shocker lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shocker lineup

my wish is for Etienne to develop into a PG. He’s playing the 2 and at 6’1”, it’s not ideal. He played some PG in HS and is gonna have to be a PG if he plays at the next level. I’m still not convinced we have what we need at the point. Sherfield is just too methodic and is not creating like he needs to. We hear about his shooting but I haven’t really seen it yet. Start JB at the 3 and Erik at the 2. Until Dennis starts playing like he can, we need guys out there that can put points on the board and I don’t think we’re giving up much on D the way ES and JB play.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    my wish is for Etienne to develop into a PG. He’s playing the 2 and at 6’1”, it’s not ideal. He played some PG in HS and is gonna have to be a PG if he plays at the next level. I’m still not convinced we have what we need at the point. Sherfield is just too methodic and is not creating like he needs to. We hear about his shooting but I haven’t really seen it yet. Start JB at the 3 and Erik at the 2. Until Dennis starts playing like he can, we need guys out there that can put points on the board and I don’t think we’re giving up much on D the way ES and JB play.
    I don't see TE at the Point at this time. He hasn't been consistent but reports say he is a pure shooter and excels when he is shooting step in 3's. None of the Freshmen are being consistent at this time but if you remember, JB and Eric weren't very good (none of the Shockers were) at this time last year either. As the song says, "you want it now" and you need to be a little patient.

Comment

I don't give much weight to stats fattened up against weak opponents. My opinions are my own based on my knowledge of
      the game and what I have seen. GM is the man, no question, and HIS opinions rule. Having said that based on what I've seen
      from last year and this year my own depth chart and player assessments are as follows. At point, both JB and GS are a little slow
      and methodical. They both dribble to much and don't even look to pass inside. It looks like they are both working to get their
      own shots first. Improvement is needed running the team and keeping the ball moving. If they don't get better quickly I'd like to
      see more NF. ES and ET have performed well at the two guard and on both ends. DD plays good tough defense but hasn't
      shown me any toughness on offense. When your shots off use your athleticism to get to the rim and draw some fouls and/or
      double teams where you can then get some assists to the big guys. ES backs up well. For me, Wade still has a lot prove.
      JE clearly our best center. I think AM and MO just need to defend and rebound well and convert the easy shots when a
      perimeter player actually sees them and delivers a good pass. AM is the better screener and doesn't try and do too much on
      offense ( a good thing ) whereas MO sometimes tries to do to much, therefore, I give the edge to AM as first back up. I'd like
      to see JE a little more at PF. I see our team weaknesses as poor ball movement and no frontline players that can play with
      their backs to the basket effectively - but some of that is on the perimeter guys not getting them the ball when they have
      established good position or flashing open after setting screens and moving to the rim

Comment

"At point, both JB and GS are a little slow and methodical. They both dribble to much and don't even look to pass inside."

I agree. I wanna see more Fernandes
        Last edited by pinstripers; November 29, 2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Last year dennis asked to come off the bench instead of start. That seemed to put his game at another (better ) level. Maybe the same would work this year?
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Last year dennis asked to come off the bench instead of start. That seemed to put his game at another (better ) level. Maybe the same would work this year?
            That might be worth a try the way Dexter is playing at this point.

Comment

If I had a dollar for every time I yelled ",MOVE THE BALL!!!", I'd be dining at Chesters tonight....dribbling was unreal...

Comment

It’s time for Marshall to step up the offense. They need to be moving.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  "At point, both JB and GS are a little slow and methodical. They both dribble to much and don't even look to pass inside."

I agree. I wanna see more Fernandes
                  Agree. I want an aggressive PG. Find someone who wants to attack the paint. That ball needs to be entering the paint in drives or passes. Erik needs to assume leadership and take this team by the balls because his attitude is on point.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Agree. I want an aggressive PG. Find someone who wants to attack the paint. That ball needs to be entering the paint in drives or passes. Erik needs to assume leadership and take this team by the balls because his attitude is on point.
                    Funny you say that. On a recent coaches show, 3G was somewhat critical of Erik trying to do too much. He told Erik he needs to let the PG do the dribbling while he is the receiver that delivers the dagger (something g to that effect). I get the feeling that Erik is frustrated that his PGs aren’t doing the job so he’s going to do it for them. Clearly this doesn’t help the team, but it’s human nature to try to take over when things are going as planned. Afterall, we watched an entire season last year of having 2 seniors do that very thing.

Comment

WSU is top 30 in the nation in assist to turnover margin; in turnover margin WSU is tied for 32. In turnovers per game WSU is tied for 15th best.

Guard play is not WSU's biggest concern in the early going. NF isn't ready for starter minutes.

Getting out-rebounded at a count of 48-31 is a big concern. But, it was only one game. WSU isn't going to play many more games this year against team's with a front-line like WVU put out there. When motivated Tshiebwe (18 rbs.) and Culver (9 rbs.) are going to be hard for any team to handle on the glass. I did like the way JE competed against their bigs', but AM has got to give them a little more on the glass however (ZERO rbs.).

It was just one game. Not worried.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                        If I had a dollar for every time I yelled ",MOVE THE BALL!!!", I'd be dining at Chesters tonight....dribbling was unreal...
                        Originally posted by shock View Post
                        It’s time for Marshall to step up the offense. They need to be moving.
                        I haven't said much of anything about the WVU game or at times in other games when our offense looks in low gear. The reason why is that I don't need to hear the "in Marshall we trust" or "why aren't you making the big bucks" comment. It is strictly a personal preference on the type of offense I like to watch. If you know who Pete Corril is and the "Princeton offense", you'll know a little more about what I'm talking about. Also, this isn't about just this year. Fortunately, players like FVV seem to have a special knack regardless of the offenses being run.

IMHO, we seldom make quick, crisp passes. Almost never make a second, and especially a third, pass quickly without holding, dribbling, faking a shot, or pivoting with the ball. We are forever giving the defense time to catch up to their man (or the D is already by their man). This isn't just about the PG, but all the positions on the court. The open man is generally not going to be the player receiving the first pass, unless there is a hell of a screen. That open shot is on the second or third quick pass, arriving to receiver as he is just getting to his destination spot.

What was the first thing WVU did to disrupt our "planned" offense? Hassle our PG and cut off that first pass to the right a little ways outside the 3 point arc to start the play. It looked like "now what do we do".

We are very young still and that can contribute a lot to this. Nevertheless, I've watched experienced Marshall teams stagnate on offense. I believe, at this point anyway, we have a very deep bench with a lot of smart, willing to work hard players. Make the other team have to chase you and the ball on offense and never give a moment's rest on defense. Be unpredictable from one offensive possession to another. I'll sit back down in my rocker now.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I haven't said much of anything about the WVU game or at times in other games when our offense looks in low gear. The reason why is that I don't need to hear the "in Marshall we trust" or "why aren't you making the big bucks" comment. It is strictly a personal preference on the type of offense I like to watch. If you know who Pete Corril is and the "Princeton offense", you'll know a little more about what I'm talking about. Also, this isn't about just this year. Fortunately, players like FVV seem to have a special knack regardless of the offenses being run.

IMHO, we seldom make quick, crisp passes. Almost never make a second, and especially a third, pass quickly without holding, dribbling, faking a shot, or pivoting with the ball. We are forever giving the defense time to catch up to their man (or the D is already by their man). This isn't just about the PG, but all the positions on the court. The open man is generally not going to be the player receiving the first pass, unless there is a hell of a screen. That open shot is on the second or third quick pass, arriving to receiver as he is just getting to his destination spot.

What was the first thing WVU did to disrupt our "planned" offense? Hassle our PG and cut off that first pass to the right a little ways outside the 3 point arc to start the play. It looked like "now what do we do".

We are very young still and that can contribute a lot to this. Nevertheless, I've watched experienced Marshall teams stagnate on offense. I believe, at this point anyway, we have a very deep bench with a lot of smart, willing to work hard players. Make the other team have to chase you and the ball on offense and never give a moment's rest on defense. Be unpredictable from one offensive possession to another. I'll sit back down in my rocker now.
                          Last year Marshall cut back the offense because of the sheer “immaturity” of our players. Now, it’s clear he has added to the offense but it’s still slow, predictable, and susceptible to stymie by someone who studies it for multiple games. It will be this teams downfall in conference play.

Now the answer to that is what I expect we will see over the next month. We have Central Arkansas to start implementing more depth to the offense, Ok St to give it a test and iron out some kinks, OU and VCU to take it to the brink, ACU and ECU to add the final touches, Ole Miss to put it all together before taking on Memphis and getting into conference play.

This first half of the OCC has given Marshall a good idea of his line up. Who we see start against CAU will be who get the nod the rest of the season barring injury. Expect to see the score run up on all when they can.

Comment

Can not wait to see what lineup looks like on Thursday.

Comment

Here's my stab at it.

PG: GS (last chance for top mins for GS), JB, NF
                              SG: ES, TE, NF
                              SF: DD, ES, JB
                              PF: TW, IPBC, DD
                              C: JE, MO, IPBC, AM

Comment

Working...
                              X