Wichita State vs Memphis Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    It’s the cynic in me, but I don’t believe at all that Penny and Lomax acted in good faith when Lomax signed with us. Penny was jockeying for the Memphis job pretty hard during that time, and losing a local recruit like Lomax was part of the death knell for Tubby.
    I don't know if your right but you could be and I like your logic on this one.

Comment

I have a question about a quote from the hype video.

"Penny said he isn't worried about us."

Not saying this didn't happen, but I cannot seem to find the source of this. Is this manufactured motivation, or did Penny really say something along these lines?
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

There's no way to prove it one way or the other, but someone would have to have their head buried in the sand if they think Penny wasn't doing everything he could to get the Memphis job, including paying a player's family's moving expenses.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

I think Penny has bigger problems if his team needs motivation for the game Thursday. Play the disrespect card all you want. All us Shocker fans heard all summer was how great Memphis’s recruiting class was and that they were going to roll the league.
          Exactly. And how can you be disrespected when you were picked to win the conference. Preseason ranked in the top 15, and have several players picked to the all conference team. More bullsht from Penny. Shocker fans know better.

Comment

It’s the cynic in me, but I don’t believe at all that Penny and Lomax acted in good faith when Lomax signed with us. Penny was jockeying for the Memphis job pretty hard during that time, and losing a local recruit like Lomax was part of the death knell for Tubby.
            Originally posted by Topshock View Post

To me, whether Penny and Lomax talked about such was irrelevant. Are you saying Marshall wasn't aware of the (strong) possibility that Penny would take over for Tubby, that year or next? Given our player situation at that time, I think HCGM thought it was a risk worth taking. He continued to shave and here we now are, no worse off. Probably better.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

To me, whether Penny and Lomax talked about such was irrelevant. Are you saying Marshall wasn't aware of the (strong) possibility that Penny would take over for Tubby, that year or next? Given our player situation at that time, I think HCGM thought it was a risk worth taking. He continued to shave and here we now are, no worse off. Probably better.
              For sure, we are no worse off. But that doesn't mean it's not relevant.

Comment

Are you insinuating $.01 would cheat? Who’d a thunk it??
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Exactly. And how can you be disrespected when you were picked to win the conference. Preseason ranked in the top 15, and have several players picked to the all conference team. More bullsht from Penny. Shocker fans know better.
                  … and have 7 new recruits all ranked higher than any of our recruits. Yep, we're all crying crocodile tears for them.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I was a huge Penny fan back in his playing days. I was glad when he got the job but his antics and whining are getting tiresome.

Comment

Unrestrained and out it in the open. Ray Charles could see it...

WSU (Lomax), Jefferies and Kentucky, Ellis and Duke. "Financial aid" for Wisemann. I'm sure I'm leaving someone out.

The NCAA appears to be one of Penny's biggest fans'.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Not saying this didn't happen, but I cannot seem to find the source of this. Is this manufactured motivation, or did Penny really say something along these lines?
                        I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

WSU (Lomax), Jefferies and Kentucky, Ellis and Duke. "Financial aid" for Wisemann. I'm sure I'm leaving someone out.

Ray Charles and Bernie Lomax...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

If he did say it, I hope we make him eat his words two or three times this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

They punished Wiseman for it, thankfully, and he quit college basketball because of it. Don't think the NCAA is a huge fan of Penny and Memphis at this point after they pulled their little stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

True. I wouldn't trade Lomax for Burton
                                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X