Wichita State vs. Gardner-Webb (North Carolina) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
    Hope we continue with our toughnes's in the paint. Going to need it against ORU. They are really beefy and rebound pretty good. Go shocks.
    i did not realize until I heard a Dave Dahl say it after last night’s game, but Chadrack Lufile’s brother, Elijah, plays for ORU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post

i did not realize until I heard a Dave Dahl say it after last night’s game, but Chadrack Lufile’s brother, Elijah, plays for ORU.

So that's the one not named Meshack (Shack) or Abednego (Benny)? Man, his parents are fortunate they had at least three boys.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
        How hard is it for Midtgaard to take the ball back up when he gets an offensive rebound? I saw at least two instances where he should have shot it, but instead threw the ball back outside.
        I kind of prefer the kick it back out. Interior rebounds like that lend themselves to lots of flailing about by offenise and defensive players, and rarely is a foul called. SO unless you're skilled at putting it in the basket....funny how where we were sitting I heard "kick it back out quickly" and it turned out OK, except once where he traveled I think. Know your strengths. Play to them.

Comment

• Also I see the Big Midt gets missed when he's open more than anybody I've ever seen since... Well not sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            Cdizzle is right about AM not being the focus of the offense but screens and screens and screens which helps
            create space, lanes and open shots for team mates and then he hits the offensive boards. On many
            occasions I've noticed that our guards often get rebounds around the basket because the big guy has
            blocked out so well. The offense or defense does not drop off with him in there.

Agreed.

He plays an important role for the offense when he's in there. It's obvious that was the case last March and April.

Comment

• Good win, now time to get tested!
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                Good win, now time to get tested!
                Oral Roberts is a test?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

You didn't know that JE would be hurt.
                  People always get hurt. My vote is all hands on deck. Including Bilau if they can get him healthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
                    Also I see the Big Midt gets missed when he's open more than anybody I've ever seen since... Well not sure.
                    Is it that he gets missed or is it that his teammates do not have enough confidence in his scoring ability they don't even try to get him the ball?

It is the same with put backs. I don't know if it is confidence or ability but it doesn't seem AM is comfortable scoring in crowds.
                    Last edited by jdmee; November 20, 2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

Oral Roberts is a test?
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post

I kind of prefer the kick it back out. Interior rebounds like that lend themselves to lots of flailing about by offenise and defensive players, and rarely is a foul called. SO unless you're skilled at putting it in the basket....funny how where we were sitting I heard "kick it back out quickly" and it turned out OK, except once where he traveled I think. Know your strengths. Play to them.
                        The time he traveled the problem was that nobody came to get the ball. He was looking for someone to pass to but there wasn't anyone so he had to put it on the floor with a predictable result.
                        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Midtgard was playing pretty well the last half of the year last year following playing against UCF. He hasn't been very good this year and his role will be a sporadic based on his strengths as a basketball player.

Midt's strength isn't against teams like those we've played so far who have smaller, and quicker post players, some of whom go out on the perimeter to play offense (his strengths are definitely not on offense and never have been although he does set good screens and the pick/roll offense is better suited to his strengths).

AM's strengths are best suited to play against other BIG post players like Tacko Fall (UCF), and Elijah Thomas (Clemson) where his immense strength, height, long reach, and ability to set up a defensive wall that bothers those types of players, and does not give up easy baskets. I would suspect that he may be destined to play more minutes against teams who have post players like these guys. Mo can set up a wall like AM but isn't as tall so he doesn't bother those big post players as much but he can go out on the perimeter and play defense against quicker post players where AM struggles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                            Midtgard was playing pretty well the last half of the year last year following playing against UCF. He hasn't been very good this year and his role will be a sporadic based on his strengths as a basketball player.

Midt's strength isn't against teams like those we've played so far who have smaller, and quicker post players, some of whom go out on the perimeter to play offense (his strengths are definitely not on offense and never have been although he does set good screens and the pick/roll offense is better suited to his strengths).

AM's strengths are best suited to play against other BIG post players like Tacko Fall (UCF), and Elijah Thomas (Clemson) where his immense strength, height, long reach, and ability to set up a defensive wall that bothers those types of players, and does not give up easy baskets. I would suspect that he may be destined to play more minutes against teams who have post players like these guys. Mo can set up a wall like AM but isn't as tall so he doesn't bother those big post players as much but he can go out on the perimeter and play defense against quicker post players.
                            Great post. You are absolutely correct.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Not sure if it was noted...but my favorite part of the game was when Herrs made that floater in the paint and the bench went crazy for him, jumping up and down and cheering. That's great to see.

Comment

• I am really enjoying the team this year and the depth at guards. That is the state of hoops these days, having guards that can shoot vs big guys in the paint. Cool thing is we have both! We are going to play 10-12 guys any given night based on matchups and talent. Really like the addition of T Wade.

With so much young talent, I just hope they can all get enough minutes to stick around for a couple of years and maybe even go to a Final 4 again! I think they have the right mix this year to dance again, and as we all know anything is possible in March if you are peaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X