, we dribble for 5 seconds and finally reverse the ball.
                      Then...
                      More dribbling until the shot clock winds down and a 25' bomb is detonated.
                      And so it went on and on and on tonight.

Not hard to defend that type of offense.

That is all.
                      Full agreement here. I've been grouchy in the stands at a couple of home games this year for basically the same reasons. We were winning, but it looked painful that we were making it so hard on ourselves. Lack of ball movement due to lack of player movement (well, movement the other team is not expecting us to make anyway).

It's like George Scott playing Patton: "Rommel (Marshall), you magnificent ba**ard, I read your book!" It was a great compliment...but.

Even if your typical offense works in most games, changing things up drastically during a difficult game, even for just a couple of plays, might work wonders.

Give up a good lead and giving momentum to the opposing team, particularly on the road, by not calling a timeout or not making some on the fly changes, or both, I just cannot get use to.

Comment

• In two road conference games, WSU beat the #10 team in double overtime and lost to the #8 team in the standings. I don’t mind if you count me down as being concerned.

Comment

• Every team has a game or 2 like this every year. In the 2015 MVC tournament we lost to Ill. St. when Fred Ron and Tekele went 3 for 16 from 3. It's frustrating but sometimes everyone goes cold at the same time. (We also shot 50% from the free throw line). The next 2 games we beat Indiana and KU to go to the sweet 16. Let's get back home and beat Houston.
                          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

I know he is busy running his own successful program, but just wonder if CJ would have stood up and suggested a time out after Temple ripped off so many points.

That is all.
                            As the 12-6 Aggies prepare for their WAC tilt against Utah Valley State and the 15-2 Shockers prepare for Houston, I don't think many of us are ready to make that trade just yet. I mean, Jans is a quality coach and all, but let's not pretend like he's Wooden reincarnate while HCGM is Randy Smithson.

The dude has his flaws, but so does a dented Rolls Royce.

That is all
                            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Mrs Levitt,
                              No big deal. Just hope it was a top shelf bourbon. Maybe Woodford Reserve?
                              Thanks Aargh, appreciate the explanation.

I watched the game via DVR after getting home from mine. I didn't need to scroll ahead to know HCGM just would not call a TO at the start of the second half despite Temple going on a 11-0 run the first 4:06. It was as predictable as their offensive sets.
                              This "let them figure it out" approach looks great when you have two veteran future NBA players running the show.
                              However, FVV has exhausted all of his eligibility and Toronto isn't going to release him anyway to come back to WSU. RB is also still busy doing his thing.
                              The last two games in a row he has displayed the ol "I'm the coach and I'll be as stubborn as I want" attitude.
                              Well, results are not backing up the approach.

I know he thinks this manner of working through the tough times will pay dividends down the road. But the time to win a game is now and when a process is not working, adjustments are necessary, even when it doesn't fit your modus operandi.

I know he is busy running his own successful program, but just wonder if CJ would have stood up and suggested a time out after Temple ripped off so many points.

That is all.
                              Hell, he probably would have jumped up and called it himself!
                              It wasn't complicated. Call time. Tell players to throw the damn ball to JE.

Temple shot 27 free throws and made 20. They shot 50% from inside the arc and 25% outside.

It seems logical to me to play zone against a team like that. Cuts down the fouls on drives. Make them prove they can score from outside which they can't.
                              I know I beat a dead horse but it's not rocket science.....just bull headed stubbornness.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                                In two road conference games, WSU beat the #10 team in double overtime and lost to the #8 team in the standings. I don’t mind if you count me down as being concerned.
                                The Big 10 who many say is the best conference in the country .... look at those road records ... it happens ... There are 5 Big 10 teams including multiple ranked teams that have yet to win a road game ....

big 10.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X