No announcement yet.

Asbjorn Midtgaard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still on the AM train! I was one of the most outspoken posters about him being a liability early last year. Then he made me eat my words the back half of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Having said that, I am glad to have AM on the team. There are a few games each year when there is a favorable match up, which allows him to make a positive contribution. He has a good attitude. Not everyone can be in the regular rotation. Having a player that isn't in it that can occasionally help the team is a very nice thing to have. Especially one that is 7ft.
      Looks like we agree on this one after all Aargh.

I would also add that If a player of his size didn't have flaws he wouldn't be here long in this era of basketball. We are lucky to have him.

Comment

He may still play an increased role this season, but I am sure he will have a bigger role next year and will be much needed.

Comment

I met AM at the Warren theater over Christmas break. This was right after the VCU game in which he didn’t even play. He could have been grouchy or snarky, but that’s just not who he is! Team first kind of guy. Such a nice guy and a great ambassador for the school.

Comment

He has been a valuable asset to our program. His stock does rise against teams with big front lines. In reality, he
            probably would be a much better player for a team that zones a lot but, of course, GM hardly ever zones. When we
            do get in post foul trouble I'd like to see us zone for a few minutes when he is in the game so he can stay in the
            paint instead of chasing the "water bugs" following screens. We might see a much more effective player and the
            switch to a zone for a few minutes could throw off our opponents a few minutes as they have to adjust. Some tough
            games ahead and were probably going to need him, as well as, IC.

Comment

AM will play pro ball in Europe after he leaves WSU. He's a big kid with a skill set that a lot of teams could use. However his career pans out at WSU, he has a lot of basketball in front of him.

Comment

Had 3G not had AM to throw in the mix last night either Jaime or Mo most likely would have fouled out or certainly got very close to it as it seemed they were calling everything on both of them and nothing on the Tigers’ bigs. Things seemed to level out in the second half.

Comment

Well, I like him a lot, but we HAVE to keep him...aren't we going to his country next summer? THAT would be embarrassing....:)

Comment

If you compare AM with our other centers using the Advanced stats on sports-reference.com, he is third in OBPM, second in DBPM, and second in BPM.

Glossary:

OBPM -- Offensive Box Plus/Minus
                    A box score estimate of the offensive points per 100 possessions a player contributed above a league-average player, translated to an average team.
                    DBPM -- Defensive Box Plus/Minus
                    A box score estimate of the defensive points per 100 possessions a player contributed above a league-average player, translated to an average team.
                    BPM -- Box Plus/Minus
                    A box score estimate of the points per 100 possessions a player contributed above a league-average player, translated to an average team.

Player OBPM DBPM BPM
                    Morris Udeze 2.9 3.5 6.5
                    Asbjorn Midtgaard -0.1 5.9 5.8
                    Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler -1.2 6.3 5.1
                    Jaime Echenique 0.4 3.6 4.0
                    Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
                    Generated 1/10/2020.

Comment

I’m rooting for AM, I think all Shocker faithful are. He’s a positive team player with limited skill sets but he’s a 7 footer with decent hands and pretty good touch. He’s a role player who accepts his role without attitude, what a plus. He will have his day when he helps win a game which could change a season. Not many teams have 3-4 post players with different skill sets, what a luxury...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        AM will play pro ball in Europe after he leaves WSU. He's a big kid with a skill set that a lot of teams could use. However his career pans out at WSU, he has a lot of basketball in front of him.
                        AM has his flaws, most notably lateral foot speed. There will be a few games this year where he can match up with an opposing big. However, Tacko Fall is gone and was probably an ideal setting for AM. I felt bad for him last night when he went up weak towards the basket and had his attempt shoved back down on him. I just cringed at the sight.
                        My concern is his foot speed appears to be slower than last year. Towards the end of the season, he was moving well and able to get in position to contest drives to the basket. This year, not so much. Most all drivers to the basket are quickly getting by him, giving up easy points.
                        He is indeed a great teammate and HCGM is not one to chase off someone who represents his program with class and integrity. He will have his spots in the next year and a half and as Dan said make some cash back home.

That is all.
                        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Also, HCGM is always looking for the guy who can set big time screens. AM certainly fits the bill there!

That is all.
                          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

In the right situation he can be very valuable off the screen and roll or high low game.

Comment

Cincy has a big guy in Vogt that I bet he will see big minutes against.
                              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                                Cincy has a big guy in Vogt that I bet he will see big minutes against.
                                Yup. See my post above. I think he wins us one of those games.

Comment

Working...
                                X