Trey Wade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trey Wade

Teddy who? Anybody remember that guy's last name?

I believe we've upgraded both on and off the court. I had no clue that Wade would be better from 3 than McDuffie and fight for boards a lot harder than McDuffie. And that's not a knock on McDuffie. It will be harder for Wade once we hit better competition, but he's got the fastest start I've seen from a JuCo guy.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Memphis Houston Wichita State

Comment

Good point about the JUCO fast start. Almost all our JUCO guys have taken at least 1 semester. Carl Hall is maybe the only exception.

Comment

He's not a normal JUCO guy. That year at UTEP gave him some valuable D1 experience and he certainly worked to improve himself once he got back. I'm just impressed that his motor comes with great control. I don't want to knock MM but I always had the impression of a run away train sometimes watching him on the court. Wade plays with an intensity that can't be coached.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
          He's not a normal JUCO guy. That year at UTEP gave him some valuable D1 experience and he certainly worked to improve himself once he got back. I'm just impressed that his motor comes with great control. I don't want to knock MM but I always had the impression of a run away train sometimes watching him on the court. Wade plays with an intensity that can't be coached.
          I always thought MM and SHJ had tools but lacked in the BBIQ department. Our newcomers seem to have an extremely high BBIQ and I find it much more enjoyable to watch.

Comment

MM was always best as a 3rd or 4th option. Not the primary. He could sneak in and clean up in the paint, and get lost for an open 3. He didn't do as well creating his shot, but had his moments.

If we had McDuffie on this team, we would be a favorite to win the AAC.

Having said that, I think Wade can be the man.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              Teddy who? Anybody remember that guy's last name?

I believe we've upgraded both on and off the court. I had no clue that Wade would be better from 3 than McDuffie and fight for boards a lot harder than McDuffie. And that's not a knock on McDuffie. It will be harder for Wade once we hit better competition, but he's got the fastest start I've seen from a JuCo guy.
              Trey Wade was a 32.7% 3PT shooter on 16/49 in his freshman year at UTEP and has played one game at Wichita State, against a 175-ish KenPom team. Let's slow down before we say he's a better 3PT shooter than McDuffie. MM shot 34.1% from 3 last season on 84/246 attempts and a 25.2% usage rate. That's pretty tough to do considering there was only one player (DD) last season who was a really consistent perimeter threat.

They're different players with very different body types. Wade's body is more equipped to score at all three levels than McDuffie's was.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Way too early to say he is better than MM. We've seen him play against one D1 team, and although he has D1 experience, the best team they played against while he was at UTEP was Wake Forest. MM consistently performed well against good teams and was a top-5 scorer in the AAC last year. Wade has showed a lot of promise but we should slow down on these types of discussions. SHJ also had good games in the non-con when he first got here and then didn't play the rest of the year.

Comment

I don't know -- or even care -- if Wade will be better than MM at the 3 (seems unlikely, but if he is, my gosh).

He's a freakin' stud and will help us in so many ways it's hard to count them all.

And if you go back to our summer scrimmage thread and you didn't fawn all over him after watching him for the first time, you can't be on my scouting team. It's okay that you missed the glaring, shiney bright star in the room -- I still love you Mr. Shocker fan -- but you just don't get to be one of my scouts, that's all.
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

at this point, he APPEARS to be a more complete player than MM

Comment

Wade is also benefiting from spacing created by two other players we didn't have last year, Sherfield and Etienne(including the exhibition game returners not named Dex have made 1 3 pointer, and all scholarship returners have shot a combined 26-72 36.1% from the floor worse than last year's entire team shot). So let's definitely slow our roll on the MM comparisons for now.

Comment

The three point line is further away than last year. That will make 3 pt shooting comparisons tricky this season.
                        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I'll also add that Wade had 19 points being the 3rd or 4th option. He got his points the hard way. Imagine what he might do if the offense ran through him (not saying it should).

Comment

Don't stress fellow shockernet enthusiast. You are not a cheating on Mr. McDuffie because Trey Wade is showing so much promise as a new Shocker. To give Marcus McDuffie his due, I thought he had an excellent year last year as our #1 option on offense. I would say he had a green light to shoot on last years team as I have seen during the Marshall era. We had to have him produce and he did during his Sr. year. Long player and smooth operator.

Trey Wade is a better rebounder and he has better leaping ability. It is apparent that he has a nose for the ball and I like how physical he is playing. Competition will get tougher, but I expect him to keep getting better and better. As coach Marshall pointed out during his rap up in recruiting, , he was a plan A signing. Coach seems a little surprised that he has done so well this early, but compliments from Gregg have me excited about his future as a Shocker. Seems to be a threat at all three levels with the three point shot, post up game, and the ability to drive the ball to the bucket. Have a lot of confidence in this young man and his future. Enjoy our good fortune of landing him with an assist going to Grant Sherfield. Not a bad weekend on the recruiting trail.

Comment

Originally posted by homegrownshocker View Post
                              Don't stress fellow shockernet enthusiast. You are not a cheating on Mr. McDuffie because Trey Wade is showing so much promise as a new Shocker. To give Marcus McDuffie his due, I thought he had an excellent year last year as our #1 option on offense. I would say he had a green light to shoot on last years team as I have seen during the Marshall era. We had to have him produce and he did during his Sr. year. Long player and smooth operator.

Trey Wade is a better rebounder and he has better leaping ability. It is apparent that he has a nose for the ball and I like how physical he is playing. Competition will get tougher, but I expect him to keep getting better and better. As coach Marshall pointed out during his rap up in recruiting, , he was a plan A signing. Coach seems a little surprised that he has done so well this early, but compliments from Gregg have me excited about his future as a Shocker. Seems to be a threat at all three levels with the three point shot, post up game, and the ability to drive the ball to the bucket. Have a lot of confidence in this young man and his future. Enjoy our good fortune of landing him with an assist going to Grant Sherfield. Not a bad weekend on the recruiting trail.
                              I’m super stoked about Wade! He showed everything you’d possibly want to see last Saturday. I’m waiting for more data before I proclaim anything.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X