"Wichita" Eagle calls Wichita State "Midmajor"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wichita" Eagle calls Wichita State "Midmajor"

More evidence that that the so-called local paper is ran out of Kansas City. There's nothing local about it anymore.

Unbelievable and insulting.

I saw that, and had the same reaction.

Comment

Notice its not our normal guy (sorry drawing a blank). Its the high school writer Barber.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
        Notice its not our normal guy (sorry drawing a blank). Its the high school writer Barber.
        Taylor Eldridge.

Comment

Taylor knows better. This guy’s a useless tool.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

#sad #dumb

Comment

Expected better. If it wasn’t for Taylor, the Eagle would be nothing.

Comment

Mid Major? Didn’t we graduate from that when we joined the AAC?

Comment

I've said this before...its not the Wichita paper. Period. I'm not going to bother reading the article. I don't subscribe to that paper in any form. If I was still a subscriber, and I were to read it, I would consider dropping. In today's society, where "social" mobilization is just a click, tweet, or a post on instagram away, this could be damaging to one's employment.

Comment

Ridiculous and unacceptable. I sent an email to Mr. Barber, and I'm contacting the newspaper too. I encourage you to do the same.

If I still lived there, I'd show up at their Podunk new office tomorrow with pitch forks, torches, Molotov cocktails, etc.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

tayloreldridge , is there anything you can do about this? Seriously man, your paper is pissing off the largest sports fan base it has.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

The article also states that the Memphis game on Thursday will go a long way in determining the auto qualifier from the league. I guess he doesn't get the concept of a conference tournament either.

Comment

I sent an email to the author of the article

Here it is:

--------------------------------------

WSU fans (Eagle readers) are sensitive about WSU being referred to as "mid-major". As far back as when Turgeon was here, he referred to WSU as a high major program in a mid-major conference.

How many "mid-majors" have been to the NCAA tourney 7 of the last 8 years and have a F4 and a S16 in that span? How many "mid-majors" have a coach among the top 12 or so paid coaches in the nation? How many "mid-majors" have been ranked in the polls for most of the last 8 years?

Just because a school plays in a conference with a significant football program, those schools are automatically referred to as "high majors". The majority of schools in those leagues can't put up a recent resume to compare to WSU's.

Not even the major publications who cover "mid-major" basketball include WSU any more. Why is the local paper among the last to recognize that WSU is no longer a "mid-major"?
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The author's eMail address is: hbarber@wichitaeagle.com
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Maybe this guy can write a timely article about Bruce Weber not wanting to schedule the mid-major state school. Sounds like something his speed.

Comment

Heying just looking to inject some drama into his article by working the underdog mid major angle. Pretty natural for journalists to do that... accuracy secondary to a good story. Not really acceptable for a local journalist to do that however.

Comment

Working...
                              X